LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
This reminds me of the "Is Our Great Experiment At An End" thread.

I'd put us far further along than whoever it was; I think we're between dependence and bondage. I don't think it will take nearly as long for the fog of what used to be "abundance" to burn off as others might think. Once the sun rises, we're going to have a very clear view of just how fucked up this economy - this nation - really is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 08:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
And you can thank George Bush.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Your engorged priapismic erection for 43 aside, there's plenty....PLENTY of blame to go around for the current state of affairs.
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
So if you have 6% on top of the 5-10% already on all goods [and most services] you still have a hodge podge of tax, you still have a Revenue Collection System and you don't address the underground economy which would increase since collection is no longer at the wage end of the revenue stream.

You also have the conundrum that states use where they raise state sales taxes for incidental issues and then never lower them. A war, as example would cause such a problem with the feds.

A Sales Tax based tax system also would penalize the poor more than the rich as EVERYONE has to buy basics and commodity products such as food, cloths, gasoline, insurance, tires, etc which take a higher percentage of the income of the low and middle class. This shifts the tax burden to that group.
Obviously, 'details' would have to be hammered out, such as exempting food and medicines from the tax. Taxing tangible goods like electronics, furniture, autos, appliances, etc. would be more fair. But, I find it interesting that you think the present system is more fair. A system that pays people to have illegitimate children. A system that pays able bodied people not to work. A system that punishes success and rewards failure. Meanwhile, literally billions of dollars go untaxed every year because of unreported income and tax evasion. A sales tax would close that loop hole. A sales tax would subject all non exempt purchases to taxation. No one seems to give a shit that most states do not exempt food purchases from taxation, but when the suggestion is made that the government collect sales tax instead if income tax, it becomes a 'what about the poor?' question.

The main reason why the government will never go for a national sales tax is because point of sales taxes are too 'confrontational', meaning, the consumer will be able to see the fleecing they're getting more readily instead of it quietly being removed from their check by their employer each pay period.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=cmitch;2727585]Obviously, 'details' would have to be hammered out, such as exempting food and medicines from the tax. Taxing tangible goods like electronics, furniture, autos, appliances, etc. would be more fair. But, I find it interesting that you think the present system is more fair. A system that pays people to have illegitimate children. A system that pays able bodied people not to work. A system that punishes success and rewards failure. Meanwhile, literally billions of dollars go untaxed every year because of unreported income and tax evasion. A sales tax would close that loop hole. A sales tax would subject all non exempt purchases to taxation. No one seems to give a shit that most states do not exempt food purchases from taxation, but when the suggestion is made that the government collect sales tax instead if income tax, it becomes a 'what about the poor?' question.

The main reason why the government will never go for a national sales tax is because point of sales taxes are too 'confrontational', meaning, the consumer will be able to see the fleecing they're getting more readily instead of it quietly being removed from their check by their employer each pay period.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that Congress would have to give up its pandering to various interest groups through the Internal Revenue Code.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:12 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^^
Congress' power, now that's a good point
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Brentwood MB

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Post Flat Tax Discussion!!

I have enjoyed the discussion that has taken place on this thread since my suggestion for comments on Flat Tax. I think it has alot of very positive aspects, I also agree that getting it beyond the discussion phase is highly unlikely. However it does tend in discussion to point out many of the current flaws with our present system,and that alone may cause those in power to at least look at the situation. Good job Guys, I am impressed.
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Brentwood MB

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Post Flat Tax Discussion!!

I have enjoyed the discussion that has taken place on this thread since my suggestion for comments on Flat Tax. I think it has alot of very positive aspects, I also agree that getting it beyond the discussion phase is highly unlikely. However it does tend in discussion to point out many of the current flaws with our present system,and that alone may cause those in power to at least look at the situation. Good job Guys, I am impressed.
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 12:05 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood MB View Post
Do you want to start a revolution?

if we end up in Gitmo, I don't know you
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 12:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 190SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ... don't blame me ... I voted for Jimi Hendrix for President!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in