I was talking to my daughter tonight, and realised that I have no idea how to 'decade' group name these years.
For example, going back to the last century, the 20's, 30's....80's, 90's are easily identifiable and unmistakeable.
Further.... what is the identifier " 's " for the years 2010 to 2019?.
I've been enamel painting all day - cut me some slack if the answers are too obvious huh!.
Google/Wiki-coming to an ISP near you soon
Names of the decade
In contrast to the decades from 1920
, which are called "the Twenties", "the Sixties", and the like, the 2000s have no universally-accepted name. Some refer to the decade as the "twenty hundreds" while others may refer to it as the "two thousands". In written form this could appear as "the '00s". But writing "the 2000s" or simply saying
"the 2000s" can cause confusion, since this could refer to the entire 21st century—or even the entire millennium.
Determining a name for the decade has been problematic, especially in the United States. The term "Noughties" has been suggested by the BBC
but this term has not gained general currency, except perhaps in the United Kingdom
Other proposed names include:
- aughts, aughties, and double-aughts, from 'aught', which, like "naught" means "zero" (aughts was one of the more popular terms in the early 20th century)
- naughties which is often used to describe the new 'naughtiness' being tolled in by the new decade.
- nils and nillies, from "nil", meaning "nothing"
- 2Ks, from the Greek term khilioi, meaning "thousand"
- ōzies, and the Twenty-O's, from the practice of calling the number zero 'O'
- zeroes, double zeroes, ohs, double ohs, oh-ohs, and twenty ohs.
The United Nations General Assembly
has declared the decade of 2000–2009 the "International Decade for a Culture of Peace and Non-Violence for the Children of the World."