Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
More good news...

Personal income rises, inflation moderates

Friday March 28, 9:09 am ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. personal income rose more than expected in February as the economy teetered on the brink of a recession, while both personal spending and a key price measure increased only slightly, a government report showed on Friday...

Personal income rises, inflation moderates: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #312 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
It is worth remembering that financial "experts" like you have predicted ten of the last four recessions. Keep up the good work!
Actually I am 3 for 3 but I hadn't actually counted until your post made me think about it. I called this one back in Sept 2006 when it was starting, I called the 2000-2002 one as it was an inevitable conclusion to the dot.com bubble and I called the 1988-1994 one as it was the result of too many years of Trickledown that only works for a small percentage of the population. There are a few smaller ones that I totally missed.

But frankly, anyone with the ability to read should have been able to pick out those three pretty early and saved themselves some money so I don't particularly profess great skill in calling them. I simply call em like I see em.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #313 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Actually I am 3 for 3 but I hadn't actually counted until your post made me think about it. I called this one back in Sept 2006 when it was starting, I called the 2000-2002 one as it was an inevitable conclusion to the dot.com bubble and I called the 1988-1994 one as it was the result of too many years of Trickledown that only works for a small percentage of the population. There are a few smaller ones that I totally missed.

But frankly, anyone with the ability to read should have been able to pick out those three pretty early and saved themselves some money so I don't particularly profess great skill in calling them. I simply call em like I see em.
I think you may have had a premature ejaculation there bear... "This one..." as you called it, does not even exist according to any definition of which I am aware.

post #314 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Personal income rises, inflation moderates

Friday March 28, 9:09 am ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. personal income rose more than expected in February as the economy teetered on the brink of a recession, while both personal spending and a key price measure increased only slightly, a government report showed on Friday...

Personal income rises, inflation moderates: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance
This is good. COLA raises started taking effect for the year.

Only thing I don't like about the article is this paragraph:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTFA
The personal consumption expenditure price index, a key measure of inflation, rose 0.1 percent in February after a downwardly revised increase of 0.3 percent in January. Excluding volatile food and energy costs, the personal consumption expenditure index also rose just 0.1 percent, in line with analyst expectations.
So they take out two of the biggest triggers of inflation, and the two biggest impacts to American's pocketbooks when they calculate the "inflation moderates" number.

And interestingly, neither food nor energy prices are that volatile, both have been steadily going up and UP at 4-5X inflation rates for the past 8 years as they are somewhat intertwined.

So the correct numbers to watch would be the aggregate inflation number, with EVERYTHING counted versus the wage gain and see if the wage gain kept up with inflation.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #315 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
This is good. COLA raises started taking effect for the year.

Only thing I don't like about the article is this paragraph:

So they take out two of the biggest triggers of inflation, and the two biggest impacts to American's pocketbooks when they calculate the "inflation moderates" number.

And interestingly, neither food nor energy prices are that volatile, both have been steadily going up and UP at 4-5X inflation rates for the past 8 years as they are somewhat intertwined.

So the correct numbers to watch would be the aggregate inflation number, with EVERYTHING counted versus the wage gain and see if the wage gain kept up with inflation.
As the hooker w/ a glass eye always tells me... "I'll keep an eye out for you... and those numbers."

post #316 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I think you may have had a premature ejaculation there bear... "This one..." as you called it, does not even exist according to any definition of which I am aware.
This one fully exists. It only "doesn't exist" on the technical definition which, from everything I read is starting to be revised as it no longer reflects the reality of defining the parameters of a recession.

Unfortunately, it is a recession. The only people who keep going back to old textbook definitions are those who need to spin it otherwise. By the time this one is through, that "6 month compression" definition will be a think of the past as it already is with many.

Put another way, the FED does not react with an open checkbook to a non- existent economic condition. Afterall, Bernanke's one subject of expertise is the Great Depression.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #317 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:13 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
As the hooker w/ a glass eye always tells me... "I'll keep an eye out for you... and those numbers."

Why don't you keep an eye for people like these..............

Food bank for the middle class

CNN's Thelma Gutierrez reports an increase in middle class Americans who are turning to their local food banks for help.

middle class with - Yahoo! Video
post #318 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
From the BLS February report, looks like annual wage increase numbers are at 2.1% and total inflation numbers at 4.0% [both Feb to Feb].

Two of the things that brought February's inflation numbers down was women's retail sales markdowns and non alcoholic beverages [???] So, it seems that you can get good discounts of women's underwear and diet coke at this point in time.

I'm just sayin'

McBear,
Kentucky

post #319 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:41 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
From the BLS February report, looks like annual wage increase numbers are at 2.1% and total inflation numbers at 4.0% [both Feb to Feb].

Two of the things that brought February's inflation numbers down was women's retail sales markdowns and non alcoholic beverages [???] So, it seems that you can get good discounts of women's underwear and diet coke at this point in time.

I'm just sayin'

You must be very perceptive Bear to have picked up on Jay's everyday needs while you had dinner with him....................
post #320 of 437 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
This one fully exists. It only "doesn't exist" on the technical definition which, from everything I read is starting to be revised as it no longer reflects the reality of defining the parameters of a recession.

Unfortunately, it is a recession. The only people who keep going back to old textbook definitions are those who need to spin it otherwise. By the time this one is through, that "6 month compression" definition will be a think of the past as it already is with many.

Put another way, the FED does not react with an open checkbook to a non- existent economic condition. Afterall, Bernanke's one subject of expertise is the Great Depression.
Until we get two quarters of down GDP "this recession" does not exist. No one can deny that we are in a slowdown in some sectors of the economy, but to continue to call it a recession is just more fear-mongering BS (Bear Shit)!

Put another way, the FED acted to PREVENT a recession, and I think they did just that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in