LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 97'C280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Obama vs. Hillary in Austin last night

I must say that Hillary had a better showing. Obama seemed to get "lost in translation" alot when Hillary made a point on something. he didn't seem as confident as Hillary either. I think he is withering under the storm.

vote for Ron Paul.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I thought Obama came across as more genuine, while HRC seemed to be some sort of stage production, with that frozen goofy smile of hers.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
He has never come off well against her in debates but most people have said it was a dead heat or she just scraped by and beat him but on average what I have read he did better than he usually does. She is just better at bullshitting, lying, scamming, flimflamming. call it what you want at least some around the country are starting to recognise it................
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 97'C280
(Thread Starter)
most of Obama's stance was cliche' talk of what America "needs" to do, not what he plans to do to get it done. I thought they both did a bit of showboating but at least Hillary has a hint of what it takes. I think Dems are not sure if they want a older white woman as their candidate and Obama just "feels" better in their minds. Democrats have always been "emotional" voters and not "issue based" voters. they don't really look at who can do the job, but more or less who they would "like" to have the job. not really a good way to vote.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The line where she went after him on his use of another person's speech was the most telling moment.

In law school I understand you are taught never to ask a question unless you know the answer. In debate you don't ask a question, or make a point without knowing the potential counter responses.

When she said "Lifting whole passages from someone else's speeches is not change you can believe in, it's change you can Xerox.", that should have been a solid knockout IF THEY HAD VETTED THE INFORMATION. Apparently they had not.

From Obama, "The notion that I had plagiarized from somebody who was one of my national co-chairs who gave me the line and suggested that I use it, I think, is silly, and you know, this is where we start getting into silly season, in politics, and I think people start getting discouraged about it."

The booing from the audience that came from her remarks and inability to move on showed a complete lack of judgment. It was very similar to the Iowa hit from John Edwards.

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
The line where she went after him on his use of another person's speech was the most telling moment.
Does this line from Hillary sound familiar?

Valedictory in Texas

Asked to describe "the moment that tested you the most," Clinton began: "Well, I think everybody here knows I've lived through some crises and some challenging moments in my life."

The crowd applauded, enthusiastically.

Then she continued.

"But people often ask me, ‘How do you do it?' You know, ‘How do you keep going?' And I just have to shake my head in wonderment, because with all of the challenges that I've had, they are nothing compared to what I see happening in the lives of Americans every single day."
Didn't Bill say the same thing back in the 90's? Nice to have that one on the shelf. So handy.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 11:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
I've posted before that on issues there is not whit of difference between them, but both seemed to get their steam up over health insurance. Maybe if we had an hour on that topic the debate would have been more fun to watch. The moderators seemed adrift at times.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 11:16 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 1995 500SL
Well it is true, HRC does have more experience, at flim flam, lying and fooling her supporters. Maybe she should follow Fred Thompson and go into acting, she can turn on the tears whenever necessary and she learns her lines quickly.

"Character is not the main thing, it is the only thing."
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Surely A Large Human
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I don't think people realize that she's still married to Bill. Electing her would be like re-electing him. You don't really think he's going to be content decorating Christmas trees and picking china patterns, do you?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Cruise Control
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon/'01 EV Weekender
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
No intern is safe
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: