post #81 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 07:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
^ I'm approaching it from the aspect that "empires" don't last, nations do.
The USA has never been an empire. It has a very powerful military and a very powerful economic engine but those are the only factors in common with historic empires.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
The U.S. has its armed forces stationed in 144 countries worldwide. No empire in history could match that.

BTW, and FWIW, Rome's dominion, between Republic and Empire, lasted about 1000 years.
post #83 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 08:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsden View Post
The U.S. has its armed forces stationed in 144 countries worldwide. No empire in history could match that.

BTW, and FWIW, Rome's dominion, between Republic and Empire, lasted about 1000 years.
144 countries, huh? And those countries are compelled to accept them? For example, I don't think the EU wants American forces out of Europe.

I sure do. I'd like to have American forces completely out of Europe and Korea.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

post #84 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Whether or not we're welcome is scarcely the point. The cost outweighs the value, to say nothing of the fact that fundamentally we shouldn't be futzing around in anyone else's business. I don't buy the excuse that we're "oil dependent" as a reason for having outposts at every corner of the globe. There's nothing we need that a nation our size doesn't have at our disposal...we just need to be willing (and smart) enough to recognize that self-sustenance is more important, more valuable than dubious concerns over disrupting miniscule portions of our environment or sight lines.
post #85 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:

Remarkable as it was, it grew to the point where it was unsustainable.

Decline of the Roman Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In short, Bury held that a number of contingencies arose simultaneously: economic decline, Germanic expansion, depopulation of Italy, dependency on Germanic foederati for the military, the disastrous (though Bury believed unknowing) treason of Stilicho, loss of martial vigor, Aetius' murder, the lack of any leader to replace Aetius ‚ÄĒ a series of misfortunes which proved catastrophic in combination.
Say what you want about Wikipedia, I doubt much of what's in this article is far off-base or in dispute. The conclusion is mine, but is certainly widely shared. Bury's synopsis is one of the least cynical or judgmental of those offered.
post #86 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 08:46 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
Whether or not we're welcome is scarcely the point. The cost outweighs the value, to say nothing of the fact that fundamentally we shouldn't be futzing around in anyone else's business. I don't buy the excuse that we're "oil dependent" as a reason for having outposts at every corner of the globe. There's nothing we need that a nation our size doesn't have at our disposal...we just need to be willing (and smart) enough to recognize that self-sustenance is more important, more valuable than dubious concerns over disrupting miniscule portions of our environment or sight lines.
It's not just oil why we are in Iraq, it's about Israel if we have to go with one of the justifications for going to war with that country. We were told that Saddam was threat to peace and would hinder any progress between the Israelis and Palestinians... I wonder how's that progress now?
Sure, we managed to destroy a potential foe to Israel at their request but now we are spending billions to sustain an occupation and not a single IDF soldier is there to help us. I am certain that if we pulled back, Israel will be devastated and will live in constant fear. That's why I think Israel is always pushing for us to stay in Iraq; we have to do its bidding otherwise we would have let down a very dear friend
post #87 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 09:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I seriously doubt the USA would give a crap about the M. E. were there no oil. It would be like our interest in Mozambique.

post #88 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 09:25 PM
CH4S Artist

Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Arab cartoon:
Attached Images

post #89 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
I seriously doubt the USA would give a crap about the M. E. were there no oil. It would be like our interest in Mozambique.
Now let's be serious, shall we? Israel is and has been for decades by far the #1 recipient of U.S. foreign aid, public and private, civilian and military, and I don't think that's about oil, is it.
post #90 of 132 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 09:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Now let's be serious, shall we? Israel is and has been for decades by far the #1 recipient of U.S. foreign aid, public and private, civilian and military, and I don't think that's about oil, is it.
Of course it's about oil. Had the oil been concentrated in any other part of the globe, we'd have been clear of Israel shortly after assuaging the collective European Guilt by giving Jews land owned by somebody else.

B

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in