Questions for a business school project - please read - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1996 Ford Mustang GT Supercharged (Kenne Bell 2.1L Twin Screw Intercooled) - 425rwhp
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yes, I know those are all questions that need to be answered But for my class I'm in, we aren't that far yet. Right now I'm looking for who my potential customers may be and what I can do to interest them from the standpoint of what they look for in a car/shop. I know they want good performance and good looks. What I mean is "how does the customer define 'good looks'?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:47 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenneBraun View Post
Yes, I know those are all questions that need to be answered But for my class I'm in, we aren't that far yet. Right now I'm looking for who my potential customers may be and what I can do to interest them from the standpoint of what they look for in a car/shop. I know they want good performance and good looks. What I mean is "how does the customer define 'good looks'?"
Didn't someone identify your potential customers as the poseurs? Try to build a model mimicking their personalities or simply use yourself and your buddies in college as test bed for your survey.
A relative term like "good looks" maybe the stickers you put on your Mustang to go faster. For someone like me it's the kind of grease I put in my wheel bearings.
post #53 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:49 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Ok, so now that we have established that you may not be a spammer, let's look at precedence: Where are AMG, Brabus and others now? Have they survived on their own? Why and why not? What was their business model? How would you have done it differently and why? Can you enumerate their strength and weaknesses? Can you identify their strategic management processes throughout a timeline and study what worked and what didn't vis a vis the economies within that timeline. What were the economical impacts on their performance? How would you have hedged their risk? Where would you have taken bold action and what would have that action be?
enjoy!

Damn nigga!!! You went all teacher on us and shit.

post #54 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:52 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill View Post
Damn nigga!!! You went all teacher on us and shit.
da dooode messed with AMG, I had to I had to
post #55 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: bike cost too much to drive
getem drew , preach son preach

living on the edge driving a fine line
post #56 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1996 Ford Mustang GT Supercharged (Kenne Bell 2.1L Twin Screw Intercooled) - 425rwhp
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
A relative term like "good looks" maybe the stickers you put on your Mustang to go faster.
How did you know I put on go-fast stickers? I prefer to call them "precision performance decals" or PPDs for short lol. They're just the LeMans racing stripes.

But seriously, I am hoping to stay as far away as possible from the poser crowd. I can't stand them either. I was hoping to reach some of this crowd someday and I'm trying to figure out how to do so. Sounds like possibly little to no difference in looks but just a performance boost? Like a handling package or pulley upgrade, that type of thing might be of interest someday?

Don't confuse the domestic car owners with the ricers. I have power to back up my looks and as for my car, I don't have a body kit on it, just an OEM Cobra bumper for better cooling. Before you try to tease me about that statement, it really does help in cooling because it has a larger opening in the front for my intercooler and radiator.
post #57 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^ "This crowd" being predominantly Mercedes owners, will go to established firms like Brabus or Lorinser, or say fuck that aftermarket shit and stick with AMG, the latter of which has a pedigree the likes of which you can't just show up with a wad of money and buy.

I'd venture to say that most Mercedes people fall into one of two groups. One half isn't interested in any of this tuning crap. The other half knows that cars are built to a spec, and if you increase performance in one area, you need to ensure the other areas can handle it...these folks will almost universally defer to a company who approaches performance from a holistic standpoint instead of nickel-and-dime'ing their way to a fast car. Alternately, they order a kit on-line and do it themselves, opting to take all the risk. Where does a middle man fit into this?

Again, there are literally hundreds of reasons the model you've described would result in the evaporation of a ton of cash...I don't think you need us to tell you that.
post #58 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 03:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenneBraun View Post
Hey everyone! First of all, this is not spam. I am just a car nut who doesn't have enough money for a Mercedes (college broke) so I make do with my Mustang. I'm taking a business class at the University of Washington for writing a successful business plan. My business I hope to make is one where I buy some cars from a dealership and then customize them completely to make them look like new cars (so like an extreme body kit) and then sell them as customs. I have an assignment this week where I need to interview my "alpha customers," which is the type of people I expect to get the most business from. Since you all are car nuts like me, I figured you'd be the ones to ask.

First of all, please say anything that comes to mind about this, even if it isn't in response to a question. This will actually give me more information than direct answers oddly enough.
I'm going to assume from your post you're looking to have a tuner sort of shop?

My first question is what do you expect to see when you walk in to the shop/showroom? Not what do you expect from experience, but what would you like to see? Perfectly lined up cars in some sort of organized fashion. I hate it when cars are just put in randomly in the showroom. I don't like seeing any offices, sales desks, etc. out in the showroom either, maybe just the receptions desk. Has to be clean at all times and well lit. The shop has to be clean too. Everything should have it's place and not in random areas. If you've seen Pimp My Ride I hate the murals on the walls for some odd reason. I don't think I'd feel as good leaving my car at a shop like that for long periods of time. The shop parking should be clean too, don't make it look like a mini-junkyard with parts and cars all over the place randomly. If you haven't already figured I like things to be presentable and nice.

Second, what is your dream car and why?
MB S600 or S65 AMG. I'm weird like that. I love fast boats.

Third, would you be interested in buying cars this way? What would entice you to change your mind if you don't?
I might be interested in buying cars pre-modified in such a way. Depends on how the place treats me and how professional of a job it's done.

Fourth, any other ideas that I could add in? Such as allowing customers to bring in their cars and then I customize them?
Good idea. Still give customers the option of customizing it the way they want. You just give them a head start with the stuff you offer.

Fifth, how important is gas efficiency vs performance?
Good fuel economy is nice to have, but performance places higher on the list for me.

Sixth, are you more prone to drag race, auto-x, track race, or show the car (keep in mind that many of these cars will have upwards of 600rwhp and some, if there is enough interest, will be all out racecars).
I'd be more of a tracker kind of person. Drag second, then auto-x, then show.

You don't necessarily need to answer all the questions, and if you have a differing view from someone else, please let me know too!

Thanks,
Jeff Braun
Looks like you've figured out OT isn't the best place for answers.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #59 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 03:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
^ "This crowd" being predominantly Mercedes owners, will go to established firms like Brabus or Lorinser, or say fuck that aftermarket shit and stick with AMG, the latter of which has a pedigree the likes of which you can't just show up with a wad of money and buy.

I'd venture to say that most Mercedes people fall into one of two groups. One half isn't interested in any of this tuning crap. The other half knows that cars are built to a spec, and if you increase performance in one area, you need to ensure the other areas can handle it...these folks will almost universally defer to a company who approaches performance from a holistic standpoint instead of nickel-and-dime'ing their way to a fast car. Alternately, they order a kit on-line and do it themselves, opting to take all the risk. Where does a middle man fit into this?

Again, there are literally hundreds of reasons the model you've described would result in the evaporation of a ton of cash...I don't think you need us to tell you that.
There's still a lot of demand for reputable tuner shops to install parts once ordered...

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #60 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^ By Mercedes owners??!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in