post #1 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The House Hunt from Hell

OK, some know that I have been looking for another house, mainly to have a spot big enough to build a shop/garage so I can do my restoration work without having to deal with $1200 monthly in rent and having to drive 15 miles each way each day just to get to the shop.

The quest has taken me to beautiful Clark County where I found out that "RANCH" could also be used to describe "DOUBLEWIDE". I ventured to the Bridges of Madison County where I found a very nice house with 4.5 acres for a nice price but the surrounding neighborhood was a cross between Meth Alley and the Britney Spears Memorial Trailer Park.

I don't ask for much, I don't really like the McMansions or their associated McVillages and Homeowners Associations that get their panties in a wad when I swing the AMG in a bit too quickly once or twice. If I want to put up a flag pole, that does not need to go to a committee, period.

So I have confined my quest to some nice neighborhoods that have enough room [about .8 acres] that I can add a nice garage and without an Association that I would inevitably abbreviate incorrectly each time I needed to write them a missive.

Winnowing my choices down I have a few. Several even have the Mercedes seal of approval [see pic below]. But one in particular seemed both interesting AND inexpensive. In range of the neighborhood BUT just enough below to pique my interest. Then the chat with the Real Estate Dominatrix. "It will need to go through the Courts." NOW was the time for the extensive McBear research monster to get to work. It didn't take long.

So the question is, I can get it cheap but when he gets out of the Big House he might just want his stuff back. It could get interesting.

Core-Mark International Hit Hard by Scam Artist
Publication: convenience store news
Date: Monday, July 19 2004

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Core-Mark International, a distributor of tobacco and convenience store products based in San Francisco, was one of the wholesalers hit hardest by the owner of two Kentucky cigarette stores whom the U.S. Secret Service said defrauded wholesalers, banks and others of nearly $1.8 million, reported the Associated Press.

A civil forfeiture action has been filed against three homes -- worth about $590,000 -- owned by Zafar Nasir and his wife.

Nasir, 38, pleaded not guilty to a state criminal charge that parallels the federal forfeiture allegations. His arrest warrant claimed he was involved in a criminal syndicate with four others who were not identified.

In an affidavit, Secret Service agent Paul A. Sims said Nasir, the owner of Cigarettes for Less in Lexington, executed his scheme by obtaining credit cards and checks in the names of other businesses and people. He used them to buy cigarettes and gift cards for resale in Kentucky and other states, the affidavit said.

The Secret Service affidavit said Nasir and others bounced about $668,000 on money orders, mostly to Core-Mark, drawn on a closed account that had belonged to another company.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.

Last edited by mcbear; 01-31-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I'm also house hunting, but I'm a bottom-feeder, 'cause I'm a bit skittish about this weird market. Whatever I opt for has to be able to be flipped or rented in a couple years.
post #3 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you clean that screen after the CLKMAN spilled his tobacco juice on it?

eeewwww!

Last edited by yoseyman; 06-02-2008 at 04:51 PM.
post #4 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 04:45 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
I can't speak for your area of KY but have you thought about buying a nice warehouse and living in it and possibly renting the rest out if there is space left over? In Texas property tax, a huge concern here, on commercial prop is less expensive than residential. There are nice, newish, warehouse areas now in all towns and their resale has been greater than most all residential areas. You can also do the interior any which way you please as walls can be placed anywhere, your imagination is the limit. Plus you have more write offs since you live where you work. It makes economic sense of you choose to think outside the box. Need I mention there would be plenty of room for cars and less ground maintenance?
post #5 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 05:35 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
^^^^And just think of the wild BWOT parties you could have in a house inside a warehouse, gives new meaning to "take it outside fellas"..........
post #6 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I can't speak for your area of KY but have you thought about buying a nice warehouse and living in it and possibly renting the rest out if there is space left over? In Texas property tax, a huge concern here, on commercial prop is less expensive than residential. There are nice, newish, warehouse areas now in all towns and their resale has been greater than most all residential areas. You can also do the interior any which way you please as walls can be placed anywhere, your imagination is the limit. Plus you have more write offs since you live where you work. It makes economic sense of you choose to think outside the box. Need I mention there would be plenty of room for cars and less ground maintenance?
I have looked into that but have not focused as much that way as wifie wants to be somewhere near her mom who is somewhat ill. I did look at a old schoolhouse which had a full gym/basketball court which I taped off. There was room for all the cars AND half court hoops, all on hardwood. The biggest problem with that was HVAC and those annoying chalkboards in the bedroom. I am not sure the diagrams and charts would be conducive to R&R&R

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #7 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
I'm also house hunting, but I'm a bottom-feeder, 'cause I'm a bit skittish about this weird market. Whatever I opt for has to be able to be flipped or rented in a couple years.
I have been in my house since 89 and it is just time. We are now running two offices out of it which take up 2 rooms, a half bath and part of the basement for the wiring/servers. There is no room for the cars, I need a shop for restoration work AND I will have to close mom's house down soon and there is exceptional furniture there that I don't want to sell/give away/store.

So I have managed to get myself in a position to pick a new house in which to retire. It is weird making those decisions as you start saying things like "and this would be good should we need a wheelchair" or "this is no good if my knees go out" as we wander through the house hunt.

We can build new for $110sqft plus property but that has its own hassles and I just don't want to deal with that. Much like I buy my cars after someone else has eaten the "new car" depreciation, I plan on doing the same for houses.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #8 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 06:35 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
move to Baltimore
post #9 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 07:05 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
have you thought about buying a nice warehouse and living in it
I've met the missus, and she seemed very cool and down to earth and all. But correct me if I'm wrong...she didn't seem like the "live in a warehouse" type.

Sounds great to us guys, but sometimes we need the gals around to keep us from living like bears with furniture (sorry for the pun).
post #10 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerkebi View Post
I've met the missus, and she seemed very cool and down to earth and all. But correct me if I'm wrong...she didn't seem like the "live in a warehouse" type.

Sounds great to us guys, but sometimes we need the gals around to keep us from living like bears with furniture (sorry for the pun).
Well, that would be the second part of the "we are moving into a more adult neighborhood" scheme. We have found one pretty nice place and I think it will work but before we got back to the car I heard something about redoing the kitchen. So, yeppers, I think my warehouse, Dan Tana days are over.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in