post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Earmarks? Check their Brand

While the wankers at the Heritage Foundation usually don't do much to interest me, they have a great little search engine attached to this year's Omnibus Spending Bill so you can track all the Earmarks, Pork projects and normal spending issues that wander through that meat grinder we call Congress.

You do have to wonder why they didn't have this same clever tool available when the Republicans were shoving Earmarks down everyone's throats [sans names] and Bushie was signing each and every Credit Card receipt...er, sorry, Omnibus Spending Bill as if Christmas came every day.

Here you go, check to see what YOUR Congressman got for you.

Omnibusting

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Transparency is nice, but it's only useful to those who bother to look, which probably includes about 1% of the voting population (if that). That is the problem Ron Paul must overcome, and in a hurry. While his message resonates well with most who take the time to understand it, he isn't doing anything to garner votes from those who don't really care, which again, is just about 99% of the voting population.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Transparency is nice, but it's only useful to those who bother to look, which probably includes about 1% of the voting population (if that). That is the problem Ron Paul must overcome, and in a hurry. While his message resonates well with most who take the time to understand it, he isn't doing anything to garner votes from those who don't really care, which again, is just about 99% of the voting population.
Part of that apathy is because many see "earmarks" as a necessary part of the government, not a bogie to shoot down. Paul has to make a clear distinction between the necessary spending issues that are part of large National Budgets and the favoritism issues that are tucked in to those bills. Then people might understand better. But the broad brush approach that akins all earmarks as bad is fruitless.

Look at Arizona. Without a tremendous number of earmarks over the years for Water and irrigation projects Phoenix and the surrounding area would not have grown nearly as much as it did. Earmarks made the Phoenix Skyport a Regional Hub thanks to Goldwater and McCain. That is not a bad thing, Water and transportation projects brought commerce and prosperity to an area that otherwise would not have grown nearly as quickly. Four Million people can't live on eight inches of rain a year without Federal help.

When Paul, or Libertarians can differentiate between those necessary projects that occupy much of the Omnibus Budget and the fluffernutter that folks stick in to payoff a political debt I think people will stand up and pay attention. Until that difference is shown, many folks don't "get it".

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
^ I don't think you got my point. I was not talking about Ron Paul's message about earmarks (does he even have one?), I was talking about Ron Paul's message. Most folks don't give a shit -- about anything that doesn't take money off their table right now this minute. If Phoenix needs federal money, than a bill should be offered up, rather than tucking it away in a defense package like a little sneak thief. The first approach is honest, the second is not. And since people don't care enough to vote based upon which earmarks are OK and which are not (and they won't), there is a simple solution -- eliminate them altogether, toward the end of demanding honest government.

And Goldwater, as much I agree with certain aspects of his politics, was a well-connected crook, with plenty of ties to folks he shouldn't have had ties to -- and you know it.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
^ I don't think you got my point. I was not talking about Ron Paul's message about earmarks (does he even have one?), I was talking about Ron Paul's message. Most folks don't give a shit -- about anything that doesn't take money off their table right now this minute. If Phoenix needs federal money, than a bill should be offered up, rather than tucking it away in a defense package like a little sneak thief. The first approach is honest, the second is not. And since people don't care enough to vote based upon which earmarks are OK and which are not (and they won't), there is a simple solution -- eliminate them altogether, toward the end of demanding honest government.

And Goldwater, as much I agree with certain aspects of his politics, was a well-connected crook, with plenty of ties to folks he shouldn't have had ties to -- and you know it.
I don't disagree at all. And I understood your point on Paul. I was simply pulling his position of excessive government spending and the earmark issue together [which are intrinsically tied together].

I know it would seem easier to make single bills out of every bit of spending but I can't imagine how much time and resources that would take. As I looked at the Omnibus Bill I noted that most spending is correctly associated with its appropriate category [Hospital improvements with HHS as example]. That seems like a fair way to deal with the majority of these issues.

I am not sure everyone in Congress needs to enter the debate on whether Bluegrass Army Depot needs to pay for the disposal of their VX by burning it, chemically neutralizing it or just leaking it out [the current method] and should the amount be $3M as approved by the Corp of Engineers and a gnome in Irvine. It seems if due diligence has been signed off by all the appropriate agencies that are responsible then putting it in the Omnibus Budget is the most expedient way to deal with it.

And yes, I agree with you on much of what Goldwater did. He was very good at his job and used that to his advantage. I met him at the 1967 World Jamboree in Idaho.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in