Study Shows Fox News Gives Most Balanced Coverage - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 09:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman View Post
I'm curious as to why some who would otherwise want to be known as conservative Republicans would find Ron Paul so repulsive. He lives and breaths what you seek, so why do you find him unacceptable (please cite policy references and not his relative chances to be the nominee)?
Ed: He's not repulsive to me, but I second Jayhawk's concern about isolationism on Paul's part. Particularly, his pledge to bring home our troops from Iraq and precipitously end our effort there is troublesome. With the AQ fleeing Iraq into Afghanistan and Pakistan, and the unsettled nature of our understanding of what Iran is up to, that would send the wrong message at the wrong time. Jihadists do not negotiate and they use any sign of weakness to their advantage.

Secondly, on a practical basis, Paul would have trouble governing because he has no libertarian party to work with in Congress who share his strict construction of conservatism. In our political system, coalitions are formed during the election process, not afterward. When you hear folks claim the politicians are beholden to "special interests" they are referring to those coalitions. I don't see how Paul can form coalitions around his agenda to diminish government; it didn't work for Newt Gingrich and the Contract for America which wanted to rid us of the Education Department, for example.

Like Ross Perot, Paul, with his sizable warchest, could do a lot of damage to Republicans if he ran as a third party candidate. I hope he doesn't. Then, again, the Democrats have to worry about Michael Bloomberg doing the same

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 09:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade View Post
Just look who is talking; only someone in the last stages of teritiary brain syphilis, would tell us that "to me the best democrat is worse than the worst Republican".

You should start out with telling us how much you donated to the re election campaign contribution to Larry Craig (R-Idaho) who is a pretty good example of everything you people stand for.

Intellectually you are nothing more than someone who fancies themselves Jayhawk in a tuxedo.

We can see through your Patriot Act
A great example of dimwit liberal hypocrisy is revelling in outing a gay Republican. You want to let "gay men lead Boy Scouts on camping trips but you won't let a gay man be a Republican."

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #33 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Interesting, but I would wonder what the criteria was for the two elements that he showed up as being "liberal," ie - was he truly liberal or did he just happen to disagree with those who profess to be conservative.
The survey was carefully crafted to control for that, IMO. But here is a brief summary of their methodology and a link to the survey itself. Take it and see what you think...

Dealing With The Issues - Forbes.com

Don't believe everything you think
post #34 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 09:44 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
^^^^As you are the survey expert, why don't you do a poll/survey here on the OT, if they can be manipulated so easily then let's see how these OT Dems are putt in your hands, sculpt them in to Repubs
post #35 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 09:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1989 560 SL
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
A great example of dimwit liberal hypocrisy is revelling in outing a gay Republican. You want to let "gay men lead Boy Scouts on camping trips but you won't let a gay man be a Republican."
The problem is that these gay Republicans are pushing an agenda of denying rights to the gay community for political gain. They are hypocrites and liars are are deservingly outed as far as I can see.

So in view of the above, yes I would have no problem having my kids and their friends lead by a gay man in camping trips, as long as this man is out and lead a happy gay life. I would have a problem if this gay man was an anti-gay gay republican senator as hypocrisy and self-hate are human miseries I don't want anywhere near my kids. Capicce?

Now, my kids will NEVER be part f the congressional page program.

Last edited by SobeOne; 12-30-2007 at 10:00 AM.
post #36 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
^^^^As you are the survey expert, why don't you do a poll/survey here on the OT, if they can be manipulated so easily then let's see how these OT Dems are putt in your hands, sculpt them in to Repubs
Surveys don't "shape"--they only reflect...

post #37 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 09:58 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
^^^^Come on Jay don't give up so easy, these Dems are putty in your masterful hands.........
post #38 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Flawed logic from bottomline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
A great example of dimwit liberal hypocrisy is revelling in outing a gay Republican. You want to let "gay men lead Boy Scouts on camping trips but you won't let a gay man be a Republican[/B]."
That is just plain stupid, bottomline. This is the best you can do???!! Your sanctimonious whining and preaching surrounds arguments that are FULL of holes.

........Larry Craig (R-Idaho) exemplifies the EPITOME
of Republican hypocrisy, a target rich opportunity because he was caught soliciting for a gay act, and when caught piously decries he is NOT gay, and never was; and the CRIME charged wasn't even "being" gay, it was for soliciting a gay act in a public place.

Dimwit Republican hypocrisy......Larry Craig, and YOU....tow people cut from the same cloth .......... obviously

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #39 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
The survey was carefully crafted to control for that, IMO. But here is a brief summary of their methodology and a link to the survey itself. Take it and see what you think...

Dealing With The Issues - Forbes.com
OK, I took the survey. It would seem my views align most readily with Dr. Paul's, with Fred coming up second. That being said, the survey isn't measuring Dr. Paul's conservatism, rather how his views line up with others labeled conservative.

Last edited by edfreeman; 12-30-2007 at 01:12 PM.
post #40 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
OK, I took the survey. It would seem my views align most readily with Dr. Paul's, with Fred coming up second. That being said, the survey isn't measuring Dr. Paul's conservatism, rather how his views line up with others labelled conservative.
Whatever...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in