BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I spent a considerable amount of time examining the relative merits of granite v. quartz and I have to say that quartz is the only way to go--unless you enjoy having to preform routine maintenance and a somewhat duller look. The quartz is maintenance-free for life and it looks gorgeous even when dirty. Just a spritz of Windex and a paper towel and it is brand new again! But then you have to do your own and wifies' thing to be truly happy.

I used to be a white guy too, but have totally changed my mind about that! I hired a "Colorist" (she actually has a university degree and is a color expert whose husband owned the local BenMoore store) and she was a miracle-worker. I have never been happier w/ a color (bright color in some rooms) scheme in my life. She really knew what she was doing. Some of the colors I used included Old Gold, Bryce Canyon, Limestone and natural wicker. It's amazing what the right mix of colors can do for a home's interior--and exterior for that matter.

Just something to think about. But whatever you do, have fun w/ it!
Yeah, I have a friend that does the same thing. I did her brochures a few years ago. It might be time to call her on the colors. The one thing we were keying off of was a really nice new frig that we just bought last year. So we were trying to key decisions off that in the new place. At dinner we decided that isn't the smart way to do it. If it works, cool if not, we figure it out.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsden View Post
Most of the 'premium' appliance brands are a waste of money, except perhaps for 'cachet' but I don't read you that way. Sub-Zero fridges in particular have an abysmal reliability record. Even worse than MB. CR is pretty good on appliance brands IMHO.

Quartz is more flexible than granite in terms of what you can do with it, but granite (esp the finer grades) offers unsurpassed beauty along with its legendary durability.
I agree that the premium brands are not up to spec. Nearly everyone I know with the $35K kitchens are bitching about things breaking. I have bought Kenmore for decades and never have anything break. And the GE stoves/range in this new place are 42 years old and still cooking. That says something.

Well, it's sign off time. Probate court is tomorrow at 8:00. Good to get all that paperwork behind me.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #103 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 04:23 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Be advised that the GE appliances of today are not the GE appliances of 42 years ago. I know you enjoy a good dust up now and then but when a week old GE appliance stops working, there should be no hesitation from GE about the warranty. Life is too short to argue about the warranty over the phone for a week.

Luckily, Home Depot stopped kicking about exchanging it once I got to the store manager level.

Kenmore. If something goes wrong, they send someone out to fix it. Pronto.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #104 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 05:14 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
The big double door Frigidaire has served us well here in Jakarta and as for cooking, if I came back to the States tomorrow I would still stick withgas for cooking. If the electricity goes off you still got gas to cook with.
post #105 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 08:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Made the bid and it was accepted last night. Locked in the bank stuff today at 4.375 so I was very happy with that.

I have a contractor that I have known for decades that is lined up to start on the garage the day after we sign the papers. All should be done by the Keeneland Concours in August. I even got pre approval from the Zoning/Building Permits folks for the garage and easement [since I would not have bid on the house if it had not passed].

Only problem is, this 60's era house make me feel like I live in Ozzie and Harriet's neighborhood. But with the market like it is, and not being in a McMansion 'hood the price came down very nicely as they really, REALLY wanted to sell so they could lock their new $650K house at good rates.
I would call that 4.375 an incredible rate beings the nations average on 15 & 30 year rates are 5.25- 5.625??????
post #106 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Because you asked...

I bought a Frigidaire bottom freezer refrigerator unit about ten years ago, and it's still working as it did on day one, even though it's now in its third house. I've also had excellent service with Bosch dishwashers and washing machines. I have a Black and Decker toaster/broiler oven I purchased at a St Vincent DePaul thrift store nearly twenty years ago--looks like shit, but still works fine.
post #107 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Well, the deed is done [pun intended]. Locked 4.375 fixed [with 1 point cost]. House cost came in right at 100K under appraisal so I was happy with that, seller, not so much - as he saw the appraisal at closing. Closing went very smooth. As mentioned earlier on another thread, our erstwhile broker from Chase is either creatively writing his new resume or picking his nose, so he was not at the closing.

Tomorrow the hardwood guy shows up to restain/seal the floors since they have not been done since 66. Also, if anyone is interested I will have nearly 400 sqft of quality 1966 Linoleum squares [with patina] available. I will make them available to BWOT prior to putting them on eBay.

Also tomorrow is color day. So I have to be prepared to do the swatch and palette thing for a couple of hours. Personally I thought Rust and Seafoam made a certain statement in the Den but apparently it is just not the appropriate statement for the HDTV generation. Maybe if I transfer the Linoleum...

Now the funny part of this is that, in our house I am the color and decorating half. So I don't have to run anything by wifie, just order the kitchen, floor and paint and lights and we be done.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #108 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Glad to hear it. Maybe you can hire some sweaty, strapping young men to help remodel - shirts off - as a way to entice Shane into assisting with your interior decoration needs.
post #109 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Good gawd, the South doesn't need another garish NOLA brothel motif. Think Scandinavia--please
post #110 of 139 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Well, the deed is done [pun intended]. Locked 4.375 fixed [with 1 point cost]. House cost came in right at 100K under appraisal so I was happy with that, seller, not so much - as he saw the appraisal at closing. Closing went very smooth. As mentioned earlier on another thread, our erstwhile broker from Chase is either creatively writing his new resume or picking his nose, so he was not at the closing.

Tomorrow the hardwood guy shows up to restain/seal the floors since they have not been done since 66. Also, if anyone is interested I will have nearly 400 sqft of quality 1966 Linoleum squares [with patina] available. I will make them available to BWOT prior to putting them on eBay.

Also tomorrow is color day. So I have to be prepared to do the swatch and palette thing for a couple of hours. Personally I thought Rust and Seafoam made a certain statement in the Den but apparently it is just not the appropriate statement for the HDTV generation. Maybe if I transfer the Linoleum...

Now the funny part of this is that, in our house I am the color and decorating half. So I don't have to run anything by wifie, just order the kitchen, floor and paint and lights and we be done.
Take lots of pics--before and after! Of your wife...

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in