post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Michigan Primary, Round 3 - We Could have had a V8

Time for Round 3, a state that everyone blew off until late Tuesday night. So now the Michigan media stocks are starting to soar in a fully rusted out and foreclosed economy.

Who will drop out after Michigan or will it be "I just need to see warm breezes of South Carolina before I can decide"?

So fire up the Pink Cadillac Crushed velvet seats waving to the Crowd, spending all your money on a Saturday Night.

Let's Roll

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
OK, you take Barbara Bush [W's mom], I'll take Barbara Bush [W's daughter]

Huckabee and Thompson Trade Barbs
Jan 12 11:30 AM US/Eastern
By LIBBY QUAID
Associated Press Writer

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP) - Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee went from Mr. Nice to Mr. Nasty when rival Fred Thompson started calling him what he considered a bad name—a liberal.

The Southerners are fighting on warmer, more familiar turf in South Carolina, which holds a Republican primary four days after Michigan votes on Tuesday. Huckabee, the former governor of Arkansas, wants to build on his victory in the Iowa caucuses, while Thompson, once a Tennessee senator, needs a victory to keep his campaign afloat.

Huckabee said Friday that the lawyer-turned-actor-turned-politician had little to show for his time in the Senate.

"Eight years is a pretty long time to get a check from the federal government and not be able to say" he passed a major bill, Huckabee sniped.

In fairness, it was Thompson who started the spat, calling Huckabee a liberal on the economy and foreign affairs in Thursday's GOP debate in South Carolina. He ticked off Huckabee's alleged sins against that most hallowed of Republican institutions, the church of Ronald Reagan.

"On the one hand, you have the Reagan revolution. You have the Reagan coalition of limited government and strong national security," Thompson said. "On the other hand, you have the direction that Governor Huckabee would take us in."

Among Huckabee's transgressions: He called President Bush's foreign policy "arrogant," he supported taxpayer-funded scholarships for children of illegal immigrants and he signed a smoking ban into law.

"So much for federalism," sniffed Thompson, who enjoys cigars. "So much for states' rights."

Thompson clearly hit where it hurt, and Huckabee struck back several times while campaigning Friday in Michigan.

"It was real interesting hearing Fred Thompson talk about Ronald Reagan last night," Huckabee said. "Because Fred Thompson supported Gerald Ford in 1976 and not Ronald Reagan. He supported (fellow Tennessean) Howard Baker in 1980 and not Ronald Reagan. I appreciate his recent conversion, but some of us were for Ronald Reagan back in the early days; our legacy goes back a little further."

Then he got more personal, saying Thompson had little to show for his time as senator from Tennessee. Thompson didn't pass measures on illegal immigration or other issues he is campaigning on, Huckabee said.

Both men are wooing the same Christian conservative voters as they try to fend off Arizona Sen. John McCain, who won Tuesday's New Hampshire primary with moderate Republican and independent support. Huckabee, a former Southern Baptist preacher, has rallied pastors behind him, while Thompson has collected a series of endorsements from anti- abortion groups.

Lashing out is new for Huckabee, who defeated his chief rival in Iowa, Republican Mitt Romney, in large measure by staying positive while Romney assailed him with television commercials.

In fact, Huckabee made an elaborate gesture to show he was Mr. Nice, holding a news conference to announce he had decided not to respond with an attack ad of his own. He played the ad for journalists anyway, but his decision was interpreted by many Iowa voters as staying above the fray.

Even then, Huckabee said he might go negative in South Carolina or another state.

"Each election we'll look at on its own terms," he told reporters traveling with him in Iowa. "I sensed here in Iowa, people were really, really exhausted with the kind of nasty stuff that they'd been seeing and inundated with."

Not that he's being nasty, of course. After suggesting that Thompson needed to lighten up—he told MSNBC on Friday that Thompson needed to drink a bit of the digestive aid Metamucil—Huckabee later assured reporters that he was only trying to bring some humor to the stump.

In contrast to Huckabee, Thompson's demeanor has been more grumpy old man than Mr. Nice. He is 65, while Huckabee is 52.

Some people "don't like to have their records talked about," Thompson said Friday in Mount Pleasant, S.C. For anyone who didn't get the reference, Thompson helpfully added, "one of the guys who shall remain named Governor Huckabee."

Spoiling for a fight, Thompson even questioned whether Huckabee had a more hardscrabble upbringing. Huckabee's dad worked two jobs as a firefighter and mechanic, and Huckabee was the family's first male high school graduate. Thompson's dad was a used-car salesman with an eighth-grade education.

"I can out-poor any of them," Thompson said. "I grew up under more modest circumstances than anybody on that stage."

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notes from Fred at the debate
"On the one hand, you have the Reagan revolution. You have the Reagan coalition of limited government...
Now I have noticed that ALL the Republicans seem to want to "Be like Ron" from the sound of their debate comments. But I think many of them might need to either bone up on their history or get older advisers who actually lived through the Reagan era. This Reagan Coalition of Limited Government...not so much.

Here is a good comparison of Reagan v Bush2 on the subject. And it comes from very credible, very conservative sources.

Here is the link, it article is very good but to long to post. J will blur over and I will get a call.

Reagan vs. Dubya: A Size of Government Contest by by W. James Antle III

McBear,
Kentucky

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
I don't think anybody ever confused either Bush presidents with a conservative.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
I agree, my point was that everyone is pointing to the Reagan era as "conservative" and it was as "charge and spend" as Bush2 is. It also grew the size of "government" as in the number of people working in government and the number of departments/agencies [well, except air traffic controllers].

McBear,
Kentucky

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
I think a lot of folks confused Bush 43 with a conservative while he was running for office. Of course once he got in, it was 'about face' in short order.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^ Not necessarily true. We recognized him as "not at all affiliated with the Clintons".
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

He ran a small government, non-interventionist foreign policy campaign. You may not have believed it, I know I didn't (I found him slightly less credible and far less moral than Clinton), but I'm sure plenty of folks did.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 06:26 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
He ran a small government, non-interventionist foreign policy campaign. You may not have believed it, I know I didn't (I found him slightly less credible and far less moral than Clinton), but I'm sure plenty of folks did.
Are you talking about Fiddling Cigar, Stained Blue Dress Clinton or the Lying Bitch Clinton?
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Mr. Clinton. And the SC brown baby episode trumps anything he ever did. That incident told me everything I needed to know about the man.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in