post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Not a SC ruling on the merits of the case. It was a denial of acceptance, which is a different animal, right? Should a plaintiff with standing bring suit then it would go forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
The "standing" issue is a technicality, but one the ACLU should've been able to counter...except the federal gov refuses to release a list of those individuals and groups who have had their rights abridged by the gov's cowardly actions. This is a fucking disgrace. The SCOTUS has left the oversight building, and is sniffing asses on the side.
They can accurately call this the Joseph Heller ruling.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
There's another problem with your statement that requires a response.

Lawyers suing in class actions primarily have a wide choice of courts because the plaintiffs live in different states or all the states. Local actions give very little choice of venue; the case is taken by rotating judges in a local federal district or a county court.

In the case of the Florida Supreme Court in 2000, the court was biased to the Dems because it was largely (competely?) appointed by a Democrat controlled government. SCOTUS didn't allow Florida SC to prevail in a federal election decision that had implications for all 50 states. And, no, I'm not going to fight that over with you
Not a problem at all with what I wrote. Obviously, my point was that the action started in a friendly court with a Judge that was willing to work with the plaintiffs. The countersuits also started in friendly courts, etc, etc...

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Piggy backing on this thread, I stumbled across this tidbit in search of other video. The man has a very annoying camera as it clicks when he is snapping photos with his video cam but I suppose it does the job he intends.

He remains amazingly calm throughout. I've watched twice and listened to it 3 times and I have to hand it to him for guts. Forty miles from the nearest border.

YouTube - INTIMIDATING AMERICAN CITIZENS, CREATING A POLICE STATE

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 11:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
Piggy backing on this thread, I stumbled across this tidbit in search of other video. The man has a very annoying camera as it clicks when he is snapping photos with his video cam but I suppose it does the job he intends.

He remains amazingly calm throughout. I've watched twice and listened to it 3 times and I have to hand it to him for guts. Forty miles from the nearest border.

YouTube - INTIMIDATING AMERICAN CITIZENS, CREATING A POLICE STATE
So the "border" patrol is running 40 miles inside the country.

Didn't the Conch Republic already fight the battle, along with the ACLU, and win back in April 1982 when the Border Patrol set up their "border crossing" on the Florida mainland effectively making the Keys a foreign country.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
^^^
Pre-Homeland Security.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
. Also enjoyable to me is this is a setback for the ACLu generally, an organization that continues to try to govern this country
Anyone that accuses the ACLU of "trying to govern this country" either is guilty of Reich Wing fearmongering hysteria, or fails to apprehend the meaning of the letters "CL" that are cleverly embedded in the acronym "ACLU"

...or BOTH.

It exists to defend a process, and a concept.

Maybe enrolling in some "English as a Second Language" course in the local Community College would assist such people with reading comprehension improvement......

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 05:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
The "standing" issue is a technicality, but one the ACLU should've been able to counter...except the federal gov refuses to release a list of those individuals and groups who have had their rights abridged by the gov's cowardly actions. This is a fucking disgrace. The SCOTUS has left the oversight building, and is sniffing asses on the side.
That's what we call a "fishing expedition". It is generally frowned upon. Why? Well let's play just seepose.

Just seepose there was a DEA agent and happened across this website and saw DR, GS, TK, Bot, Z and a few others cracking wise about smoking marijuana. You know what they say, whre there is msoke ther's fire! So I get in my car and drive over to say, GS' place of business and raid the joint (so to speak) looking for evidence that GS of GS abuse of herb.

Was there probably cause to search GS? I don't think so. We were just having idel conversation, not doing anything.

Now if GS had offered us a great deal on the price of a few kilo's he was bringing across at Nogales, then maybe, maybe the DEA guy would have probably cause. But he'd have to convince a judge and I doubt the judge would look benignly on the state monitoring conversations, even on the public internet.

The law applies the same whether we are protecting GS from oppressive police state tactics or protecting intelligence means, methods and personnel from public release.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
That's what we call a "fishing expedition". It is generally frowned upon. Why? Well let's play just seepose.

Just seepose there was a DEA agent and happened across this website and saw DR, GS, TK, Bot, Z and a few others cracking wise about smoking marijuana. You know what they say, whre there is msoke ther's fire! So I get in my car and drive over to say, GS' place of business and raid the joint (so to speak) looking for evidence that GS of GS abuse of herb.

Was there probably cause to search GS? I don't think so. We were just having idel conversation, not doing anything.

Now if GS had offered us a great deal on the price of a few kilo's he was bringing across at Nogales, then maybe, maybe the DEA guy would have probably cause. But he'd have to convince a judge and I doubt the judge would look benignly on the state monitoring conversations, even on the public internet.

The law applies the same whether we are protecting GS from oppressive police state tactics or protecting intelligence means, methods and personnel from public release.
People like "bottomline1" would happily brush away all those pesky things like constitutional protection against unreasonable search and seizure because they believed the excuse or fib about "national security" trumping all else.

People like that would have been just fine propagating those same ideas during the Weimar Republic days, and look at the result back then.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Nothing to see here, keep movin'

For the record, I just finished off that last of my green bud, yesterday

Since SCOTUS and POTUS aren't up to protecting my civil rights, maybe COTUS will step up...*

* ha, just kidding
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 08:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade View Post
Anyone that accuses the ACLU of "trying to govern this country" either is guilty of Reich Wing fearmongering hysteria, or fails to apprehend the meaning of the letters "CL" that are cleverly embedded in the acronym "ACLU"

...or BOTH.

It exists to defend a process, and a concept.

Maybe enrolling in some "English as a Second Language" course in the local Community College would assist such people with reading comprehension improvement......
MOD making personal attacks on a poster, how becoming.
Maybe you should read up on what the intent was of the originators
of the aclu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in