post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
I don't know the answer to this and am too lazy to invest time to find out on the internet, but was George W. Bush talking about getting his daily guidance from God in public when he was the governor of Texas?

Anyway, these guys have brought their basic sincerity and integrity under suspicion by their associations with corrupt religious organizations run by dope using, gay bashing cock sucking and dirt shooting schizophrenics. Huckabee's association with a group of nuts that thinks because this animal raped a relative of Bill Clinton, who's father was a generous campaign contributor to Bill Clinton, it is not really a crime is an indication he has a whole side that has been in the deep darkness of a mental disorder. This makes Larry Craig and the bathroom Morse Code signal for gay sex in an airport public mensroom seem like a bad taste joke, at worst. Jim
As one who voted in the Bush Texas elections, yes, he indeed besotted himself with God. As to Huckster, my judgement of him is changing rapidly to disgust, but the whole story does not seem to be in yet :

Huckabee on Rapist and Murderer
By Kate Phillips
The New York Times

This is an episode in the career of former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee that probably will not go away soon. It has all the markings of tabloidian detail that can haunt a candidate, a lawmaker, an elected official, who walks and stalks the halls of criminal justice, who has, as he has said, weighed decisions on whether to impose capital punishment, and has ordered death.

But far more than whether Mr. Huckabee had been briefed on the inner-intel (or simply the public intel) of the newest intelligence report on Iran, the parole release of the convicted rapist Wayne DuMond, who went on to allegedly rape and murder others, will probably dog Mr. Huckabee throughout his campaign. It already is an issue and will be.

People liken this episode to that pumped by Lee Atwater, the late legendary Republican strategist, against Mike Dukakis, a la Willie Horton.

While Mr. Huckabee may enjoy his newfound popularity and rise in the polls, with that comes the inspection, the ultra-flyspecking of his days in Arkansas as governor. Forget taxes for a moment. Far more of a flashpoint for the ordinary citizen is the parole of Mr. DuMond, done under Mr. Huckabee’s governorship. No matter whether he personally recommended (or urged to the state’s parole board) the man’s release or not. If his candidacy moves upward bigtime nationally, you can bet someone will offer commercials that play on this particular criminal’s acts, far beyond Mr. Huckabee’s control, then and now.

The facts are this, as far as we can discern, from Arkansas papers and other sources:
Mr. DuMond was convicted in 1984 of raping Ashley Stevens, 17, another Forrest City resident and a distant cousin of former Gov. Bill Clinton. He was sentenced to life plus 20 years. In 1992, Lt. Gov. Jim Guy Tucker, a Democrat and acting governor, reduced Mr. DuMond’s sentence, making him eligible for parole.

There is some dispute about the closed session attended by Mr. Huckabee held with the Parole Board, but here’s a condensed account from the public record:

Mr. Huckabee became governor in 1996, and met with the Parole Board. It’s in dispute as to how much he discussed Mr. DuMond’s situation. The case had become a cause celebre among certain conservative activists. According to several accounts, Mr. Huckabee wrote to Mr. DuMond in January 1997: “My desire is that you be released from prison.” Well, Mr. DuMond was released in 1999 and he wound up in Missouri. Shortly thereafter, he was accused and later convicted of sexually assaulting and murdering Carol Sue Shields. He was also the primary suspect in the rape and murder of another woman. He died in prison in 2005.

Tonight, after accounts and new documents obtained by other reported victims (forgive that term) that were published at the Huffington Post by Murray Waas this week, and a CBS interview this morning with Lois Davidson, the mother of one of Mr. DuMond’s victims, CNN asked Mr. Huckabee about this long, long coattail of a criminal case that shadows his campaign:

"Wolf, my only official action in this was I denied his commutation. It was actually given by Jim Guy Tucker when Bill Clinton was governor back in 1992. It was on my desk. I did consider it. I even thought that he met the criteria for parole in support of it.
I wish I hadn’t. But I didn’t parole him. And governors don’t parole people in Arkansas, nor can they stop a parole. And that’s the tragedy, I think, that this went through several years and many different people.
And all of us failed. That’s the truth. All of us failed."

As for former parole board members coming forward now who say that Mr. Huckabee, as governor, persuaded them to release Mr. DuMond, the Republican candidate offered this tonight:

"That’s what is so heartbreaking about this. There are families who are truly, understandably and reasonably grief-stricken. And for people to now politicize these deaths and to try to make a political case out of it, rather than to simply understand that a system failed and that we ought to extend our grief and heartfelt sorrow to these families, I just regret that politics is reduced to that. "

We can guarantee you that this will not go away. Mr. Huckabee will be asked and asked about the DuMond case. As he has been. And should his campaign take hold nationally, you can bet scary commercials will be on the horizon. If not already in the can in someone’s darkroom

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 12-07-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: