Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Turkey lifts campus headscarf ban

Turkey lifts campus headscarf ban

Protesters said that the amendments would end Turkey's strict separation of state and religion [AFP]

Turkey's parliament has backed changes to the country's constitution that will lift a decades-old ban on the wearing of headscarves in universities.

Tens of thousands of Turks took to the streets of the capital on Saturday to protest against the move, saying it threatened the secular nature of Turkish society.

"Turkey is secular and will remain secular," shouted the protesters, many of them waving Turkish flags and carrying portraits of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, founder of modern Turkey.

Ataturk set up the republic in 1923 with strict rules separating state and religion.

The ban on headscarves on university campuses has been enforced since a military coup in 1980.

The constitutional amendment, which was passed by 411 votes to 103 in parliament, says everyone has the right to equal treatment from state institutions and "no one can be deprived of [his or her] right to higher education".

The move required a two-thirds majority to back it.

'Tolerance and reconciliation'

"The proposal to change the constitution has been approved. I hope this will be for the best for Turkey and hope it is done in a spirit of tolerance and reconciliation," Koksal Toptan, parliamentary speaker, said after the vote.

Your Views
Does the Islamic headscarf defy Turkey's secularism?

Send us your views

Now the constitutional amendments are passed, the government plans to change laws governing higher education to specify what type of head covering will be allowed, to ensure that students do not attend classes in full-length chadors or burqas.

The AK Party of Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the prime minister, and the Nationalist Action Party have agreed that scarves should be tied loosely with a knot beneath the chin, leaving the face exposed.

The main opposition Republican People's Party has said it would appeal to the constitutional court to have the decision overturned.

"This is a Black Revolution. The headscarf is a political symbol," Canan Aritman, a Republican politician, said.

"We will never allow our country to be dragged back into the dark ages."

Saturday's protest was called by more than 70 trade unions and non-governmental organisations and dubbed the "Rally for Secularism and Independence".

Government 'treason'

Tuncay Ozkan, one of the organisers and a television network owner, accused the government of treason.

"I am warning them, changing the constitutional regime is a crime. They should be tried for treason," he said. "We are here to defend the country.

Erdogan, who won 47 per cent of the votes in general elections last year, has strong public backing and insists that his party is loyal to the secular traditions.

The government says the measure is aimed at expanding democracy and freedoms to progress the country's EU membership bid.

But secularists harbour deep suspicions about the real intentions of Erdogan - who had tried to criminalise adultery before being forced to step back by the EU.

Many secular women fear that allowing headscarves in universities will lead eventually to their being pressured to cover their bodies as well.

Source: Agencies
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Surely A Large Human
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
This reminds me; I've been wondering about some pictures I saw doing an unrelated search.

Think any of those women are still alive? They were in public near men; They weren't wearing head-to-toe clothing covering every feature of their bodies; Some of them were kinda hot...they've all had to have been gang raped and decapitated by now, wouldn't they? If not, why not? Do I really need to dig up every news story of a woman being killed or intimidated in Iraq under the guise of Sharia law?

I'm still curious as to why these heathens see fit to enforce God's law, rather than to let him take care of it himself...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk must be turning in his grave.
The Islamization through the back door of Europe's gate way.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:11 AM
Always Remembered RIP
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
This is more significant than most Westerners think.

The religious fascists there want to turn the place into another Iran.

This is rightly seen by the enlightened people in Turkey as the first step to repressive Muslim theocracy.

They would like to make the USA a country like that to if they could.

Horrible sexually hysteric fascistg religious fanatics, they would love to roll history back 700 years into the dark ages.

<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 12:10 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Feb 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think this is really positive. There are people in Turkey who want things to change there!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: