Microsoft eyes Yahoo to topple Google - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 10:56 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yahoo has faired quite well today, considering where it was the day before the MS announcement was made that they wanted buy Yahoo. Yahoo would have to fail an additional 5 1/2 to 6 bucks per share to be back to that pre MS level............

Yahoo! Inc (YHOO) - Stock chart, Index chart - MSN Money

Last edited by Jakarta Expat; 05-05-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
Yahoo has faired quite well today, considering where it was the day before the MS announcement was made that they wanted buy Yahoo. Yahoo would have to fail an additional 5 1/2 to 6 bucks per share to be back to that pre MS level............

Yahoo! Inc (YHOO) - Stock chart, Index chart - MSN Money
But, as usual, you fail to point out that Yahoo was at 31.36 in November and MSFT's offer just brought them back to that level. And at this time they are below 25! The idiots at Yahoo just passed up a $33 guarantee from MSFT. What is it they say about a bird in the hand...? I for one hope they drop back below the previous $19 low. MSFT's offer brought them from $19 to $38 and now they can just Go Fish!

Don't believe everything you think
post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:20 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
But, as usual, you fail to point out that Yahoo was at 31.36 in November and MSFT's offer just brought them back to that level. And at this time they are below 25! The idiots at Yahoo just passed up a $33 guarantee from MSFT. What is it they say about a bird in the hand...? I for one hope they drop back below the previous $19 low. MSFT's offer brought them from $19 to $38 and now they can just Go Fish!

I did not fail to point out anything, the 6 month chart I posted says it all. And yes I agree it was stupid for Yang to turn it down and if it falls too much lower I would hope the stockholders file a class action against Yang........
post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Sometimes LONG TERM responsibility to the stockholders is more important than short term pop. Yahoo still has legs, once the initial sort of this settles, Yahoo will continue to run stable. I don't blame Yang for not wanting to have Yahoo absorbed by the 'softies. No long term gain can come from that for their employees.

And we don't know the depth of what technologies or expansions that Yahoo is working on that made it such an attractive target for MSFT in the first place.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:57 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Sometimes LONG TERM responsibility to the stockholders is more important than short term pop. Yahoo still has legs, once the initial sort of this settles, Yahoo will continue to run stable. I don't blame Yang for not wanting to have Yahoo absorbed by the 'softies. No long term gain can come from that for their employees.

And we don't know the depth of what technologies or expansions that Yahoo is working on that made it such an attractive target for MSFT in the first place.
On one hand I agree but on the other I don't think so. I think more than anything what attracted MS to want Yahoo was the price was 19+ when they made their offer and MS needs a successful platform to compete with Google. What killed the offer after MS raised from 31 to 33 per share was Yang and another Dick head showed up and told Ballmer "well the board agreed to a final price of 37 but we (meaning Yang and his other dickhead) want 38. Come on if they had not been such assholes they could have settled on 35 and be done. Only time will tell if Yang was correct or not but I doubt it.
post #46 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:

I totally agree that "...LONG TERM responsibility to the stockholders is more important than short term pop." And that is exactly what MSFT was offering--LONG TERM growth and stability! And that is exactly what those yahoos at Yahoo through back in Ballmer's face! IMO, Yahoo cannot and will not survive on its own going forward. They will either crash and burn and resume the slide down below $19 or will be taken over for a lot less than MSFT offered. And how in the world can you say Yahoo will continue to "run stable?" Have you looked at their chart??? How can anyone call that "stable?"

post #47 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 01:36 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:

Ok your point is closer to being made but I seriously doubt if they will ever get back up to 33/35.

How Google’s Checkbook Stymied Microsoft

Shortly after Microsoft announced its hostile bid for Yahoo, Google objected and raised the prospect that it would fight to challenge any merger with the government.

As it turned out, Google was very much the spoiler in the deal. But its most effective weapon was not threats or coercion, but its very effective, and unconventional, use of its own checkbook.

Google has agreed to sell some search advertising for Yahoo. And since Google earns far more on every search than its rivals do, this will mean an immediate increase in Yahoo’s profits.

Microsoft’s chief executive, Steven A. Ballmer, said the prospect of such a deal that could deprive Microsoft of being able to sell all Yahoo’s search ads made proceeding with a hostile takeover less attractive. And Yahoo hopes the promise of a big check each quarter from Google will placate enough shareholders to head off a revolt over its decision to turn down Microsoft’s offer of $33 per share.

Rest of the article
How Google’s Checkbook Stymied Microsoft - Bits - Technology - New York Times Blog
post #48 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 01:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I totally agree that "...LONG TERM responsibility to the stockholders is more important than short term pop." And that is exactly what MSFT was offering--LONG TERM growth and stability! And that is exactly what those yahoos at Yahoo through back in Ballmer's face! IMO, Yahoo cannot and will not survive on its own going forward. They will either crash and burn and resume the slide down below $19 or will be taken over for a lot less than MSFT offered. And how in the world can you say Yahoo will continue to "run stable?" Have you looked at their chart??? How can anyone call that "stable?"
First, I don't consider their stock value as the only measure of their value although it is one consideration. They have good underlying technology and good long term value. They also have better innovators historically than Microsoft which is of better long term value.

If you look at the 5 year chart below you see that MSFT is pretty static and that YHOO is historically a better investment. It's value has been dicked by the M&A talks but long term, it has performed better than MSFT since the DOT.COM bust.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #49 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I disagree w/ your assessment of the two companies, but then what is new?

Here's where we are now:

Yahoo Investors Weighing Possible Bid to Oust Board

Activist investors have been considering whether to mount a proxy fight to oust the Yahoo board because of frustration over the collapsed Microsoft deal, say people familiar with the situation.

post #50 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Yahoo got clobbered today, and it is not over by a long shot!

(YHOO)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in