Dow Jumps More Than 400 Points! - Page 32 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #311 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
More good news...

Personal income rises, inflation moderates

Friday March 28, 9:09 am ET


WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. personal income rose more than expected in February as the economy teetered on the brink of a recession, while both personal spending and a key price measure increased only slightly, a government report showed on Friday...

Personal income rises, inflation moderates: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #312 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
It is worth remembering that financial "experts" like you have predicted ten of the last four recessions. Keep up the good work!
Actually I am 3 for 3 but I hadn't actually counted until your post made me think about it. I called this one back in Sept 2006 when it was starting, I called the 2000-2002 one as it was an inevitable conclusion to the dot.com bubble and I called the 1988-1994 one as it was the result of too many years of Trickledown that only works for a small percentage of the population. There are a few smaller ones that I totally missed.

But frankly, anyone with the ability to read should have been able to pick out those three pretty early and saved themselves some money so I don't particularly profess great skill in calling them. I simply call em like I see em.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #313 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Actually I am 3 for 3 but I hadn't actually counted until your post made me think about it. I called this one back in Sept 2006 when it was starting, I called the 2000-2002 one as it was an inevitable conclusion to the dot.com bubble and I called the 1988-1994 one as it was the result of too many years of Trickledown that only works for a small percentage of the population. There are a few smaller ones that I totally missed.

But frankly, anyone with the ability to read should have been able to pick out those three pretty early and saved themselves some money so I don't particularly profess great skill in calling them. I simply call em like I see em.
I think you may have had a premature ejaculation there bear... "This one..." as you called it, does not even exist according to any definition of which I am aware.

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
post #314 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Personal income rises, inflation moderates

Friday March 28, 9:09 am ET


WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. personal income rose more than expected in February as the economy teetered on the brink of a recession, while both personal spending and a key price measure increased only slightly, a government report showed on Friday...

Personal income rises, inflation moderates: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance
This is good. COLA raises started taking effect for the year.

Only thing I don't like about the article is this paragraph:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTFA
The personal consumption expenditure price index, a key measure of inflation, rose 0.1 percent in February after a downwardly revised increase of 0.3 percent in January. Excluding volatile food and energy costs, the personal consumption expenditure index also rose just 0.1 percent, in line with analyst expectations.
So they take out two of the biggest triggers of inflation, and the two biggest impacts to American's pocketbooks when they calculate the "inflation moderates" number.

And interestingly, neither food nor energy prices are that volatile, both have been steadily going up and UP at 4-5X inflation rates for the past 8 years as they are somewhat intertwined.

So the correct numbers to watch would be the aggregate inflation number, with EVERYTHING counted versus the wage gain and see if the wage gain kept up with inflation.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #315 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
This is good. COLA raises started taking effect for the year.

Only thing I don't like about the article is this paragraph:

So they take out two of the biggest triggers of inflation, and the two biggest impacts to American's pocketbooks when they calculate the "inflation moderates" number.

And interestingly, neither food nor energy prices are that volatile, both have been steadily going up and UP at 4-5X inflation rates for the past 8 years as they are somewhat intertwined.

So the correct numbers to watch would be the aggregate inflation number, with EVERYTHING counted versus the wage gain and see if the wage gain kept up with inflation.
As the hooker w/ a glass eye always tells me... "I'll keep an eye out for you... and those numbers."

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
post #316 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I think you may have had a premature ejaculation there bear... "This one..." as you called it, does not even exist according to any definition of which I am aware.
This one fully exists. It only "doesn't exist" on the technical definition which, from everything I read is starting to be revised as it no longer reflects the reality of defining the parameters of a recession.

Unfortunately, it is a recession. The only people who keep going back to old textbook definitions are those who need to spin it otherwise. By the time this one is through, that "6 month compression" definition will be a think of the past as it already is with many.

Put another way, the FED does not react with an open checkbook to a non- existent economic condition. Afterall, Bernanke's one subject of expertise is the Great Depression.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #317 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:13 AM
~BANNED~
 
Jakarta Expat's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 17,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
As the hooker w/ a glass eye always tells me... "I'll keep an eye out for you... and those numbers."

Why don't you keep an eye for people like these..............

Food bank for the middle class

CNN's Thelma Gutierrez reports an increase in middle class Americans who are turning to their local food banks for help.

middle class with - Yahoo! Video
Jakarta Expat is offline  
post #318 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
As the hooker w/ a glass eye always tells me... "I'll keep an eye out for you... and those numbers."
From the BLS February report, looks like annual wage increase numbers are at 2.1% and total inflation numbers at 4.0% [both Feb to Feb].

Two of the things that brought February's inflation numbers down was women's retail sales markdowns and non alcoholic beverages [???] So, it seems that you can get good discounts of women's underwear and diet coke at this point in time.

I'm just sayin'

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #319 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:41 AM
~BANNED~
 
Jakarta Expat's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 17,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
From the BLS February report, looks like annual wage increase numbers are at 2.1% and total inflation numbers at 4.0% [both Feb to Feb].

Two of the things that brought February's inflation numbers down was women's retail sales markdowns and non alcoholic beverages [???] So, it seems that you can get good discounts of women's underwear and diet coke at this point in time.

I'm just sayin'


You must be very perceptive Bear to have picked up on Jay's everyday needs while you had dinner with him....................
Jakarta Expat is offline  
post #320 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
This one fully exists. It only "doesn't exist" on the technical definition which, from everything I read is starting to be revised as it no longer reflects the reality of defining the parameters of a recession.

Unfortunately, it is a recession. The only people who keep going back to old textbook definitions are those who need to spin it otherwise. By the time this one is through, that "6 month compression" definition will be a think of the past as it already is with many.

Put another way, the FED does not react with an open checkbook to a non- existent economic condition. Afterall, Bernanke's one subject of expertise is the Great Depression.
Until we get two quarters of down GDP "this recession" does not exist. No one can deny that we are in a slowdown in some sectors of the economy, but to continue to call it a recession is just more fear-mongering BS (Bear Shit)!

Put another way, the FED acted to PREVENT a recession, and I think they did just that.

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Fox to buy Dow-Jones GHM Off-Topic 7 05-02-2007 02:38 AM
    Dow takes a dump FeelTheLove Off-Topic 0 03-13-2007 03:32 PM
    The Dead Duck Dow ends year in the red. FeelTheLove Off-Topic 35 01-04-2006 10:06 AM
    DOW < 10k mzsmbs Off-Topic 24 10-16-2004 10:03 AM
    OK, if Dow keeps doing the same tricks I might as well forget the '04 SLK :-[ MAX R170 SLK-Class 14 02-06-2002 04:27 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome