post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to be Irish: for cigar

Newspaper columnist Adrienne Cook observed that "St. Patrick's Day is an enchanted time -- a day to begin transforming winter's dreams into summer's magic." Well, it’s also a day when regular folks all around the world transform themselves into Irishmen for a 24-hour period.

Luckily for you, I created a comprehensive guide on how to seem more Irish than you really are, thereby, making the metamorphosis easier than ever. Our suggestions eschew the typical blather and blarney in favor of brilliant tips that you can really use. Grab a pint of your favorite stout and start learning how to seem more Irish than you really are!

Adopt an Irish brogue
The surest way of passing yourself off as a genuine Son of Erin is to adopt an Irish brogue, or accent. Brogue originally referred to a type of coarse leather shoe, and since to most observers, the Irish sound as though they’re struggling to talk with cheap footwear lodged in their mouths, it makes sense that the word would come to mean an Irish accent. If you want to seem more Irish than you really are, your own brogue should be thick, rich and more difficult to understand than quantum mechanics.

If you’re not immediately familiar with the accent’s lovely -- and frequently incomprehensible -- lilts, then rent a movie like Waking Ned Devine, Angela’s Ashes or The Wind That Shakes the Barley, starring Cork native Cillian Murphy. If that sounds like too much work, simply down some Guinness and start chatting away, making sure to pepper your conversation with plenty of “dis,” “dat,” “dese,” and “dose.” You’ll soon discover that an Irish brogue and the wonderful language of “drunkenese” are remarkably close bedfellows.

Wear a little green or orange… but never together
Although most Irishmen aren’t particularly fashion conscious, they do have very strong feelings when it comes to the colors green and orange. That’s because orange has come to represent the Protestant Church while green has come to represent the Catholic Church. In the interest of not offending either party, it’s best not to mix the two colors in a single outfit. If you insist on wearing either shade, go with green since it has become the official color of St. Paddy’s Day.

Learn to tell a tall tale
Oscar Wilde once told fellow countryman William Butler Yeats, “We Irish… are a brilliant nation of failures, but we are the greatest talkers since the Greeks.” He certainly had a point. Just as Canadians are born with the ability to build an igloo, the Irish are born with an innate ability to regale audiences with a tall tale. Although this God-given gift o’ gab runs the gamut from amusing anecdotes to far-flung fairy tales, the stories themselves are always told with humor, conviction and just a wee bit of exaggeration. Bear in mind that the object of telling tales is to keep your audience entertained, so feel free to inject as much hyperbole and good old-fashioned debauchery as you feel the situation merits.

Swear like a motherfucker
Anyone who has seen Colin Farrell interviewed will suspect that the entire nation of Ireland is suffering from a collective case of oral dysentery. Many words that are deemed deeply offensive in America are thrown about freely in Ireland to spice up conversations, enliven stories or to simply greet one’s mother. So, start cussing like a sailor on shore leave and you’ll be guaranteed to fit right in.

Make fun of the Scottish
It has been said that proximity breeds contempt, which is probably why the Irish delight in making jokes at the expensive of their Scottish neighbors. You too can join in on the fun by memorizing these playful zingers about the country where men are men and sheep are nervous:

Q. What do you call a Scot with a sheep under each arm?
A. A pimp.

Q. What do you call six weeks of rain in Scotland?
A. Summer!

Q. How do you disperse an angry Scottish mob?
A. Nae bother -- just take up a collection.

Learn a blessing or two
Whether Catholic or Protestant, the Irish are a deeply religious people who spew blessings at the same rate that some folks exhale. Do your best to blend in by memorizing these three evocative blessings:

1- “May the good Lord take a liking to you… but none too soon!”;

2- “May your glass be ever full, may the roof over your head be always strong, and may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.”;

3- “May love and laughter light your days, and warm your heart and home. May good and faithful friends be yours, wherever you may roam. May peace and plenty bless your world with joy that long endures. May all life's passing seasons bring the best to you and yours!”
Get a severe sunburn
Perhaps it’s the nature of living on one of the planet’s largest bogs, but Irishmen rarely seem to get a decent tan. In fact, many of Erin’s sons have been known to get a third-degree burn simply from sitting next to a fluorescent light bulb. You too can appear to be Irish by adding some of your girlfriend’s rouge to your cheeks neck and forehead. While you’re at it, borrow her eyebrow pencil to generously apply freckles all over your crimson red mug.

Give yourself an Irish name
Convince others of your infallible Celtic heritage and give yourself a proper Irish name. Common Irish surnames include Murphy, McDonnell, McDonald, O’Connor, Callaghan, and Fitzgerald, while common first names include Ryan, Angus, Devin, Finnegan, and Seamus. When in doubt, simply tack on an “O’” or a “Mc” to your name and you’ll be off to the races faster than you can say “Paddy O’Lantern.”
irish eyes are smiling

Having an Irish name and a pint in your hand is just part of the equation. If you truly want to seem more Irish than you are, it’s important to adopt other Celtic traits like being easygoing, good-humored, lighthearted and quick to jest. Wherever you go and whatever you do, may the luck of the Irish be there with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I'll make sure I wear the green dress to work.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 07:34 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Be careful buddy, make sure you wear one o yosey's ballistic green dresses. Hey a man must protect his brass balls.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I've too big a shillelagh to be Irish, I fear, but it won't put me off from 'avin my beer.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
A man was in the restroom taking a leak when a midget walked in and flopped out the biggest dick he'd ever seen and began to piss.

The man, astounded by the size of this little man's cock, exclaims, "Man, I'm not queer or nuthin' but that's the biggest dick I've ever seen. Any secrets to having a cock that size?"
In the midget's little squeaky voice, he said, "Why certainly. You see, I'm a Leprechaun."
"A Leprechaun? Geezuzah! What bullshit!"
The midget continued,"Have you ever seen a cock this big? In the movies? Anywhere?"
"Well, No . . ."
"You see, my height blessed man, you too can have a dick this size!"
"Really?"
"Absolutely!", shouted the Leprechaun.
"Tell me how."
"This is what you do. Follow me to the stall and pull down your pants."
"Uh, I don't know about this ..."
"Do you really want a cock this size? If you do, you'll do what I tell you!"
So the half drunk guy wanders into the stall and pulls down his pants to ankles.
Then, the short guy tells him to bend over and he complies. About the time he does, the little midget slammed the bathroom stall, jumped on the toilet and plunged his huge cock right up the guy's ass.

"Tell me sir", began the Leprechaun, "How old are you?"

Between grunts, the man managed to get out "32".

The midget pulls it out and shoots a load on his back, exclaiming, "And you still believe in Leprechauns?"

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in