post #51 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Actually the area her parents would "force" us into is the $300-800K neighborhood so I am not worried about that at all. It is a great 'hood with all the good stuff, very nice .75 or better acre lots, excellent zoning and all the goodies that go with that.

I have already talked to the local planning and building inspectors and have sign off on my 4 car garage for any of the houses we have looked at since it will blend with the neighborhood and since my mom in law is one of the "Queen Bees" in the hood, the skids are greased to keep any neighbors from bitchin' about the garage.

As for the office, all I need is 12X12 with is perfect in a 4-5BR house so that is covered. I look at this as a VERY long term [hopefully] investment and am not looking "on the cheap, just not looking at the "showcase" McMansions that I have been seeing in some of my searches.

A funny example tonight. In the same neighborhood that we are looking a house burned last year. A house was built on spec in its place. It just went on the market earlier this year. I was expecting it to tickle about $650K. Instead...

MLS

This is what I am avoiding. Conspicuous consumption.
OMG! Perfect!! Buy two!!!

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
You might consider that this is a public forum that might be read from time to time . . .
You know ed, you might want to find a forum where you have a clue...

post #53 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:43 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Actually I looked at a piece of property on the Kentucky River [actually 500 ft ABOVE the Kentucky River two weeks ago. $120-150K for 10 acres of which less than three are useful, the rest are "don't fuck with me acres" which is not a bad thing. Building out there is about $125 sqft. The problem is simply the 30 minutes wifie would need to get to her mom's house 5 times a week after work or for appointments when her dad can't do it.

Lexington trivia. We are the largest city in the country NOT on a navigable waterway. No rivers or lakes in the county other than 500 Yards of KY River frontage on the very far southern tip of the county.
Hey McBear can you tell me the largest city in America land wise?
post #54 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Bear, please forgive me--and do not tell your lovely bride--but if her mom is going to force you into an area and/or a deal that will not work for you long-term, wait for wifies' mom to pass--and then start a search in earnest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoseyman View Post
You did not just say that?
Quote:
I did! And that is the best advice anyone is going to give him here...
Don't beat him up too bad. Remember, I am a Systems Analyst by profession. I have already thought about all those variables but it is good to see them come from another side, even if they are the ones we don't always like to see. Wifie is a Project Manager/Analyst also so know the conversation has occurred.

Both of wifie's parents are alive and in their late 70s. With Autonomic Dysfunction you never know which involuntary nerves will dim or turn off. It might be leg muscles, it might be editor and it might be heart. It is one of those diseases that so few people get that there is minimal data to provide pattern analysis. Shit can happen next month or in 20 years but it will only get worse, it is just a matter of degrees.

And her dad, while in reasonable health is 78, a retired EE and not really equipped to handle health trauma. So it goes. They will be in THEIR house until we roll them out of it. And that is the way it should be.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #55 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
.... Take your emotions out of the equation and look at the numbers. It all feels the same regardless.
Good advice Shane!

post #56 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
You know ed, you might want to find a forum where you have a clue...
Oh, I do . . . I'd just hate for Mrs. Bear to read through this thread and conclude you were a heartless bastard . . . but that's just me.

post #57 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Don't beat him up too bad. Remember, I am a Systems Analyst by profession. I have already thought about all those variables but it is good to see them come from another side, even if they are the ones we don't always like to see. Wifie is a Project Manager/Analyst also so know the conversation has occurred.

Both of wifie's parents are alive and in their late 70s. With Autonomic Dysfunction you never know which involuntary nerves will dim or turn off. It might be leg muscles, it might be editor and it might be heart. It is one of those diseases that so few people get that there is minimal data to provide pattern analysis. Shit can happen next month or in 20 years but it will only get worse, it is just a matter of degrees.

And her dad, while in reasonable health is 78, a retired EE and not really equipped to handle health trauma. So it goes. They will be in THEIR house until we roll them out of it. And that is the way it should be.
Thanks bear! I should have known you'd be way ahead of me on that one... I just know from experience how that sort of thing can cost people a lot of money if someone doesn't get blunt w/ them!

post #58 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
Oh, I do . . . I'd just hate for Mrs. Bear to read through this thread and conclude you were a heartless bastard . . . but that's just me.
I'd rather look like "a heartless bastard" than let a friend make a six-figure mistake! But that's just me...

post #59 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:50 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2002 clk320
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heeey Ed

Are you sure you weren't in the movie "deliverance"?
post #60 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
I'd rather look like "a heartless bastard" than let a friend make a six-figure mistake! But that's just me...
Well, I understand your advice, just thought it might be best delivered somewhere more private, that's all. Bear took it as you had intended, so ignore me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in