LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Obama victory will prolong US racial divide.

One of Britain’s most influential black figures today accused Barack Obama of cynically exploiting America’s racial divide and gave warning that he could prolong, rather than heal the rift.

Trevor Phillips, chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, claimed that the Democratic front-runner would ultimately disappoint the African-American community and dismissed the notion that he would be "the harbinger of a post-racial America" if he becomes the country’s first black President.

Writing in Prospect, the monthly current affairs magazine, Mr Phillips suggested that guilt over transatlantic slavery was behind Mr Obama’s support from middle class whites.

"If Obama can succeed, then maybe they can imagine that [Martin Luther] King's post-racial nirvana has arrived. A vote for Obama is a pain-free negation of their own racism. So long as they don't have to live next door to him; Obama has yet to win convincingly in white districts adjacent to black communities," he wrote.

Mr Phillips compared Mr Obama to Bill Cosby and Oprah Winfrey, prominent black “bargainers” – those who strike a deal with white America not to make an issue of historical racism if their own race is not used against them.

But, in a warning to the Democratic candidate, he added that Cosby now cut a “sad and lonely figure” because he had abandoned the moral weapon used by figures such as Marcus Garvey, Malcolm X and Jesse Jackson in insisting that “in the end, salvation for blacks won’t depend on the actions of whites.”

"In truth, Obama may be helping to postpone the arrival of a post-racial America and I think he knows it," Mr Phillips wrote. "If he wins, the cynicism may be worth it to him and his party. In the end he is a politician and a very good one: his job is to win elections."

He added: "If he fulfils the hopes of whites, he must disappoint blacks – and vice versa."

Mr Phillips said that there was no “British Obama” in part because the black British community was much smaller and therefore less likely to produce such high-achievers, and because “Black Britons can't bring centuries of white guilt to bear with the devastating impact that African-Americans have done for two generations”.

The equality chief, a former Labour politician and broadcaster said he did not expect Mr Obama ultimately to win the Democratic nomination, although he conceded it was possible. However, if he did come to power, Mr Obama would not emulate JFK, he predicted, but Bill Clinton, with all the "charm, skill and ruthless cynicism" that entailed.

Mr Phillips is no stranger to controversy, having drawn criticism for past comments on multiculturalism in British society. Ken Livingstone, the Mayor of London, once said he was a prime candidate for the far right British National Party and his appointment to the CEHR was bitterly opposed by a number of black organisations.

Obama victory will prolong US racial divide, says British equality chief - Times Online
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 12:59 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Obama is black? Never noticed. Irrelevent argument.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:01 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
One of Britain’s most influential black figures today accused Barack Obama of cynically exploiting America’s racial divide and gave warning that he could prolong, rather than heal the rift.
Bullshit, pure and simple.
post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was just saying to the wife over dinner last night that if it weren't for that Trans Atlantic Slavery thingie Obama wouldn't stand a chance. The guilt was so bad I couldn't finish dessert.

OK, I finished dessert but I didn't feel good about it.

OK, it was really good Chocolate Cream Pie from Ramsey's. I'm not so sure guilt was actually involved.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Obama is black? Never noticed. Irrelevent argument.
I would disagree. As much as most of us would like to think that race is irrelevent and does not matter it continues to play a large role in US politics - for all sides of the racial divide.

It may not matter to you individually nor many of the people you know but when you look at the population as a whole it does play a significant role in certain types of decisions.

Personally I could care less what color someone is but to many it does matter.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
And I thought O'Bama was Irish...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:29 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
No, no, no,....It's 'Go 'Bama'!
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:38 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 430 View Post
I would disagree. As much as most of us would like to think that race is irrelevent and does not matter it continues to play a large role in US politics - for all sides of the racial divide.

It may not matter to you individually nor many of the people you know but when you look at the population as a whole it does play a significant role in certain types of decisions.

Personally I could care less what color someone is but to many it does matter.
Ah yeah, but if you are not such a hypocrite I would have believed you. Don't you think this is the time to put forth what you believe in and in this case that color is not an issue as your call? Shouldn't you be more focused on convincing those that you believe are from the "good O'l boy" network to embrace today's realities rather than accept what they think as a lead to an outcome? This is a revolution, you are either with it or against it, where do you stand?
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Ah yeah, but if you are not such a hypocrite I would have believed you. Don't you think this is the time to put forth what you believe in and in this case that color is not an issue as your call? Shouldn't you be more focused on convincing those that you believe are from the "good O'l boy" network to embrace today's realities rather than accept what they think as a lead to an outcome? This is a revolution, you are either with it or against it, where do you stand?
Not sure why you are calling me a hypocrite? I am very clear on where I stand.

So when I get done preaching to those good ol boys to embrace the new reality should I preach to those homeboys that are voting for somone simply because of their color? As I stated before there are issues with both sides of the discussion.

Plenty of reasons to dislike Obama that have nothing to do with color.

If nationalizing health care, spending out of control, form over substance, and prostilitizing are your idea of a positive revolution I am very much against it.

I do not think that Obama is qualified nor do I agree with a vast majority of his positions.

Finally I do not think the man will win the presidential election. None of this has anything to do with his color. Hell, many of the reasons I dislike him are the same reasons I dislike Hitlary.

Then we have McCain who has not seen an issue he has not flip flopped on.

So what is a man to do? It comes down to the same shit different day in US politics - time to vote against someone and not for anyone. Who will do the least damage?

Why can't we get a "moderate" someone who is fiscally conservative and socially liberal? Someone who does not want to completly fuck up our healthcare by involving the gov't anymore than they already are. Someone who does not want to spend every penny they can draw against the credit line. Someone who will not bow to RIAA, MPAA, etc.

Last edited by 430; 02-28-2008 at 06:04 PM.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 06:04 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Ralph could fit the bill... but I have a feeling you would not consider it for other reasons which are:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in