post #51 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 10:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: My Two Left Feet
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
You make a good point. I've often thought that there should be some sort of national/international policy or law that prohibits any mention of the perps in these terroristic attacks on innocent people. I also know that it will never happen because of the new YouTube-world in which we live today. So hang on to your hats/heads folks because it is only going to get worse. A sad fact in the drive-by world...
There is ways to curb these televised acts even on youtube, just ask the Execs at Yahoo, or take notes from Bush on his dealings with privacy. The sad truth is there is no way to really stop people like this or monitor people like this.

There is a lot of mentally ill people out their of whom don't even know their mentally ill. We all have the power to take lives, but it is the mind state of reasoning that we don't. Loose that state of thinking and include depression and their you have it. Gun laws will not work and never worked, so we have to skip that resolution. If any body wants a gun they can get one.

We live in a time where we have to be skeptical every where we go, judging the man or women sitting next to us, looking over our shoulders at every clink, clank and bang. I think the media should focus more on how one can save them selves or better public training on what to do in the event you find your self in a situation like the one at the Mall, were that kid shot a lady right next to him, or the snipers in Taxes.

In my prospective it all falls under terrorism whether domestic or abroad. I also think that security should be beefed up, especially around the holidays because its this time where depression is at its strongest do to the way we as Americans say how holidays should be done.

I watched a commercial the other day and it basicly said if you don't shop at Walmart your not treating your love ones right. If your not buying things for your family your not right. We as Americans continue to pump this false way of living onto to a society in War, domestic financial ruin, and a very poor housing market.

If anything, there should be commercials on how to save money not spend it, and self motivating commercials on how not to feel bad around the holidays.

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
No. What disturbs me is that you're more disturbed about the armed security guard stopping the disturbance rather than being disturbed about the disturbed individual that caused the disturbance.
You should read ALL that I posted and what you quoted and you would see that not to be the case.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #53 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric242340 View Post
Maybe your right on the news bit, here 156 miners died in a gas explosion and this is a weekly thing, the mining industry is problematic to say the least. Every country has its problems, but America will not change its gun laws and until it does, expect more shootings.
Shootings and gun deaths are actually down a good bit since the 70s when they seemed to peak for several reasons [Viet Nam, race riots, union issues, rust belt economy, stagflation]. Now, if you factor out gang related deaths, the per capita gun violence is going down greatly. If you keep the gang deaths in, it is still down but not as much.

Much of the "gun violence" you see in the US is media driven, either by TV shows that seem to show thousands of shooting daily on TV Dramas to 24/7 Media which reports on everything as if it were a national event [we also are not a nation of high speed car chases but you could not tell that by watching Fox].

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #54 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1973 450 SL
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update: The shooter has been identified as the same guy in both shootings. He lived with his parents in a very upscale housing area in SE Denver metro. He was shot by a female guard, guys. And for those of you who think that churchgoers shouldn't have armed guards, just imagine how much money is in those collection plates when 7000 have just attended the service! BTW, the closest mega-church to this killer's house is a Methodist denomination; they are not all holy-rollers.
post #55 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
I struggle to conceptualize a mega-church full of agnostics
You've never been to a Bengals game, have you?

Half the people are screaming "there is no God!" by halftime.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #56 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomline1 View Post
Update: The shooter has been identified as the same guy in both shootings. He lived with his parents in a very upscale housing area in SE Denver metro. He was shot by a female guard, guys. And for those of you who think that churchgoers shouldn't have armed guards, just imagine how much money is in those collection plates when 7000 have just attended the service! BTW, the closest mega-church to this killer's house is a Methodist denomination; they are not all holy-rollers.
Apparently he did not chose to pick on his own Megachurch, choosing New Life instead.

So we have two upscale white kids living at home who have gone off on tangents and killed this past week with guns. This is not going to go over well with the "it must be terrorists" crowd.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #57 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Regarding my apparent Obscure Point, capital O, capital P. It was that a church would need armed guards in the first place. I am VERY glad the shooter was taken out HOWEVER it has always been one of the tenants of Fundamentalist and Evangelical churches that Christians put their faith in the Lord and HE will take care of them. HE will protect them and HE will watch over them.

Apparently someone at the New Life Church felt that HE was not watching well enough and needed help so THEY hired [or asked] armed guards to assist the Lord in watching over HIS flock. That seems to me to inject a big assed dose of doubt into the whole faith concept.

But then again I have asked several Evangelical Ministers if they have Property Insurance on their churches that cover "Acts of God". Strangely, all said yes.

Faith is a funny business.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #58 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 07:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
post #59 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
You've never been to a Bengals game, have you?

Half the people are screaming "there is no God!" by halftime.
Ah yes, but that's the atheist's mega-church. The agnostics would all be screaming variations on the theme of "show me...show me the money, mutherfucker!", completely out of sync and in a terrible cacophony of the shrugging of shoulders, and such--the cat herding nightmare, for sure.
post #60 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I smell a gaggle of Movie of the Week episodes--maybe even a mini-series, or her own chain of gun shops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in