Study Shows Fox News Gives Most Balanced Coverage - Page 11 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
If you are going to rationalize broadcast news, at least do so from an independent poll source [commercial poll sources are plenty] instead of a known conservative [or liberal] polling source. Why taint your comments with bogus data. That seems conta-indicative of your science background.

And regarding news vs entertainment. Their is a considered perception that the NEWS does not spin and that is left to the commentators/editorial boards of broadcasts. It is why for so many years there has been a specific break in the broadcast when a station does an "editorial". It is an FCC rule.
C'mon, there was another analysis done really this year indicating approximately the same thing. I posted it, remember? I sure do because in caused a similar firestorm. If I remember correctly, it was carried out by 2 PhD's one in the SUNY network and the other out of the UC network. I think in that instance everybody was jiggly because of the metric used.

So what if it's true? Does that mean everything you believe is wrong? Heck no.

It simply means that of the people polled, most of them found the news stories on Fox were more 'fair and balanced' than others. What does that mean? Well, for a significant number I'll bet it means that advertising works: The 'Fair and Balanced' commercials worked as well as a Bud Lite commercial -- we imprint the jingle or phrase and then regurgitate it when the right button is pushed.

It also means that folks who watch FoxNews and other news programs find it easier to separate analysis and editorial opinion from hard news than on the competitor's programs. TThe FoxNews analysis is clearly rightwing and they are clearly NOT news shows. Only a freaking idiot could confuse O'Reilly with a reporter. But apparently there are people who cannot separate Olberman from straight news. It's worse on CNN where the same people who report news may also turn-up on an analysis show. FoxNews hasn't done that ... yet. But if there is money in it I have no doubt they will.

How do you tell if a news story is biased? If they something good about your political opponents.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
^ Just kidding...sucks you had to clean house. I was poking at you not doing research for others, since you're far and away BWOT's "MVP".
The guys had two rules: no drugs or stolen property EVER in the building and I found a bit of both. So their second chance was that I let them "quit". Spent the next two days going over EVERYTHING in the shop.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #103 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:48 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
C'mon, there was another analysis done really this year indicating approximately the same thing. I posted it, remember? I sure do because in caused a similar firestorm. If I remember correctly, it was carried out by 2 PhD's one in the SUNY network and the other out of the UC network. I think in that instance everybody was jiggly because of the metric used.

It simply means that of the people polled, most of them found the news stories on Fox were more 'fair and balanced' than others. What does that mean? Well, for a significant number I'll bet it means that advertising works: The 'Fair and Balanced' commercials worked as well as a Bud Lite commercial -- we imprint the jingle or phrase and then regurgitate it when the right button is pushed.

It also means that folks who watch FoxNews and other news programs find it easier to separate analysis and editorial opinion from hard news than on the competitor's programs. TThe FoxNews analysis is clearly rightwing and they are clearly NOT news shows. Only a freaking idiot could confuse O'Reilly with a reporter. But apparently there are people who cannot separate Olberman from straight news. It's worse on CNN where the same people who report news may also turn-up on an analysis show. FoxNews hasn't done that ... yet. But if there is money in it I have no doubt they will.

How do you tell if a news story is biased? If they something good about your political opponents.

B
And there's the rub, Fox has earned a well-deserved reputation as an uber-biased right-wing rag because of their gaggle of O'Reilly's. But I have no trouble at all finding the poll results credible. Fox, just like every other network, has to do something that's credible so they don't get laughed out of the ballpark, and in their case, it's their hard news format. Good on them.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #104 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 03:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
And there's the rub, Fox has earned a well-deserved reputation as an uber-biased right-wing rag because of their gaggle of O'Reilly's. But I have no trouble at all finding the poll results credible. Fox, just like every other network, has to do something that's credible so they don't get laughed out of the ballpark, and in their case, it's their hard news format. Good on them.
I'll bet O'Reilly pays for the news. In other words, people like to rubberneck an accident scene -- that's O'Reilly and he charges an entrance fee.

I can't prove it with numbers but I recall that news is pretty much a loser for the parent company unless something gawdy comes along -- like Princess Diana or Paris Hilton or a tsunami. So the other programming subsidizes it.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #105 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 03:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post

B
I remember the previous report. It was a bit different in results but I think the problem I see with Fox and CNN is that they merge their commentary and their news just too much. At one of the places I hang for lunch they have Fox on so I see 90 minutes of it daily. I also see 30 minutes at night. Considering what I have read in the international press and other sources during the day I am usually very surprised at what they just fail to put on. I think THAT is the main problem I have with the news side as I distill the issue in my head.

When I see a 90 minute newscast and it fails to cover much significant daily news of the economy, foreign policy and consumer issues that are important in decision making YET I see a plethora of car chases, Hollywood highlights and fluffernutter I wonder about WHY. CNN is not much better [and on some subjects worse].

The three broadcast networks, on the other hand tend to focus on the real issues of the day as opposed to so much fluff [although there is some in every broadcast].

It is, as we both have been saying all about the money. Fox knows its 1.5M audience and I guess that is what is is going after hard.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #106 of 123 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 04:22 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
The guys had two rules: no drugs or stolen property EVER in the building and I found a bit of both. So their second chance was that I let them "quit". Spent the next two days going over EVERYTHING in the shop.
L & S out on the bricks?

I HATE it when good help goes bad. All the good times go right out the door along with the time you spent training and such.

Sorry to hear that.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #107 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 11:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
L & S out on the bricks?

I HATE it when good help goes bad. All the good times go right out the door along with the time you spent training and such.

Sorry to hear that.
They brought in a friend of their's car to do work on it that had dubious parts. I tracked down the source and got them back to the shop they belonged to as I knew the guy did not have the money to buy what he was putting on the car. The friend was also responsible for the other stuff.

I was already moving the shop so it made it easy to just move and not provide new keys which makes security much easier. I am interviewing a older, experienced guy today so it might just turn out better.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #108 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Fair and Balanced takes a Holiday

Well, they have been doing with coverage all year but this is the first time they really overtly are trying to shape the election by "inviting" chosen candidates.

While I agree that the 1%ers are just white noise that really busy up the debate, it is their right to be there and NOT the right of the network to chose to have a debate with only a limited subset of the field. At that point they move from reporting the news to shaping the news and are no longer a news organization.

__________________________________________________ __
TV cuts candidates from debates, angering Paul backers

NEW YORK (AP) -- ABC and Fox News Channel are narrowing the field of presidential candidates invited to debates this weekend just before the New Hampshire primary, in Fox's case infuriating supporters of Republican Rep. Ron Paul.

The roster of participants for ABC's back-to-back, prime-time Republican and Democratic debates Saturday in New Hampshire will be determined after results of Thursday's Iowa caucus become clear.

Fox, meanwhile, has invited five GOP candidates to a forum with Chris Wallace scheduled for its mobile studio in New Hampshire on Sunday. Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Sen. John McCain of Arizona, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former Sen. Fred Thompson of Tennessee received invites, leaving Paul of Texas and Rep. Duncan Hunter of California on the sidelines.

The network said it had limited space in its studio -- a souped-up bus -- and that it invited candidates who had received double-digit support in recent polls.

In a nationwide poll conducted December 14-20 by The Associated Press and Yahoo, Thompson had the support of 11 percent of GOP voters and Paul was at 3 percent. Paul's support is at 6 percent in a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll conducted in early December.

Paul was tied with Thompson for fifth in New Hampshire in the most recent Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll, each with the support of 4 percent of likely voters. Among all New Hampshire voters, Paul led Thompson 6 percent to 4 percent, but that was within the poll's margin of error.

Jesse Benton, Paul's spokesman, said it was a "big mistake" not to include Paul, especially given Paul's recent success in fundraising. He said the campaign has been trying to reach Fox News to get an explanation for the decision, but its calls had not been returned.

"There very well might be some bias," Benton said. "Ron brings up some topics that aren't very popular with Fox News, as in fiscal responsibility and withdrawing from the war in Iraq ... that does leave us scratching our heads a little bit about whether it was deliberate. Based on metrics, I don't see how you can possibly exclude Dr. Paul."

Some livid Paul supporters are distributing e-mails calling for a boycott of Fox advertisers.

A Fox representative did not immediately return calls for comment about the complaints.

Paul has been invited to a GOP forum that Fox News is sponsoring in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, on January 10, Benton said.

To participate in ABC's Saturday night debate, Republican and Democratic candidates must meet at least one of three benchmarks: place first through fourth in Iowa, poll 5 percent or higher in one of the last four major New Hampshire surveys, or poll 5 percent or higher in one of the last four major national surveys.

ABC News anchor Charles Gibson said the criteria were actually quite inclusive. He defended the network taking the initiative in effectively narrowing the field at a point when no actual voters had cast a ballot, except for Iowa caucus-goers.

"You will have had a year's politicking," he said. "You will have had, I think by count, about 641 debates. You will have had national polls and state polls and one state's vote. I think that's pretty indicative."

Gibson said ABC explained the rules for participation in a conference call with all the campaigns and "nobody said, "How dare you!' "

TV cuts candidates from debates, angering Paul backers - CNN.com

McBear,
Kentucky

post #109 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 12:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Nice try. You want to see who owns Sourcewatch, Look it up. Post it. Unlike most of the natterings from the "research institutes" who hide their foundation benefactors, their dubious intent and their political agendas, Sourcewatch and media transparency both publish all of their sources.

As I posted above, Media Transparency makes no bones about their interest to out Conservative BS.

Sourcewatch has a complete list of all their funding on their website. You will be VERY surprised with the results of your research.

Either do it, publish it or shut up. I don't do other's research.
SHUT UP! he writes! SHUT UP! No, no, no, I don't think so... I call you on your sources and you throw up the wall. I believe that says a lot about how you operate. One standard for you and another one for the rest of us...what do you call us...ah, kiddies as I recall. To SHUT UP is to acquiesce to the emperor wearing his new clothes when he is really mcBARE.

No, can't shut up. Having too much fun.

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
post #110 of 123 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 01:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

And regarding news vs entertainment. Their is a considered perception that the NEWS does not spin and that is left to the commentators/editorial boards of broadcasts. It is why for so many years there has been a specific break in the broadcast when a station does an "editorial". It is an FCC rule.
McBare, you should immediately contact Dan Rather about this "considered perception".

Charter member of the Vast Rightwing Conspiracy and proud of it.

God Bless the America we're trying to create.
--Hillary Rodham Clinton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in