BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2005 C230K
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to kjhayes007
(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb American motorists SUCK

I have lived in Germany for 7 years and OH, how I miss the autobahn...

Many Americans have no idea what they are doing on the road. Things that piss me off:

Most have no idea what hazard lights are for... I could count on one hand how many times I've seen an American motorist use his/her hazards to signal an accident ahead (as a courtesy to drivers behind you), or use their hazards when their vehicle breaks down on the side of the road... speaking of which, pull off to the right side of the road if at all possible, retard..

No turn signals... even when it is courteous and downright essential to signal your intentions, Americans are too lazy to reach for the signal stalk. If you're driving down I-30 in the middle of Texas and there isn't another vehicle until New Mexico, fine, splurge a little. But come on, if you have vehicles around you, waiting on you, or behind you, let them know what twisted little decisions you are about to make.

Consider stopping to help if there is an accident. Especially if someone could be hurt. Thanks hero.

Get over to the left lane (when possible) if a police officer makes a traffic stop, or a vehicle is broke down...

Turn your lights on when it is STARTING to get dark, or when you are using your windshield wipers ... and parking lights are for parked vehicles

Buckle your kids up broad!

Driving while text messaging and chatting on the cell phone... use your head.... set.

And of course, hovering in the passing lane... what the hell is so degrading about getting back in the right lane after you have finished passing? Some backwoods retard here in Arkansas even proceeded to give me the finger (in front of his wife and kids packed into their minivan) because I flashed my headlights, signalling my deisire to pass.

I'm sure there are others. I reserve the right to bitch about my fellow countryman further should I think of other atrocities taking place on our roads. I don't care if this has been covered before. I'm covering it again. That is all.

For now.

If you can think of other offenses, please share...

KJ

Last edited by kjhayes007; 01-01-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 11:21 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
In general the American public wants to treat driving as a passive, all equal, little participation, endeavor. Americans feel they are islands in the stream and not part of a greater whole. The individual rules supreme here, no where else is this more readily apparent than behind the wheel of their respective auto.

Last edited by Shane; 01-01-2008 at 11:26 AM.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjhayes007 View Post
I have lived in Germany for 7 years and OH, how I miss the autobahn...

Many Americans have no idea what they are doing on the road. Things that piss me off:

Most have no idea what hazard lights are for... I could count on one hand how many times I've seen an American motorist use his/her hazards to signal an accident ahead (as a courtesy to drivers behind you), or use their hazards when their vehicle breaks down on the side of the road... speaking of which, pull off to the right side of the road if at all possible, retard..

No turn signals... even when it is courteous and downright essential to signal your intentions, Americans are too lazy to reach for the signal stalk. If you're driving down I-30 in the middle of Texas and there isn't another vehicle until New Mexico, fine, splurge a little. But come on, if you have vehicles around you, waiting on you, or behind you, let them know what twisted little decisions you are about to make.

Consider stopping to help if there is an accident. Especially if someone could be hurt. Thanks hero.

Get over to the left lane (when possible) if a police officer makes a traffic stop, or a vehicle is broke down...

Turn your lights on when it is STARTING to get dark, or when you are using your windshield wipers ... and parking lights are for parked vehicles

Buckle your kids up broad!

Driving while text messaging and chatting on the cell phone... use your head.... set.

And of course, hovering in the passing lane... what the hell is so degrading about getting back in the right lane after you have finished passing? Some backwoods retard here in Arkansas even proceeded to give me the finger (in front of his wife and kids packed into their minivan) because I flashed my headlights, signalling my deisire to pass.

I'm sure there are others. I reserve the right to bitch about my fellow countryman further should I think of other atrocities taking place on our roads. I don't care if this has been covered before. I'm covering it again. That is all.

For now.

If you can think of other offenses, please share...
I agree, American drivers are some of the lamest in the western world. No concept of lane discipline. I just returned from a 1800 mile road trip and observed many of above offenses.

And I thought this off-topic section was only for pointless discussions comparing political lies and crap...

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 11:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you think Arkansas is bad you REALLY don't want to drive in OHIO.

Kentucky has laws to cover most of what you posted [2,4,5,6,8] but I have never seen any of them enforced. Apparently a speed trap is more fun and generates more revenue.

Oh, and stopping folks from going 7 over keeps the roads much safer too.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 11:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
I would really like to respond in depth to your post but I am driving right now and these fucking assholes keep riding my ass, making it hard to type.

why does everyone keep signaling that I am no. 1?
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 12:01 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoseyman View Post
I would really like to respond in depth to your post but I am driving right now and these fucking assholes keep riding my ass, making it hard to type.

why does everyone keep signaling that I am no. 1?
Cause you got gutters sticking out of your half open trunk
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 12:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1989 560 SL
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I you drive in South Florida you will get an ulcer before your 10th mile. But I wont fault American motorists, but the diversity of motorists applying the rules (or rather lack of them) of their own countries. Driving here is down right dangerous, and that is reflected in the higher insurance rates.

So, happy new year and stop whining . . .

Last edited by SobeOne; 01-01-2008 at 06:14 PM.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 12:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjhayes007 View Post

My biggest pet peeve. Drivers act like it's a sign of weakness to get back over. Or worse yet, speed up, when you try to get around them via the middle or right lane.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 12:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
My personal favorite is grandpa signalling left to
go right :-O
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2005 C230K
Send a message via Yahoo to kjhayes007
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
If you think Arkansas is bad you REALLY don't want to drive in OHIO.

Kentucky has laws to cover most of what you posted [2,4,5,6,8] but I have never seen any of them enforced. Apparently a speed trap is more fun and generates more revenue.

Oh, and stopping folks from going 7 over keeps the roads much safer too.
I used to live in Ohio for a year (Warren/Youngstown) and I know what you mean... I have to say the worst I have ever seen was in the Baltimore/DC area and I-95... thats mass hysteria if I've ever seen it. Notable mention goes to Anchorage, Alaska... its winter 3/4 of the year, so 65 on snow and ice during your morning commute is business as usual...

Quote:
So, happy new year and stop winning . . .
Sometimes a good hard cry is liberating.

KJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in