Advertisement

post #32 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Maybe her husband's name was Stephen Fudge-Pack....
post #33 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 01:15 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
hahahaha
post #34 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #35 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
My heart really wants to go with one of the nifty little bungalows from the '30's and '40's, but my head says to "suck it up" and temporarily roll with one of the awful '70's ramblers that have a two car garage and lots more square footage.
My heart appears to be winning--this morning I put in an offer on a cute little 1300 sq/ft 1932 bungalow, which should be easily rentable. Only a one car garage, but I can remedy that, soon enough.
post #36 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 04:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I have been in my house since 89 and it is just time. We are now running two offices out of it which take up 2 rooms, a half bath and part of the basement for the wiring/servers. There is no room for the cars, I need a shop for restoration work AND I will have to close mom's house down soon and there is exceptional furniture there that I don't want to sell/give away/store.

So I have managed to get myself in a position to pick a new house in which to retire. It is weird making those decisions as you start saying things like "and this would be good should we need a wheelchair" or "this is no good if my knees go out" as we wander through the house hunt.

We can build new for $110sqft plus property but that has its own hassles and I just don't want to deal with that. Much like I buy my cars after someone else has eaten the "new car" depreciation, I plan on doing the same for houses.
I'm not sure you can use the "new car depreciation" rule when buying a "used" home. Until recently new and resale homes have consistently appreciated from year to year--as they age. Once the excesses have been wrung out of the recent home market run-up they will again resume their inevitable appreciation.

What you probably should be looking for is a "one-level ranch" (no double-wides) w/ a mother-in-law "apartment"--attached or unattached--for your two businesses. And enough land and appropriate zoning to build your own workshop. You will probably never find a place w/ both the office and workshop space on the existing market.

Don't believe everything you think
post #37 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 04:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I spotted a little bungalow that had just been reworked [but still without A/C] and they wanted $279K for it. It was off UK's campus area near the Henry Clay Estate but still seemed very high for 1500sqft.

MLS
Bear, A couple of things to keep in mind: 1) real estate adds to your net worth--it does not detract from it! 2) Acquiring an asset like that is not something you want to do on the cheap, especially if you are looking at it as a retirement asset--which isn't to say you don't want to get a good deal.

Relax a little bit and see what the market has to offer. You may be surprised! Get two or three real estate sales people and let them compete to find what you really want.

post #38 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 04:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I spotted a little bungalow that had just been reworked [but still without A/C] and they wanted $279K for it. It was off UK's campus area near the Henry Clay Estate but still seemed very high for 1500sqft.

MLS
Do you really want to retire to a place w/out A/C? It will cost you at least $20k to add an adequate after-market system and you and your lovely wife will not want to deal w/ the mess involved in adding that. Quit thinking cheap when you and your wife can afford much better. You need to be thinking at least 30 years out w/ this purchase. Do not buy for today! Buy for tomorrow!!

post #39 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Do you really want to retire to a place w/out A/C? It will cost you at least $20k to add an adequate after-market system and you and your lovely wife will not want to deal w/ the mess involved in adding that. Quit thinking cheap when you and your wife can afford much better. You need to be thinking at least 30 years out w/ this purchase. Do not buy for today! Buy for tomorrow!!
Uh, I think he posted that for my benefit. You can add an entire heat pump with duct work for around $6k--a heat pump acts like AC in the summer if you wish.
post #40 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 04:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
That is the general idea of what I am looking for and the prices are about the same. Difference is, to get the land that those offer, I have to go a minimum of 30 minutes away from Lexington which is not doable since wifies mom requires attention. I can get those houses, at those prices, but on .6-.8 acres.

If I buy a place in Fayette County with 2.5 acres, the land is $250K minimum and then add another $300K for a 3200sqft house.

I almost bought a piece of property overlooking the Kentucky River that was 10 acres, but 5 acres were unusable and near vertical [500 ft drop to the river] and the land, which really only had 2.3 acres on which I could build] was $200K and it was 18 miles out of town but still in Fayette County.
Bear, please forgive me--and do not tell your lovely bride--but if her mom is going to force you into an area and/or a deal that will not work for you long-term, wait for wifies' mom to pass--and then start a search in earnest.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in