post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Global Cooling is, well...cool!

The water froze the instant the wave broke through the ice. That's what it is like in Antarctica. Water freezes the instant it comes in contact with the air. The temperature of the water is
already some degrees below freezing. Just look at how the wave froze in midair.

Last edited by yoseyman; 06-02-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
That raises another question of interest to me, and I'll admit to some laziness here.

Given that water freezes at 0 degrees Celsius (give or take a degree or so based on things like motion and salinity), exactly how cold do the GCC folks need it to be at the poles before they stop freaking out? Another way to put it; how big of an area needs to remain below freezing before they stop freaking out?

In areas in Canada, etc. where they were going berserk over the lack of sea ice, what was the ambient air temperature? Did an area that was used to temps in the -10's Celsius suddenly enjoy balmy temps in the positive numbers? That's not a small change, and the sudden nature of such a development couldn't possibly be attributable to CO2 or water vapor.

Maybe the oceans serve as giant batteries, absorbing energy from the sun, and releasing it in the form of heat. If the earth were largely covered in water, it would mean our "global climate" was subject to the whims of the sun. Hmmmm....I wonder if the sun's energy output is a constant.

Alright, enough with the obtusity.

OCEAN AND CLIMATE -- THE ODD COUPLE - Role of the Ocean in Weather - Students - OceanWorld

The Sun
The Sun's output is not entirely constant. Nor is the amount of sunspot activity. There was a period of very low sunspot activity in the latter half of the 17th century called the Maunder Minimum. It coincides with an abnormally cold period in northern Europe sometimes known as the Little Ice Age. Since the formation of the solar system the Sun's output has increased by about 40%.
Makes you wonder if it was cold places other than Europe, except that the first thermometer that was worth a fuck was invented in - you'll never believe it - 1714, in - wait for it - Europe. Wow, ain't that a bitch. The Sun's output has been increasing steadily ever since we had a remotely accurate way to measure it.

It gets better - cloud cover, particulate, etc. help to reflect solar energy. "Clean burning" fuels give us all the CO2 & polution, and none of the particulate that helps cool the earth. We're double-whammied. To say nothing of the fact that water vapor is the BIGGEST contributor to the greenhouse effect, and the big push in automobiles is cars that exhaust only - take a guess - water vapor.

We're doing a fine, fine job of taking miniscule bits of information, assuming we know everything there is to know, losing our ever loving minds over that fact, then taking steps that you couldn't purposely design to carry us further down the path to damnation if you tried.

But other than that, I have no strong feelings on the subject.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Great pics yo!!! Where did you get them?

Thanks for sharing...

Don't believe everything you think
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Great pics yo!!! Where did you get them?

Thanks for sharing...
Sent to me by Al Gore. ha ha.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoseyman View Post
Sent to me by Al Gore. ha ha.
HoHoHo...
Attached Images

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage

Dammit, Lois, back the fuck off. I need some "Me" time. How'd you find this place anyhow? Olsen! You little shit...just wait til you try to use that watch next time. Zee zee zee your ASS!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
^ Super! man
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
That raises another question of interest to me, and I'll admit to some laziness here.

Given that water freezes at 0 degrees Celsius (give or take a degree or so based on things like motion and salinity), exactly how cold do the GCC folks need it to be at the poles before they stop freaking out? Another way to put it; how big of an area needs to remain below freezing before they stop freaking out?

In areas in Canada, etc. where they were going berserk over the lack of sea ice, what was the ambient air temperature? Did an area that was used to temps in the -10's Celsius suddenly enjoy balmy temps in the positive numbers? That's not a small change, and the sudden nature of such a development couldn't possibly be attributable to CO2 or water vapor.

Maybe the oceans serve as giant batteries, absorbing energy from the sun, and releasing it in the form of heat. If the earth were largely covered in water, it would mean our "global climate" was subject to the whims of the sun. Hmmmm....I wonder if the sun's energy output is a constant.

Alright, enough with the obtusity.

OCEAN AND CLIMATE -- THE ODD COUPLE - Role of the Ocean in Weather - Students - OceanWorld

The Sun
The Sun's output is not entirely constant. Nor is the amount of sunspot activity. There was a period of very low sunspot activity in the latter half of the 17th century called the Maunder Minimum. It coincides with an abnormally cold period in northern Europe sometimes known as the Little Ice Age. Since the formation of the solar system the Sun's output has increased by about 40%.
Makes you wonder if it was cold places other than Europe, except that the first thermometer that was worth a fuck was invented in - you'll never believe it - 1714, in - wait for it - Europe. Wow, ain't that a bitch. The Sun's output has been increasing steadily ever since we had a remotely accurate way to measure it.

It gets better - cloud cover, particulate, etc. help to reflect solar energy. "Clean burning" fuels give us all the CO2 & polution, and none of the particulate that helps cool the earth. We're double-whammied. To say nothing of the fact that water vapor is the BIGGEST contributor to the greenhouse effect, and the big push in automobiles is cars that exhaust only - take a guess - water vapor.

We're doing a fine, fine job of taking miniscule bits of information, assuming we know everything there is to know, losing our ever loving minds over that fact, then taking steps that you couldn't purposely design to carry us further down the path to damnation if you tried.

But other than that, I have no strong feelings on the subject.
Kinda makes it good that we have those scientists guys that study this stuff for us, doesn't it.

I was going to have an opinion about how to send a rocket to the moon back in science class in the sixties but then I realized there were guys that actually figured all that stuff out for real. I decided to understand enough to take their word for it.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Kinda makes it good that we have those scientists guys that study this stuff for us, doesn't it.

I was going to have an opinion about how to send a rocket to the moon back in science class in the sixties but then I realized there were guys that actually figured all that stuff out for real. I decided to understand enough to take their word for it.
You "understand" just enought to be dangerous!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post

Probably helped that they weren't telling you that polar bears would die and that Manhattan would be flooded under 30' of sea water if you didn't figure what you could do right there, right then, to send a rocket to the moon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in