You Can Bank on an Improved Economy - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:28 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
here is a link but many more around if you do not like the IHT

Part of the story

SINGAPORE: Asian stocks fell Monday for the first time in four sessions after write-downs by UBS raised concern that losses from U.S. subprime investments would widen.

Bank of China and HSBC led banks lower after UBS said it would write down assets by $10 billion and sell stakes to raise capital. PetroChina and Inpex Holdings led a drop among oil shares after crude fell below $88 a barrel.

National Australia Bank and Matsushita Electric Industrial declined after a report showed that U.S. payrolls rose more than expected, prompting investors to lower bets that the Federal Reserve would cut interest rates by half a percentage point.

"Subprime concerns will continue to linger," said Jacky Choi, a fund manager at Value Partners in Hong Kong. "The question is how big the aggregate impact will be."

More than two stocks declined for each

the rest Stocks fall after massive UBS write-down - International Herald Tribune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:47 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
You missed UBS writing down 10 billion due to the sub-prime mess? They got the investment unit of the Singapore govt. to invest 9,7 billion USD and someone else to invest around 8 billion. The shitty end of the stick is that any dividends are paid in stock only no cash.
Actually I am not worried as long as they are doing this to strengthen control with better risk management policies. Today's drop in price as it stands of 3% is just a delayed reaction based on a hick up if you will.
I have a feeling that UBS will be fine in the long term but they really need to compensate by securing more clients for its wealth management program because that's an important signature service. Back to basics!
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
(Thread Starter)
I find it very interesting, even encouraging, to see how foreign governments and companies are willing to step in to deal w/ a problem they could easily ignore. This seems to be happening more and more, and it tends to stabilize economic problems and prevent them from hurting the overall global economy. V e r y i n t e r e s t i n g . . . . . .

Don't believe everything you think
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:51 AM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I find it very interesting, even encouraging, to see how foreign governments and companies are willing to step in to deal w/ a problem they could easily ignore. This seems to be happening more and more, and it tends to stabilize economic problems and prevent them from hurting the overall global economy. V e r y i n t e r e s t i n g . . . . . .
That's because we offer equity at a low price regardless of who we are. It's a free market
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:55 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Actually I am not worried as long as they are doing this to strengthen control with better risk management policies. Today's drop in price as it stands of 3% is just a delayed reaction based on a hick up if you will.
I have a feeling that UBS will be fine in the long term but they really need to compensate by securing more clients for its wealth management program because that's an important signature service. Back to basics!
Actually what I have been hearing is they are raping and pillaging the other high end banks and personal in the SIngapore banks as they are expanding there in a big way.
post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:57 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
They are basically getting a great deal, since when was the dollar this low against all other world currencies?

The best deal though was the CItibank deal with an invest of 7.5 billion they get an 11% return in cash each year, fan fucking tastic
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:57 AM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Actually what I have been hearing is they are raping and pillaging the other high end banks and personal in the SIngapore banks as they are expanding there in a big way.
linky
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
linky
Sorry, read it on the net a few weeks ago and heard it from my account manager in UOB just a couple of weeks ago when I was in Singapore
post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 10:07 AM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
They are basically getting a great deal, since when was the dollar this low against all other world currencies?

The best deal though was the CItibank deal with an invest of 7.5 billion they get an 11% return in cash each year, fan fucking tastic
Great news for the UAE and beats the Port Deal hands down. Maybe racisim pays after all let's see the uproar now!
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 10:31 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Great news for the UAE and beats the Port Deal hands down. Maybe racisim pays after all let's see the uproar now!
Shouldn't the UAE pay some kind of fee to the House and Senate for up holding the racist attitude and for saving them so much money, seems like it would only be fair...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in