GM exec stands by calling global warming a "crock" - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GM exec stands by calling global warming a "crock"

GM exec stands by calling global warming a "crock"

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp Vice Chairman Bob Lutz has defended remarks he made dismissing global warming as a "total crock of s---," saying his views had no bearing on GM's commitment to build environmentally friendly vehicles.

Lutz, GM's outspoken product development chief, has been under fire from Internet bloggers since last month when he was quoted as making the remark to reporters in Texas.

In a posting on his GM blog on Thursday, Lutz said those "spewing virtual vitriol" at him for minimizing the threat of climate change were "missing the big picture."

"What they should be doing in earnest is forming opinions, not about me but about GM and what this company is doing that is ... hugely beneficial to the causes they so enthusiastically claim to support," he said in a posting titled, "Talk About a Crock."

GM, the largest U.S. automaker by sales and market share, has been trying to change its image after taking years of heat for relying too much on sales of large sport-utility vehicles like the Hummer and not moving faster on fuel-saving hybrid technology.

"My thoughts on what has or hasn't been the cause of climate change have nothing to do with the decisions I make to advance the cause of General Motors," he wrote.

Lutz said GM was continuing development of the battery-powered, plug-in Chevy Volt and other alternatives to traditional internal combustion engines.

GM is racing against Toyota Motor Corp to be first to market a plug-in hybrid car that can be recharged at a standard electric outlet.

Lutz has previously said GM made a mistake by allowing Toyota to seize "the mantle of green respectability and technology leadership" with its market-leading Prius hybrid.

A 40-year auto industry veteran who joined GM earlier in the decade with a mandate to shake up its vehicle line-up, Lutz is no stranger to controversy.

As part of a campaign against higher fuel economy standards, Lutz wrote in a 2006 blog posting that forcing automakers to sell smaller cars would be "like trying to address the obesity problem in this country by forcing clothing manufacturers to sell smaller, tighter sizes."

Automakers ended their opposition to higher fuel standards in 2007 when it became clear that proposed changes would become law with or without their support.

In December, President George W. Bush signed a law mandating a 40 percent increase in fleetwide fuel economy by 2020, the first substantial change in three decades.

GM exec stands by calling global warming a crock | Environment | Reuters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 01:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post

As part of a campaign against higher fuel economy standards, Lutz wrote in a 2006 blog posting that forcing automakers to sell smaller cars would be "like trying to address the obesity problem in this country by forcing clothing manufacturers to sell smaller, tighter sizes."
Golden.

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
He could care less, his company has been fighting MPG standards for years, and pimping gas guzzling SUVs and pickup trucks.

That company is all about maximizing company profits FIRST, and building decent AUTOMOBILES SECOND.

That sentiment drives me away from buying their cars.

Their success or failure as a company NOW is as much concern to me as the bottom of my shoes. And I speak as someone who owned Chrevrolets Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Cadillacs, for many years.

Let other people buy them, not me. All I would want from them
now is a 1967 Chevelle SS396-375hp one for its nostalgia factor.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It's amazing to me how long it takes a company the size of GM to implode. They've done virtually nothing right in 10 years, have they?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade View Post

He could care less, his company has been fighting MPG standards for years, and pimping gas guzzling SUVs and pickup trucks.
Do you want the freedom to buy the car you want, or do you want the SUV gone? You can't have both. When the RWD V8 SUV goes extinct-- The RWD V8 Personal Luxury coupe isn't far behind.

So-- Do want your 1.5L FWD hybrid sedan in Toyota or Honda flavor?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNeon View Post
Do you want the freedom to buy the car you want, or do you want the SUV gone? You can't have both. When the RWD V8 SUV goes extinct-- The RWD V8 Personal Luxury coupe isn't far behind.

Are you familiar with what happened at the GM Assembly plant in Arlington Texas 1996?

When the final Buick Roadmasters, Cadillac Fleetwood Broughams, and Chevy Caprice/Impala SS - last of the GM BOF RWD V8 sedans, were discontinued at Arlington, because GM thought it could MAKE MORE MONEY by building pickup trucks and SUVs there, and GM killed a perfectly good line of cars, that they had a successful history of building well (notwithstanding less than stellar QC and build quality) - that absolutely did it for me with GM.

I had no interest in buying some cheap, FWD Chevy Celebrity or Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra, with an asthmatic smog controlled 6 cylinder sideways engine, that sounds like a vacuum cleaner with a leaky cannister when you stomp on the passing gear. And so, it seems, did the majority of American passenger car buyers. They went to the Japanese car makers instead.

If another recession comes, (and all indications is that it likely will, soon) those gas guzzling pickups and SUVS won't be worth $hit
in showrooms and on used car lots.

While I have no quarrel for people who USE them to their full extent, load them with passengers, camping gear, construction implements, hay, tow boats, trailers, put cords of wood in them, and all of that, the truth is the vast majority of them are piloted empty or cargo and by single drivers, so screw them for their wasteful bad judgment.

And screw GM for duping them into buying the monsters in the first place.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<

Last edited by cascade; 02-23-2008 at 04:54 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade View Post
Are you familiar with what happened at the GM Assembly plant in Arlington Texas 1996?
Are you familiar with what happened to Chrysler while under Daimler-Benz control?

There are no good guys in the offices on the top floors of these places. All I'm sayin'

It's business-- Why waste your RWD/V8 tooling and expertise to build unwanted V8/RWD sedans whenever there's a booming market for V8/RWD SUVs happening all around you?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2k SlK230 / 2KSlk320 / 2000 Toyota Tacoma, 95 Land Rover D90 (done) Now looking for a series IIA
They must be selling all the SUVs and other oversized trucks along with ultra high lift kits to the morons here in Utah..ha ha...

Everywhere here in Utah just about 2/3s of the Pickups and SUVs here are the biggest ones made and have ultra high lift kits installed with giant chrome wheels and all the "off road" goodys installed on em.

And you know damn well none of theses jackassed morons would not even have a clue yet alone dare to take that truck anywhere off the road besides their driveway.... and in their empty mind.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 06:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2k SlK230 / 2KSlk320 / 2000 Toyota Tacoma, 95 Land Rover D90 (done) Now looking for a series IIA
But Now a Reason to go south and BURN GAS! ......

House passes speed limit increase
February 23rd, 2008 @ 12:54pm
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Utah drivers may be able to hit the accelerator a little harder while driving through southern Utah.

The Utah House has passed a bill that would allow the Department of Transportation to raise the speed limit to 80 mph on Interstate 15 in areas between Nephi and Cedar City.

The Senate will now vote on the measure.

Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNeon View Post

60% of the new vehicles sold in Colorado are SUVs and pickup trucks, about the reverse of other parts of the US. If this has been a conspiracy on GM's part, that makes for a lot dupes living here. Californians call it stupidity; Coloradoans term it freedom of choice.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in