The Difference Between Liberals, Conservatives, And Southerners - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 04:41 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce R. View Post
No, there are better guns out there.... H&K, Walther, Browning, etc. something in at least .40 S&W caliber. You might want to consider a revolver, many folks consider them easier to control as they don't bounce around as much.....
Walther, H&K, or Sig Sauer make high end quality guns, but for my large hands and wrists, the Glock 21 chambered for .45 ACP with three of the old 13 round clips, and a box of black talons, are still my preference.
This Glock is the rare gun with which I can target shoot, and empty a clip one handed.
Apropos kick, my very impressive looking Colt Peacemaker 357 Magnum CTG kicks more than a mule, talk about recoil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I like the way the Model 92 9mm Beretta fits my hand. This one has law enforcement clip. I've never fired this one but I've fired my brother's which is just like it. I inherited this one from my dad. He carried it as his service firearm.
Attached Images

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 08:43 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The Berretta 92 is a proven good firearm, and weights 970 gramm.
The comparable Glock 17 (9mm) weights 625 gramm, less than the Berretta without a clip.
Gun enthusiasts either love, or hate Glock's, but the lower weight combined with reduced recoil makes a big difference.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 09:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't get to shoot anybody today.... sigh.

Oh well, tomorrow's another day.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 10:09 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
...If there was not one in the pipe ...
Never happen. If he knows what he's doing, there's a round in the chamber, hammer cocked and safety engaged. That's the proper way to carry a 1911 (Browning P35 or SIG P210).

Drive as fast as you can...but no faster.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 05:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
Walther, H&K, or Sig Sauer make high end quality guns, but for my large hands and wrists, the Glock 21 chambered for .45 ACP with three of the old 13 round clips, and a box of black talons, are still my preference.
This Glock is the rare gun with which I can target shoot, and empty a clip one handed.
Apropos kick, my very impressive looking Colt Peacemaker 357 Magnum CTG kicks more than a mule, talk about recoil.
In my opinion, recoil is in the hand of the beholder, my first handgun was a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum. It kicks pretty good by some standards, but the grip works to mitigate some of the recoil by rolling up in the hand. Anyway, I guess the point was not so much the recoil of the autoloaders, because most aren't all that bad, even the 1911 (again in my opinion) but they do jump around a lot when that slide starts to fly back and forth... I find it's harder to re acquire the target with an auto then with a revolver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
The Beretta 92 is a proven good firearm, and weights 970 gram.
The comparable Glock 17 (9mm) weights 625 gram, less than the Berretta without a clip.
Gun enthusiasts either love, or hate Glock's, but the lower weight combined with reduced recoil makes a big difference.
I can agree with your assessment of the Beretta 92, it’s a decent, reliable firearm, but trouble free, not really… You may recall in the early military contracts they had some serious problems with cracked slides, there was even a company that manufactured a closed top slide to eliminate the stress risers that was thought to cause those slides to fracture. Yes, I know about the ammo problems, but the slides still were a failure problem, as were the frames.

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 06:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Quote:
You might want to consider a revolver, many folks consider them easier to control as they don't bounce around as much.....
I agree with that. The nicest handgun I ever shot was a Colt (?) revolver with a 6 inch barrel, chambered for .357 Magnum. It just felt right. I shot a Glock the same day (9mm) and I just didn't find it accurate by comparison. Now of course, these were rental guns at a range I was at, so the Glock may not have been in the best shape. But that .357 was sweet.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 06:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I have a Taurus "Total Titanium" snubby in .38 Special +P that is a blast to shoot. 148 grain hollow base wadcutters and a light load of Unique powder make it cheap and lots of fun to shoot, surprisingly accurate at 7 yards. I have the hollow base loaded backwards as a home defense load; it’s an old Police trick that helps the old and underpowered .38.
I have a 12 gauge pump with #4 shot as a back up.

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 07:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 85 300 TDT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 94Wagenmeister
Quote:
In my opinion, recoil is in the hand of the beholder, my first handgun was a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum. It kicks pretty good by some standards, but the grip works to mitigate some of the recoil by rolling up in the hand. Anyway, I guess the point was not so much the recoil of the autoloaders, because most aren't all that bad, even the 1911 (again in my opinion) but they do jump around a lot when that slide starts to fly back and forth... I find it's harder to re acquire the target with an auto then with a revolver.

I can agree with your assessment of the Beretta 92, it’s a decent, reliable firearm, but trouble free, not really… You may recall in the early military contracts they had some serious problems with cracked slides, there was even a company that manufactured a closed top slide to eliminate the stress risers that was thought to cause those slides to fracture. Yes, I know about the ammo problems, but the slides still were a failure problem, as were the frames.
Bringing this firearm home after WWII without capture papers was perhaps the only illegal thing my father ever did. I believe him when he said he took it from a dead officer. I've never seen a need to have another. It's big, loud, heavy, inaccurate as hell, but fast enough to get the job done. A classic!
Attached Images

post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 08:40 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
I prefer a 1911

I know that a lot of people like their Berettas, Sigs or Glocks. But for me, if it's going to be a 9mm, I'll go along with Jeff Cooper who said, "If one is going to carry an underpowered pistol he should carry the neatest and handiest one available, and that is the Heckler & Koch P7."

Drive as fast as you can...but no faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in