post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
He once said that he works for a Haliburton company so he's probably hip to all of the raging conspiracies perpetrated by his pal, Dick Cheney.

B
The idea of magic oil appearing from the ground in capped off wells probably works for a total fucking idiot such as yourself. How's the WMD hunt going?

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 03:41 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 90 300se
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
I'm still scratching my head every time I hear an ad for the "new 35mpg Ford Focus". Didn't Honda have a 54mpg Civic back the 80's? How friggin hard can this really be?

Maybe CAFE standards should be such that unless your horsepower-to-displacement ratio exceeds 90hp/litre, your overall fuel economy needs to be at least 45 mpg.
I like your idea, but its another pipe dream that the oil barons laugh about over snifters and cigars.

Think about how long the internal combustion gas engine has been around. Then think about all of the technological improvements made to just about everything in a relatively short amount of time. There are engines that get 120+ mpg now, Renault came out with a 120 mpg "show" car a few years ago. It was a Clio I believe. The oil companies pay auto makers dearly to keep these cars and their technology off the road.

Crappy cars, corrupted governments and greedy companies aside:

Think about the military aspect, as we are in a war. During the eighties and nineties, we used to fire bomb poppy fields, because terrorists made money from the sale of heroin.
Now, its obvious that terrorists are funded by the oil producing countries of the middle east, Arabian peninsula and elsewhere (Venezuela perhaps). What do we do? We send an army to Iraq and try to "stabilize" and bring "democracy" to the area. Now we cannot leave! We make our dependency on foreign oil greater than ever. Think about the billions of gallons burned by the US military everyday, just to keep the boys in the kitty litter supplied with water and food. We are just fueling the fire! Thats just the tip of the iceberg.

And the only answers are "pipedreams" WTF We have to become oil dependent or die. This is a war! It can't be won by armies of occupation, devastating air forces or sea ruling navies. These people we are fighting will always hate us and want to kill us. We can make it a lot harder for them by making all of them as worthless as the sand they were born on. Let them throw rocks.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
You obviously don't understand the oil market. It doesn't go on a shelf somewhere like your fucking Cheerios. Chavez will sell it to the Chinese, or he and the Iranians will both embargo oil at the same time, sending the price of oil into the stratosphere, where, yeah, we will get to purchase it on the open market, lucky us. Exxon is playing games with our national security.
We purchase Venzuela oil on the open market now. Remember that their oil has the consistency of tar and requires special refining and those refineries are mostly in the US. Chavez doesn't hold all the cards.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove View Post
The idea of magic oil appearing from the ground in capped off wells probably works for a total fucking idiot such as yourself. How's the WMD hunt going?
Wow, that is a strange comment. I must've accidentally struck a touchy little nerve. Like maybe you're not real proud of biting the hand that feeds you, huh bucko?

I'm not especially worried about the capped well conspiracy (I own pieces of several wells, the operator of which shuts them off and opens them up depending on market conditions). Cap them or let them flow, I don't care. Just keep the gov out of market decisions and I'm okay with it all.

Concerning WMD, had you not pickled your brain cells into oblivion before discovering sobriety, you might have recalled that I never gave a shat about the whole WMD controversy. My support of the Iraq invasion was all about oil. Other folks supported it for other reasons. Before they opposed it.

Bot

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsmbs View Post
t'stha just plumb dumb.

nuts? nah.. we're just going to be paying through the nose. nothing new.. USA is on a big downturn so everybody is kicking us whenever they find a chance.

there are pleny of other venues for him to sell his oil.. we're not the only gashogs anymore. this high and mighty america attitude will have end for us to see the light.
Miss your coffee this morning? You think it's dumb? What is your solution?

Seems like you are one of those who is "kicking" us whenever you find a chance.

--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
We purchase Venzuela oil on the open market now. Remember that their oil has the consistency of tar and requires special refining and those refineries are mostly in the US. Chavez doesn't hold all the cards.
I think much of the Venezuelan oil is processed in Aruba, isn't it?

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Well, you certainly read a lot into so few of my words. Now if you only understood what you were talking about we might could discuss it.
Let's see. You make a post which you claim didn't say anything important, then when I give you a reaction to it, you claim I didn't understand it. I prefer to take your words at face value and in context. You, sir, have no idea whether or not I understand what I'm talking about. And I will never let you be the judge of that. Actually, the reverse is true--you just failed to comprehend my post and instead of thinking about a rational response chose to attack me personally. Typical lazy liberal gimmick.

--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
Let's see. ..... chose to attack me personally. Typical lazy liberal gimmick.
No doubt learnt from those far right AM Radio fascist neo con republicans, and yourself.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade View Post
No doubt learnt from those far right AM Radio fascist neo con republicans, and yourself.
Wow.

So's yo mama!

And your little dog, too!

post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 03:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Summary: Even critics of Hugo Ch√°vez tend to concede that he has made helping the poor his top priority. But in fact, Ch√°vez's government has not done any more to fight poverty than past Venezuelan governments, and his much-heralded social programs have had little effect. A close look at the evidence reveals just how much Ch√°vez's "revolution" has hurt Venezuela's economy -- and that the poor are hurting most of all.

more at: http://www.foreignaffairs.org/200803...evolution.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in