post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Welcome Home Gilli....!

heh, heh......hopefully, much the wiser! heh, heh.........

Teacher speaks of Sudan 'ordeal'

Gillian Gibbons was met by her son John at the airport

News briefing

A British teacher jailed in Sudan for letting her class name a teddy bear Muhammad has spoken of her "ordeal", after returning to the UK.
Gillian Gibbons, 54, from Liverpool, had spent eight days in custody for insulting Islam before eventually being pardoned by President Omar al-Bashir.
Mrs Gibbons said she was in "total shock" but was "well treated in prison and everyone was very kind to me".
She also said prior to the row she had "only had a good experience" in Sudan.
Mrs Gibbons' son John and daughter Jessica met her at Heathrow Airport.
She arrived back to London via Dubai shortly after 0700 GMT, accompanied by British Muslim peers Baroness Warsi and Lord Ahmed, and is said to have slept for much of the journey.
'Fabulous time'
Mrs Gibbons, a mother-of-two, was arrested on 25 November and later given a 15-day sentence after allowing her pupils to hold a vote and choose the name Muhammad, the same name as the Islamic Prophet, for a teddy bear.
But, after a meeting with Baroness Warsi and Lord Ahmed, the press office of President al-Bashir announced that he had pardoned Mrs Gibbons and that she had been released after "mediation".
Mrs Gibbons said the incident had "all come as a huge shock to me" and that going to prison was "terrifying" although she never actually spent any time in the Omdurman women's jail.
She said: "I never imagined this would happen. I am just an ordinary primary school teacher.
"I am very sorry to leave Sudan. I had a fabulous time. It is a beautiful place and I had a chance to see some of the countryside.
"The Sudanese people I found to be extremely kind and generous and until this happened I only had a good experience."
"I wouldn't like to put anyone off going to Sudan.
"I would like to thank Lord Ahmed and Baroness Warsi and I would like to thank all the people who have worked so hard to secure my release and make my time more bearable."
Mrs Gibbons said she was treated the same as other Sudanese prisoners and that the Ministry of Interior sent her a bed, which was "the best present".
'Quite tense'
When asked if she was going to continue as a teacher, Mrs Gibbons said: "I'm looking for a job - I am jobless."
Lady Warsi, who helped negotiate a pardon for Mrs Gibbons, told BBC News 24 that some of the meetings she and Lord Ahmed had with Sudanese officials were "very, very difficult".
She said: "On Sunday we spent most of that day having very difficult meetings, some of them quite tense, some of them were very, very difficult.
"And then at the end of Sunday we were presented with some hope that we may be able to see the president on Monday and we may be able to reach a resolution.
"We had that meeting on Monday morning... and thankfully we secured a release."
The teacher's local MP, Louise Ellman, has welcomed Mrs Gibbons' return but said the jail sentence "should never have happened".
Mrs Gibbons was met at Heathrow by her children John and Jessica

"The original incident was something very innocent and then what should have been seen as a minor error - and certainly a very innocent one - suddenly became blown up into something extremely important and the whole thing has been very, very worrying and quite horrendous."
Downing Street said Prime Minister Gordon Brown had spoken to Mrs Gibbons upon her arrival in the UK.
He is said to be pleased that she had returned, wished her well and had also made clear to her that the government stood ready to provide whatever further assistance she may require.
Mrs Gibbons' son John, from Wavertree, Liverpool, earlier said his family had been "under a lot of pressure" but added that he was "very pleased" his mother was returning home. Jonah Fisher, former BBC Khartoum correspondent, said that the arrest of Mrs Gibbons must have seemed like an easy opportunity to give Sudan's former colonial masters a bloody nose. But in actuality, it appears to be Sudan's President al-Bashir who has been left with a red face, he added.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 06:49 AM
Membership withdrawn by request

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
I'm sure she is wiser to what a bunch of foaming at the mouth fools she had wasted her time trying to help, Didn't al-Bashir describe it as a storm in a tea cup? HOW dare he refer to the holy vessel of this nations national beverage in such a flippant manner , FLOG THAT MAN! .
Attached Images

Last edited by Von Vorschlag; 12-04-2007 at 06:53 AM.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
I asked this in the other thread, and no one seemed able to tackle it. Let's try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
Well, help me out here. Why is it OK for an American prize-fighter to take the name, but not to assign it to a child's cherished toy?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I asked this in the other thread, and no one seemed able to tackle it. Let's try again.
heh, heh......beats me! heh, heh.......appears there are a few 'Islamic Scholars' posting here quite regularly, perhaps they may wish to shed light on this issue which appears to be confusing GS? heh, heh.......
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Just a supposition. So, I'll try to help the Islamists out a little, here:
Could it be that a prize fighter signifies success and victory while a teddy bear is a lifeless toy, not dead, mind you, since dead would mean it 'used to live', but a lifeless toy where life never existed? Therefore, naming a teddy bear Muhammad would signify a non-existent character?? Yeah, that's it! Yeah.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:24 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
Just a supposition. So, I'll try to help the Islamists out a little, here:
Could it be that a prize fighter signifies success and victory while a teddy bear is a lifeless toy, not dead, mind you, since dead would mean it 'used to live', but a lifeless toy where life never existed? Therefore, naming a teddy bear Muhammad would signify a non-existent character?? Yeah, that's it! Yeah.

Think it has more to do with a living being rather than the way you live it, one of the most corrupt people I know here is named Muhammad but then my best friend here (until he died a couple of years ago was named Mohamad) and yes have seen about 4 different ways to spell the name in question
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Is it okay to name a museum....

Last edited by yoseyman; 01-01-2008 at 06:08 PM.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Vorschlag View Post
I'm sure she is wiser to what a bunch of foaming at the mouth fools she had wasted her time trying to help, Didn't al-Bashir describe it as a storm in a tea cup? HOW dare he refer to the holy vessel of this nations national beverage in such a flippant manner , FLOG THAT MAN! .
Some storm.

Some teacup.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
Think it has more to do with a living being rather than the way you live it, one of the most corrupt people I know here is named Muhammad but then my best friend here (until he died a couple of years ago was named Mohamad) and yes have seen about 4 different ways to spell the name in question
So then it's OK to name your dog Mohammad?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
So then it's OK to name your dog Mohammad?
heh, heh.....What is your view? heh, heh..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in