post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Um, the Chicago economic model and Cabrini-Green has been taught in damned near every Economics School for the past 35 years.
Why? Cabrini Green was a minor to middle player in the low-income housing game in Chicago. All because of J.J.? I've been in Cabrini Green several times (and by that I mean I walked through the front door), and I've been in far worse places in Chicago.

It wasn't the biggest, it wasn't the most crime-riddled, it didn't have the worst reputation, and it certainly wasn't the most successful. It just was, and now it's gone.

Edit: If you want to see the real bad boy of Chicago housing projects, it's right here: Robert Taylor Homes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I've walked into Robert Taylor Homes as well, and it was frickin' terrifying.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I can only hope your sales tax goes to 20% at your local Wal-Mart bear... Then you can eat one of these
Um, in case you forgot, I refuse to shop at Wal-mart. I have not been in one in years.

They don't pay living wage
They don't pay women equal to men
They destroy small business in America by their importing rules to vendors

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBenz94 View Post
Economics school or class? Either way I dont remember anything about it in either my public education in California or my college courses at Northern Illinois University.

The problem with Chicago is the same as the rest of the state of Illinois, corruption.

Too, we have a case here of the tail wagging the dog(Chicago running Illinois) that does not do anyone any good here in this state.

Every tax payer here in Illinois pays for the Chicago Transit Authority because Chicago cant seem to run a bus system that is free from corruption(that nasty little word again) and is purpetually in the red. A bus system I and many others pay for but will most likely never use.
Economics School and it was taught as one of the models in the UC system when I got my Masters in 1980.

Corruption has always been the killer in Chicago. They seem to have it worse than any other large city besides Philly and Detroit, and all three seem to have similar issues going in.

CTA covers that rail system from OHare to the city and all the trains so that has to be expensive to keep going [and keep building]. It is a very nice system from the airport but I assume caters only to business and not as much to locals. I can see where the rural areas would get annoyed picking up the tab for the trains and buses.

How did the entire state get the privilege of paying for that? NYC has the Port Authority which covers all that kind of infrastructure so as not to burden the rest of the state with their debt [although in another post you can see they had to pay 20% on bonds to cover their notes for this year]

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
So the mobile rich people are going to cross the county line to shop. I suspect UPS & FedEx truck traffic is going to increase there also cause the order on-line business is going to boom.

So it looks like the poor non-mobile with out computers people suffer even more.

On, the "POOR" bastards.
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2k SlK230 / 2KSlk320 / 2000 Toyota Tacoma, 95 Land Rover D90 (done) Now looking for a series IIA
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Um, in case you forgot, I refuse to shop at Wal-mart. I have not been in one in years.

They don't pay living wage
They don't pay women equal to men
They destroy small business in America by their importing rules to vendors
There's much more to it than that.....
From personal dealings with Walfuckemmart here is what they will and do tell you as a vendor.
You Want to sell your product? Then You will follow our Recomended Guidelines....
1st "this is the starting price we will pay for your product" pretty low start.
2nd "If it sells we expect you to drop the price by 2% to us"
3rd " Then if you want to keep it on the shelf in our stores you will drop the price an addictional 3%"
4th "You will meet our volume demand and if you fail to do so you will pay Us an 5% short order fee"
"Other than that we will be happy to sell your product for you" Why the assholes.....
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
It's up to the vendors then isn't it
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Why? Cabrini Green was a minor to middle player in the low-income housing game in Chicago. All because of J.J.? I've been in Cabrini Green several times (and by that I mean I walked through the front door), and I've been in far worse places in Chicago.

It wasn't the biggest, it wasn't the most crime-riddled, it didn't have the worst reputation, and it certainly wasn't the most successful. It just was, and now it's gone.

Edit: If you want to see the real bad boy of Chicago housing projects, it's right here: Robert Taylor Homes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I've walked into Robert Taylor Homes as well, and it was frickin' terrifying.
I think it had to do with the timing of its building in the late 50s and its linkage with the urban renewal concept, both in Congress and in the media. As one of the earlier urban renewal projects on the national level it also became one of the first to have wide spread social problems and one of the first to get attention in the 60s by the media.

My best guess is that Chicago and Cabrini were used as models as many of the top Economists of the 50-70s [and their resulting textbooks] were coming out of the University of Chicago and the city and its socio-economic changes were a very fertile laboratory for their studies. It is, of course the home of "The Chicago School" of Economic Thought and Milton Friedman. So I would suspect that the local s/e changes would have been as much a topic of their conversation as the latest benz might be for some of us.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
It's up to the vendors then isn't it
You have never had your own business, have you?

McBear,
Kentucky

post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLR View Post
There's much more to it than that.....
From personal dealings with Walfuckemmart here is what they will and do tell you as a vendor.
You Want to sell your product? Then You will follow our Recomended Guidelines....
1st "this is the starting price we will pay for your product" pretty low start.
2nd "If it sells we expect you to drop the price by 2% to us"
3rd " Then if you want to keep it on the shelf in our stores you will drop the price an addictional 3%"
4th "You will meet our volume demand and if you fail to do so you will pay Us an 5% short order fee"
"Other than that we will be happy to sell your product for you" Why the assholes.....
I have a list even longer but didn't think it necessary. Sorry you have to deal with that.

I had my postcard racks in 5 walmarts back in the late 80s from my little side business. They kept bugging me to death to "drop the price" on a card I was already selling them for .06 each [and they retailed for .20]. I finally just took my racks out of their stores. That was the last time I have been in a walmart.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 08:42 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Come on BEAR, we all know that you are the smartest man here. Me and Yosey Implore you to use your skills to be funny in a simple mans way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in