This is sad........... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar XJR, 1994 E320(sold)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
This is sad...........

I hope this contract is recinded. It doesnt sit well with me at all.

U.S.-Europe Team Beats Out Boeing on Big Contract: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

My Car WOO HOO...... Now SOLD
New car.... 2001 Jaguar XJR!!!!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 02:33 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Whyever not?

You have to remember that trade is a 2-way street and Europeans have been buyers of US made airplanes and helicopters for decades.

Why should you not occasionally repay the compliment, if it makes commercial sense?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 06:11 AM
Membership withdrawn by request

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
I just got a pair of new krell power amp's from the US, maybe I should have brought Euro ? just because.
Attached Images

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 06:14 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It's Boeing's own damn fault. They were in the midst of a scandal in 2004 involving Air Force's weapons buyer, Darleen Druyun and the promise of jobs for herself, daughter and son-in-law at Boeing, in exchange for steering weapons contracts to Boeing. It is this scandal that has set up the present situation that opened up bidding to Northrop. It clearly says so in the article. Furthermore, it also said that the fueling tankers offered by Northrop and Airbus were larger and fit the specifications better than the Boeing proposal.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 07:39 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
hahahahahaha
now the right is crying foul, hahahahahaha
Let's wait a few days and we will hear of all of the layoffs this is going to bring about. Hey badbenz, how does it feel to have people like Bush at the helms? Jayhawk, how does it feel to see the dow drop 350 points while you were touting that the DOW was up 450?
I guess now it's time make some money out of the misery of others. I would short Boeing like dropping a hot potato.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 11:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
hahahahahaha
now the right is crying foul, hahahahahaha
Short of the person that started this thread who is crying?

Even if you don't figure in the past issues with this contract it is simple. Boeing offered an inferior product and should not have won.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
The best company one on this particular bid.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 03:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Actually Airbus sweetened the pot with a plant in Alabama so the US job market should do pretty well, depending on WHAT is actually made/assembled there. It is a shame for the Boeing folks, however, that contract would have gone a long way toward more US jobs than the winner and would have put airplanes in the sky faster.

Reading the debriefings will be interesting to see if Airbus actually had a better bid [bigger is not always better] or if Boeing was being punished.

Either way, my cousins who weld titanium in Seattle will be negatively impacted.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:07 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Pelosi points finger at McCain on Boeing

Pelosi points finger at McCain on Boeing

The controversy over the Pentagon decision to award a $35bn refuelling tanker contract to EADS spilled into the presidential race yesterday, when a senior Democrat suggested that John McCain, the Republican nominee, was responsible for the deal being "outsourced" to a European company.

Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic House speaker, said Boeing had been on course to supply the US Air Force with tankers until Mr McCain "intervened".

"My understanding is that it was on course for Boeing before. I mean, the thought was that it would be a domestic supplier for it," Ms Pelosi told reporters.

"Senator McCain intervened, and now we have a situation where the contract may be - this work may be outsourced."

The air force originally chose Boeing to supply it with 100 tankers. But Congress cancelled the deal after it emerged that Darleen Druyun, a former top air force acquisitions official, had held illegal job discussions with Boeing while still negotiating the deal. Ms Druyun admitted boosting the value of the deal to help Boeing.

Mr McCain has pointed to his aggressive investigation into the Boeing deal as evidence that he is willing to stand up to powerful corporate interests.

The tanker scandal claimed the career of former Boeing chief executive Phil Condit. Ms Druyun and Mike Sears, Boeing's former chief financial officer, were sent to jail.

The suggestion by Ms Pelosi came as Boeing supporters on Capitol Hill opened a new line of attack against the deal, which ultimately could be worth more than $100bn as the air force replaces its entire fleet of about 600 in-flight refuelling tankers.

Pat Roberts, a Republican senator from Kansas, where Boeing has a strong presence, claimed the decision to award the deal to EADS and Northrop Grumman, its US partner, ran counter to US trade policy.

Mr Roberts said the decision "defies common sense" because the US was pursuing a subsidies case against Airbus, a subsidiary of EADS, at the World Trade Organisation.

"This is an outrage. It truly makes me question our trade agenda," the Kansas senator told the Senate finance committee.

Mr Roberts' attack follows a spate of criticism in Congress. The decision stunned most analysts, who expected Boeing, which has supplied the US military with in-flight refuelling tankers for five decades, to win.

Boeing will have 10 days to lodge a protest with the Government Accountability Office, the oversight arm of Congress, after it receives an air force briefing.

FT.com / Companies / Aerospace & defence - Pelosi points finger at McCain on Boeing
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Mr. Roberts' outrage causes me to truly question our trade agenda. Why put something out for bid if you're going to get pissed off when your guy doesn't win? What a crock of bullshit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in