Has anybody told Jay, Please let him down easy, don't want him to pull a Britney..... - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 10:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I think the market will be up again this year, but the first half is likely to experience serious resistance.
First quarter is going to be "nervie". As we started loading in the orders I asked if it would be better to just cash it out and set fire to it in the parking lot. She was only partially laughing.

She keeps harassing me because I picked 3 funds last year and she picked 3 to deal with. Hers were up an average 18% and mine were up 39% average. We did the same this year as we reset.

But until quarterlies are through and people can see IF the worst if over and this Fn SubPrime mess runs it's course [you didn't believe me when I told you it would be 8 quarters]by the end of 2008. End of Q2 will tell IF the SubPrime cancer spills over onto the economy as a whole, no matter what the FED does. If it does, add 18 months to the "lowered expectations".

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 10:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
And Inflation is no worry?
"...no worry" at this time.

Don't believe everything you think
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 10:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
First quarter is going to be "nervie". As we started loading in the orders I asked if it would be better to just cash it out and set fire to it in the parking lot. She was only partially laughing.

She keeps harassing me because I picked 3 funds last year and she picked 3 to deal with. Hers were up an average 18% and mine were up 39% average. We did the same this year as we reset.

But until quarterlies are through and people can see IF the worst if over and this Fn SubPrime mess runs it's course [you didn't believe me when I told you it would be 8 quarters]by the end of 2008. End of Q2 will tell IF the SubPrime cancer spills over onto the economy as a whole, no matter what the FED does. If it does, add 18 months to the "lowered expectations".
I did underestimate the extent of the sub-prime mess. But I knew a couple years ago that when the housing bubble burst the shit would hit the fan. I just didn't count on the credit markets bursting w/ it. Kind of a double-whammy, the likes of which we have never seen before--and hopefully never will again.

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
the likes of which we have never seen before--and hopefully never will again.
As long as the Bush family has no hands in this one, remember Neil Bush and his saga of the S&L mass in the 80's?

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 12:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
I did underestimate the extent of the sub-prime mess. But I knew a couple years ago that when the housing bubble burst the shit would hit the fan. I just didn't count on the credit markets bursting w/ it. Kind of a double-whammy, the likes of which we have never seen before--and hopefully never will again.
The thing with Sub-Prime, Housing, the credit markets and the Finance Sector is they are so tightly intertwined since Greenspan built all these Hedge and derivative and CBO and leveraged instruments that have polluted the entire spectrum.

It used to be [before this deregulation and elimination of federal oversight] that banks would hold paper as their own asset. NOW most institutions simply act as a facilitator and package the paper to a widespread number of hedge and leveraged derivative funds. When it worked it worked well for everyone but it only took one tripcord to bring everything down since there has never been a fiscal foundation for that system. It was basically designed as a "this works when it works" system.

Much of the worldwide system of non secured securities are going to be redesigned to get this cleared up. There will be much less leverage in the future so when there is a trip, it won't cascade at 35 to 1 again.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.

Last edited by mcbear; 01-12-2008 at 12:42 PM.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 01:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
The thing with Sub-Prime, Housing, the credit markets and the Finance Sector is they are so tightly intertwined since Greenspan built all these Hedge and derivative and CBO and leveraged instruments that have polluted the entire spectrum.

It used to be [before this deregulation and elimination of federal oversight] that banks would hold paper as their own asset. NOW most institutions simply act as a facilitator and package the paper to a widespread number of hedge and leveraged derivative funds. When it worked it worked well for everyone but it only took one tripcord to bring everything down since there has never been a fiscal foundation for that system. It was basically designed as a "this works when it works" system.

Much of the worldwide system of non secured securities are going to be redesigned to get this cleared up. There will be much less leverage in the future so when there is a trip, it won't cascade at 35 to 1 again.
I mostly agree! Sometimes it takes a disaster to get financial institutions to build in some safeguards they never thought would be necessary. It was an unusual confluence of events that brought this about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in