post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mac vs. Windows vulnerability stats

I was surprised to see the actual data after listening to all the Mac-o-phobs brag about their OS relative to the Windows OS. See for yourself: » Mac versus Windows vulnerability stats for 2007 | Zero Day | ZDNet.com

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 02:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I was surprised to see the actual data after listening to all the Mac-o-phobs brag about their OS relative to the Windows OS. See for yourself: » Mac versus Windows vulnerability stats for 2007 | Zero Day | ZDNet.com
True, true, true.

But since I've had Mac's (home) and PC's (work) I have had NO viruses by any definition (spyware, etc) of the term on my Macs and have numerous had viruses (spyware, etc) on my PC's. I am nearly certain it is because the Mac has been a niche machine from the beginning. At first because it's OS (before Apple bought Next Computers) was extremely difficult to program as compared to the PC. Also, there was a brazilian PC's out there for every lonely Mac. Also, people who get gratification from spreading diseases go where the population is greatest -- why waste time on something nobody would notice?

As Mac popularity increases (if it increases) then sick mofo malevolent bastards will start getting their rocks off targeting Macs.

But hey, I have a password protected router at home and protected logon id's for the computers and I practice safe computing - never slip a sexy little unprotected program or hardware into one of my virtuous, pristine computers. At work we have chastity belts on computers.

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thats what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The list of flaws in Mac OSX considers vulnerabilities also related to 3rd party software and also includes 'admittances', meaning, those problems Mac has owned up to and is going to fix. However, VISTA flaws are not including 3rd. party software vulnerabilities and their are certainly many more Microsoft isn't admiting to, so it looks a little lop sided. Another note to mention: Many Leopard users (OSX 10.5) installed their OS on top of the old one, resulting in huge problems instead of doing an archive and install. I fell into the same trap since earlier versions of OSX could be installed on top of their predecessors. If I had just checked first, I would have known that I couldn't do that. There are also several bugs in Mac Mail that I've had to deal with that are included on that list. They will be fixed and the next OS will be much cleaner.

Now, for the statement. I think Mac OSX Leopard is the buggiest OS Mac has ever introduced. It was rushed to market before these 'vulnerabilities' could be discovered in R&D. Vista, fortunately, didn't make the same mistake and Microsoft put off it's introduction 3 times before finally releasing it (If you will remember, OS X 10.4 came out and Vista was supposed to be on it's heels). But VISTA is, in general, a suck ass OS compared to Mac OS X. Our accounting office, at work, took back the Vista machine it purchased because it didn't play well with our printers and accounting software. They are back to XP and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Gloat all you want, but this little bump in the road will not stop the train. There is only one version of OS X. How many versions of Vista? 5? It is no surprise that nearly 1/3 of all lap top purchases this year were Macs and a whopping 12% of all computer purchases this year were Macs. 2 million Windows users switched to Mac last quarter and it's estimated that figure will be 1 1/2 times higher this quarter (3 million for those who can't do math). Also, it is estimated that 3 out of 10 new computer purchases this Christmas will be Macs.

Bottom line: Macs are gaining popularity and market share. Apples stock is at all time highs and Market share is gaining. 234 known vulnerabilities beats the over 10,000 XP had several years ago.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
True, true, true.

But since I've had Mac's (home) and PC's (work) I have had NO viruses by any definition (spyware, etc) of the term on my Macs and have numerous had viruses (spyware, etc) on my PC's. I am nearly certain it is because the Mac has been a niche machine from the beginning. At first because it's OS (before Apple bought Next Computers) was extremely difficult to program as compared to the PC. Also, there was a brazilian PC's out there for every lonely Mac. Also, people who get gratification from spreading diseases go where the population is greatest -- why waste time on something nobody would notice?

As Mac popularity increases (if it increases) then sick mofo malevolent bastards will start getting their rocks off targeting Macs.

But hey, I have a password protected router at home and protected logon id's for the computers and I practice safe computing - never slip a sexy little unprotected program or hardware into one of my virtuous, pristine computers. At work we have chastity belts on computers.

B
My graphic designer opened a 'malevolent' jpeg just 2 weeks ago. It installed a loop that continually loaded his mail, over and over again. It was also a simple fix. I dragged his com.apple.mail.plist onto the desktop, recreated his mailbox and imported his sent items back into his mail. Problem solved. Mail warned him not to open the file and he did anyway because it was from his wife. We determined it was a Mac mail specific 'Trojan Horse'. His wife hates Macs and I think she did it on damned purpose.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
True, true, true.

B
Over the past 20+ years I've had a couple dozen computers--home and office and all running Windows OSs--and have never once had a virus infect one of them. But I keep the recommended anti-viotics on them at all times, which is all anyone really has to do to remain "pure."

Besides the Mac being "a niche machine," and serving only a tiny fraction of the computing world (3.2% I believe), I have seen documentation that it has been Mac users/geeks that have created most of the virus problems infecting Windows programs.

Furthermore, I have never had a password protected router at home.

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
The list of flaws in Mac OSX considers vulnerabilities also related to 3rd party software and also includes 'admittances', meaning, those problems Mac has owned up to and is going to fix. However, VISTA flaws are not including 3rd. party software vulnerabilit ies and their are certainly many more Microsoft isn't admiting to, so it looks a little lop sided. Another note to mention: Many Leopard users (OSX 10.5) installed their OS on top of the old one, resulting in huge problems instead of doing an archive and install. I fell into the same trap since earlier versions of OSX could be installed on top of their predecessors. If I had just checked first, I would have known that I couldn't do that. There are also several bugs in Mac Mail that I've had to deal with that are included on that list. They will be fixed and the next OS will be much cleaner.

Now, for the statement. I think Mac OSX Leopard is the buggiest OS Mac has ever introduced. It was rushed to market before these 'vulnerabilities' could be discovered in R&D. Vista, fortunately, didn't make the same mistake and Microsoft put off it's introduction 3 times before finally releasing it (If you will remember, OS X 10.4 came out and Vista was supposed to be on it's heels). But VISTA is, in general, a suck ass OS compared to Mac OS X. Our accounting office, at work, took back the Vista machine it purchased because it didn't play well with our printers and accounting software. They are back to XP and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Gloat all you want, but this little bump in the road will not stop the train. There is only one version of OS X. How many versions of Vista? 5? It is no surprise that nearly 1/3 of all lap top purchases this year were Macs and a whopping 12% of all computer purchases this year were Macs. 2 million Windows users switched to Mac last quarter and it's estimated that figure will be 1 1/2 times higher this quarter (3 million for those who can't do math). Also, it is estimated that 3 out of 10 new computer purchases this Christmas will be Macs.

Bottom line: Macs are gaining popularity and market share. Apples stock is at all time highs and Market share is gaining. 234 known vulnerabilities beats the over 10,000 XP had several years ago.
Sorry but Windows vulnerabilities DID included 3rd-party software, which outnumbers 3rd-party Mac programs by 100-to-one. And the reason Appl stock is up is because of the iPod and the iPhone--NOT Mac or Mac-related hardware or software.

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 07:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Over the past 20+ years I've had a couple dozen computers--home and office and all running Windows OSs--and have never once had a virus infect one of them. But I keep the recommended anti-viotics on them at all times, which is all anyone really has to do to remain "pure."

Besides the Mac being "a niche machine," and serving only a tiny fraction of the computing world (3.2% I believe), I have seen documentation that it has been Mac users/geeks that have created most of the virus problems infecting Windows programs.

Furthermore, I have never had a password protected router at home.
Too bad you don't run all of the personal, corporate, and government computer systems. If you did there would be no problems.

Concerning Mac-o-philes torpedoing PC's -- that flies in the face of reality. Mac people are NOT NOT NOT computer knowledgeable in the sense of the average PC. Most Mac owners wouldn't have a clue what you were asking for, if you asked them to open a terminal screen. Ask most PC owners how to get to the C: and most will know.

Put the foil hat back on. Mac users are too ignorant of the innards to do anything effective.

Look to China and Russia and antisocial teen boys from Oregon and Utah. That's your malicious programming sources.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thats what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama

Last edited by Botnst; 12-20-2007 at 07:34 PM.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 07:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Jaybaugh fits the image of the PC character on the Mac commercials - with the taped on webcam and now the pissing and moaning about Mac sales. Yep, an out shape ugly dude, representing an out of date, pitiful operating system. Jim
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 08:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
Jaybaugh fits the image of the PC character on the Mac commercials - with the taped on webcam and now the pissing and moaning about Mac sales. Yep, an out shape ugly dude, representing an out of date, pitiful operating system. Jim

Well, what do we have here

Jim, you'd make a fine profiler at FBI.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/off-...ks#post2027867

P.S. I stand corrected re: my statement in that thread.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
I have run Windows exclusively since 2.03 and still have the original Windows 1.0 5.25" disks. I have run them on homebrew machines, PS/2 IBM boxes, Clones from Compaq [the old lunchbox portable 286] and Dell to the latest IBM, Sony and now a shiny new home brew Duelcore with 8GB Ram and 2TB of HDD that is running Vista [which loaded like a charm].

I seldom, if ever have problems, both because I have always used virus and spy ware but because I don't dick with the machine and don't wander up to everyone's freeware and shareware sites to save a few pennies. Amazing what happens when you use what is designed for the boxes.

I had a problem a couple of months ago. Turned out it was simply getting too hot in the tower. Once I cooled everything down performance went back to normal.

I have used Windows server software for very mission critical applications for well over a decade with minimal overhead [admin costs] and applications that I put in place as early as 99 are still running the same server software, same servers and same applications and same OS as the mission has not changed and the applications function, without fail.

I have yet to figure out how so many folks have so much problem with Windows. While it is not perfect, it certainly is much more stable than many give it credit for.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in