LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Progress in Iraq reshapes debate over war...

Democraps in Congress are losing ground in efforts to force withdrawal of U.S. troops: This was the Cover Story in today's USA Today. It is an interesting story from a liberal drive-by media source...

Soldiers from the 3rd Infantry Division scan an area
for roadside bombs near Baghdad last month.

When President Bush proposed increasing U.S. troop levels to quell rising violence in Iraq more than a year ago, several Republicans in Congress were skeptical. Democrats almost uniformly predicted failure...

It will be interesting to see how this plays in the '08 general election campaign.

Progress in Iraq reshapes debate over war - USATODAY.com

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 11:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
I read the article and came across this, "Rep. Wayne Gilchrist of Maryland, a Republican who voted to withdraw U.S. troops from Iraq, was defeated in last week's primary by a supporter of the current policy."

Too bad, I have been involved in briefing Gilchrist on environmental issues as they apply to transportation and was very impressed by him and his staff.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
I read the article and came across this, "Rep. Wayne Gilchrist of Maryland, a Republican who voted to withdraw U.S. troops from Iraq, was defeated in last week's primary by a supporter of the current policy."

Too bad, I have been involved in briefing Gilchrist on environmental issues as they apply to transportation and was very impressed by him and his staff.

B
I am hopeful that a lot of Congressmen--even the impressive ones--will lose their jobs over this issue. I believe that a lot of our US military lost their limbs and lives because of those "traitors" because al-Qaeda took their comments as support for the terrorist's cause. Many in our own government have been guilty of perpetuating the war, especially in Iraq, by their mostly political comments. This has been a case where politics can and did kill US citizens. And I believe that almost all of those comments have been politically motivated, regardless of which political party they belonged to... IMO

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 12:24 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post

B
Blame it on smear within the Republicans during this Maryland election. Each one was trying to outdo the other on how conservative they were; it was almost comical but it was sad too
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 12:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Why I do briefings or support for briefings, I stick strictly to the subject at hand. I prefer not to think of politics at all under those circumstances. Even so, there is an awful lot you can learn about people by how they ask questions, what they ask, and how they pursue a line of questioning. He is a marathoner. Most of them use walkers.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I am hopeful that a lot of Congressmen--even the impressive ones--will lose their jobs over this issue. I believe that a lot of our US military lost their limbs and lives because of those "traitors" because al-Qaeda took their comments as support for the terrorist's cause. Many in our own government have been guilty of perpetuating the war, especially in Iraq, by their mostly political comments. This has been a case where politics can and did kill US citizens. And I believe that almost all of those comments have been politically motivated, regardless of which political party they belonged to... IMO

The blame needs to be put squarely where it belongs - on all the Reichwing nutjobs who got us into the war in Iraq, and the sheep like YOU who support it, and all your fear mongering and screams of "traitor".

Disgusting.

People like you would still have us fighting in Vietnam today.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 05:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade View Post
The blame needs to be put squarely where it belongs - on all the Reichwing nutjobs who got us into the war in Iraq, and the sheep like YOU who support it, and all your fear mongering and screams of "traitor".

Disgusting.

C'mon, you're really FTL, aren't you?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade View Post

Disgusting.

"People like me" would never have let us get into Vietnam...

Grow up, loser!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 06:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
are we finally winning?

in political asylum
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Dozens of cities spared war dead

These data surprised me:

NO IRAQ FATALITIES

Cities with a population of more than 100,000 that have not lost a U.S. servicemember in Iraq, according to what the Pentagon calls the "hometown of record" usually where the person was living at the time of enlistment, but not necessarily where he or she was born, grew up or has immediate family:

City2006 pop. estimate

Oakland397,067
North Las Vegas197,567
Gilbert, Ariz.191,517
Fort Lauderdale185,804
Worcester, Mass.175,454
Huntsville, Ala.168,132
Rockford, Ill.155,138
Joliet, Ill.142,702
Syracuse, N.Y.140,658
Lakewood, Colo.140,024
Mesquite, Texas131,447
Coral Springs, Fla.129,805
Stamford, Conn.119,261
Inglewood, Calif.114,914
Olathe, Kan.114,662
Visalia, Calif.113,487
Cary, N.C.112,414
Beaumont, Texas109,856
Costa Mesa, Calif.109,809
Downey, Calif.109,376
Santa Clara, Calif.108,518
Miramar, Fla.108,072
Westminster, Colo.105,753
South Bend, Ind.104,905
Fairfield, Calif.104,897
Burbank, Calif.104,317
Ventura, Calif.104,092
Richmond, Calif.102,120
Midland, Texas102,073
Elgin, Ill.101,903
Berkeley, Calif.101,555
Portsmouth, Va.101,377
Cambridge, Mass.101,365
Daly City, Calif.101,005
Billings, Mont.100,148

Note: List excludes communities measured by the Census Bureau that aren't traditional incorporated cities, such as East Los Angeles and large towns on Long Island

Sources: Analysis of Defense Department data by Paul Overberg, USA TODAY; Census Bureau

Dozens of cities spared war dead - USATODAY.com

Iraq war leaves small impression on Mass. city - USATODAY.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in