Teacher sued for exposing religious bigotry - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 03:49 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
^^^^Must be some obscure State law most are not aware of, I would think the lawyer has a leg to stand on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar XJR, 1994 E320(sold)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Can someone tell me which 'examples' are not true? Can someone be sued for speaking the truth while acting as a teacher? What are the cash damages, and how should these damages be compensated?

You are really not serious are you? I know your smarter than that question.

Lets look, even though these may be "out of context".

1.Jesus glasses, you can't see the truth? Maybe some of the zealots from any religion are bound to be blind, just as those who are certain of black helicopters and what not. But to lump all people into one hyperbole is wrong.

2. Im ok with that one.

3. Prove that religion is the one of the main causes of crime in our Nation. Can't do it. And prove that it is the only distinction that separates our crime levels from those of Sweden.

4. Giving medication without parental permission? No way. And deciding whats best for my child, no thanks. A parent decides that. Last time I looked, except for the virgin Mary, I have never seen a woman get pregnant due to abstinance.

5.Who is he to decide that all parents are irresponcible? Its not the schools objective or place to decide which girls should recieve birth control. Its there job to teach education. Sure sex ed is part of that, but they are not a pharmacy.

6.I dont know anyone from my chuch or in my community that believes that a woman needs to be pregnant barefoot and in the kitchen. Again maybe the zealots but not the moderates of any society. I have seen plenty of people who are not religous yet practice that "way" of life.

I'm glad that my son goes to private school. Not only is it a better education, but parents can still be parents.

My Car WOO HOO...... Now SOLD
New car.... 2001 Jaguar XJR!!!!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Sure he is there to teach concepts of religion. He is teaching Advanced Placement European History in which many of the historical events were driven by religious acts or movements. To ignore the catalysts of historical events that were driven by religious doctrine or in some cases religious bigotry would be to NOT be doing his job.

Before you can teach the macro concepts of the Spanish Inquisition you have to teach the micro concepts of simple religious exclusion.
I agree that religion has its place in history and needs to be taught. From the silliness of the crusades to modern day effects.

But to me and how these excerpts are taken seems inappropriate. But as we learn more we will know more.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
I get that you don't like what he said, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. My only objection in that light is his use of the word "Conservatives" in Point 6, rather than "Conservative extremists", which I assume is what he meant.

You need to take a step back and attain some objectivity. For example, can you explain where he is being dishonest in Point 3? Don't draw any conclusions or try to project -- just read the words, and point out the glaring inaccuracy.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
I get that you don't like what he said, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. My only objection in that light is his use of the word "Conservatives" in Point 6, rather than "Conservative extremists", which I assume is what he meant.

You need to take a step back and attain some objectivity. For example, can you explain where he is being dishonest in Point 3? Don't draw any conclusions or try to project -- just read the words, and point out the glaring inaccuracy.
And just because someone likes what he says doesn't make it true either.

Nothing is innacurate about point number 3. But how we see it in this lawsuit, it is of the "suggestive" nature of his statement, that religion is the source of our crime, which it is not.

Thomas Jefferson
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

So you concede that the statement is true, as I originally suggested. I'm no lawyer, but I don't believe "suggestive" will hold up in court. The statement is factual. Is you drew a conclusion based upon that statement, that is entirely on you.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBenz94 View Post
And just because someone likes what he says doesn't make it true either.

Nothing is innacurate about point number 3. But how we see it in this lawsuit, it is of the "suggestive" nature of his statement, that religion is the source of our crime, which it is not.
A professor does not have to teach anything that is true or false based on facts he only knows or doesn't. His job sometimes is to get the students to come up to their own conclusions but with a grasp of some fundamental understanding of whatever the concept that was being taught.
He could have easily thrown a hypothesis out there for the students to start fishing and I am willing to bet you that a student (or a bunch of them)
1. Did not want to do the work so complained and distorted what was being done in class
2. Someone was not mature enough to understand what was going on and felt threatened that the Prof was challenging his religion or believes.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Get outta the classroom and into the courtroom, prof, where true/false may indeed come into play.

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
A professor does not have to teach anything that is true or false based on facts he only knows or doesn't. His job sometimes is to get the students to come up to their own conclusions but with a grasp of some fundamental understanding of whatever the concept that was being taught.
He could have easily thrown a hypothesis out there for the students to start fishing and I am willing to bet you that a student (or a bunch of them)
1. Did not want to do the work so complained and distorted what was being done in class
2. Someone was not mature enough to understand what was going on and felt threatened that the Prof was challenging his religion or believes.

I agree, to make them think and come to their own conclusions is great!!

However we know all to well that often times a teacher does not do that.

Hopefully these were taken out of context.

Thomas Jefferson
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
So you concede that the statement is true, as I originally suggested. I'm no lawyer, but I don't believe "suggestive" will hold up in court. The statement is factual. Is you drew a conclusion based upon that statement, that is entirely on you.

Suggestive does often times hold up in court.

Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in