Brace yourself! The U.S. Stock Market May "Crash!" - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 10:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
One more confirmation why I don't invest in stock market.
I prefer to work for my money and I prefer ME having the control of them.
Than not everything is fully controllable. 6 years ago my house was worth 4 millions in Polish zlotych. This year it is worth only 2 millions Polish zlotych. The price in US dollars went up. You see where this is going?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 10:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: My Two Left Feet
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I heard ever since the great depression the stock market was set up where it could never crash to that extent ever again. Also, and please be realistic, if you had $1,000 and never invested in the stock market which way would you go about it?

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
post #23 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 10:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
1000 is not much for investment. Althought I was buying houses in CA with that much in the bank. But that was several years ago.
post #24 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 11:01 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Get some balls and invest. Opening an account at TDAmeritrade or E*Trade is easy, gone are the days of high commissions and useless advise. Get educated and work the system.
post #25 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:11 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 97'C280
post #26 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

That is what I was thinking Drew. I know some people back in New York that did good for them selves, but they where buying in $50,000 blocks. Since I don't have that much I heard even starting small would do good. I don't trust traditional retirement plans these days, but I figured some stock options and a retirement plan could look decent in 35 years.

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
post #27 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
This is the beginning of the "Clinton Correction".
I'm sure there was a clever linkage to a thought somewhere in your brain when you started typing that. Apparently it escaped before your fingers hit the enter key.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #28 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybydesignw210 View Post
That is what I was thinking Drew. I know some people back in New York that did good for them selves, but they where buying in $50,000 blocks. Since I don't have that much I heard even starting small would do good. I don't trust traditional retirement plans these days, but I figured some stock options and a retirement plan could look decent in 35 years.
At your age, you can simply put the money in savings bonds right now and let them grow until you get a nest egg large enough to move over to an account that pays better. Plan for 25-30 years down the road. Put 10-15% of every pay check away in something stable and you will be fine at the end of that run.

If you start trading now, you might gain 30% on your money, $300 or you might lose 30% and you will have to double your earnings to catch back up. Jumping in when we don't know the bottom or what is moving next is not a good way to start.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #29 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybydesignw210 View Post
I heard ever since the great depression the stock market was set up where it could never crash to that extent ever again. Also, and please be realistic, if you had $1,000 and never invested in the stock market which way would you go about it?
You should not/cannot get into the stock market w/ only $1k. If I were you I'd put it into a fixed income vehicle, at best rate you can find, and when you have $10k then ask again.

Don't believe everything you think
post #30 of 111 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
At your age, you can simply put the money in savings bonds right now and let them grow until you get a nest egg large enough to move over to an account that pays better. Plan for 25-30 years down the road. Put 10-15% of every pay check away in something stable and you will be fine at the end of that run.

If you start trading now, you might gain 30% on your money, $300 or you might lose 30% and you will have to double your earnings to catch back up. Jumping in when we don't know the bottom or what is moving next is not a good way to start.
What do you think of these high yield online savings accounts. They say the return is around 5%. My friend is putting about 5% of her earnings in it, but she dropped like 20K in it already. I am not a risk taker. I will have an increase in income which should allow me to put up to 15% per-paycheck. I just don't want to put it some where were Im gonna loose it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in