post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Surely A Large Human
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Originally Posted by mr.dirt View Post
Hitachi has shut down their Plasma mfg line last fall, Samsung and Panasonic will do same by July.

Plasma mfg cost (development vs rejects for defects vs MSRP) does not egneraet a profit and these days not even the Japs can afford to market "vanity" goods!

Plasma had a major issue with burn in of data/logos that were on the screen for long perios of time. CBS and FOX replaced their studio monitors (the ones you see beind Coric and Shepard ) every 90 days due to image burn in.

I remember when Panasonic introduced the first 30 in Plasma back in 95 (at $30K a pop) and they said it was great image but they had a small problem...well they never figured out how to lick it.

Not to mention Plasma sets draw major watts even when off and add close to $300 a year to your electric bill.

I like my LCD Phillips and I cobbled up a toy that can pan and tilt the set to face whatever chair I am sitting in and thus no off angle problems.
Anyone whose ever watched a panning shot on a plasma display knows that they were always shit, and any promises to the contrary by any manufacturer were damned lies.
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 03:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Ericthenorse View Post
You might want to read it again......

Tite of post..... "LCD vs. DLP vs. HDTV"....

Body of post..... "LCD wins everytime. anything else is a waste of funds."

Don't know how I could have misread that...... If he is comparing LCD vs DLP as an HDTV platform, he forgot to say it... You are reading things into his post....

And yes, plasma is predominantly avalible in larger models. Larger usually=more expensive... More expensive=high end.....The cheapest ones I have seen start around $700..... That is "high end" as far as I am concerned....

DLP uses a series of mirrors, lenses and filters to make the picture, but the initial light source comes from an LED..... What they do with that light after it is produced is where the technology gets interesting.... So, yes, it is LED based......
Actually, I believe that LCDs cost more per inch than do plasmas. I haven't done the math, but I have always noticed how much more (per inch) my LCDs are than comparable plasmas. That's what I call "high end!"

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: