Hey Z, did you get a good blow......... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hey Z, did you get a good blow.........

from this?

Powerful Storm Batters Pacific Northwest

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Hurricane-force winds and heavy rain battered the Northwest for a second day Monday, killing at least two people and leaving entire communities dark and isolated as the storms blocked roads with trees, power lines, high water and mud.
Dozens of people stranded by flood waters required rescue as the second of two storms blew through, and Oregon transportation officials warned drivers not to attempt passage through the Coast Range.

"This storm is hitting the coast so hard, it's not leaving any road open," Transportation Department spokeswoman Christine Miles said.

The first wave of severe weather in the Northwest, which hit Sunday, was expected to reach the Upper Midwest with snow Tuesday, the National Weather Service said. That region had already been battered over the weekend by ice and snow before the storm blew into the Northeast on Monday.

The governors of Washington and Oregon declared states of emergency, which will allow for easier aid to stricken communities.

About 150 people were stranded at some point Monday across the region, said Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire. About half were rescued by Monday evening, many of them by boat, she said.

An estimated 30 to 40 people evacuated a flooded mobile home park near Astoria in northwestern Oregon, said Peter Williamson of the Red Cross.

Bremerton, Wash., reported 10.78 inches of rain in 24 hours, said Weather Service meteorologist Chris Burke.

Wind gusts of more than 100 mph were reported along the Oregon coast, with the highest reading at 129 mph at Bay City, the Weather Service said. Gusts hit 81 mph at Hoquiam, Wash., it said.

Mudslides halted north-south Amtrak passenger train service between Eugene, Ore., and Vancouver, British Columbia, and flooding forced the indefinite closure of Interstate 5, the main route between Seattle and Portland. To the east, snowslides temporarily closed major Cascade Mountain passes carrying traffic on Interstate 90 and U.S. 2.

Most major roads in southwestern Washington's Grays Harbor and Pacific counties were closed, and virtually all roads into the coastal city of Aberdeen were cut off, officials said.

"In 30 years of law enforcement, it's as bad as I've ever seen," said Grays Harbor County Sheriff Michael J. Whelan, whose own truck was smashed in his driveway by a falling tree.

Telephone and other communications were so were so tenuous that it was impossible to determine how many people were forced out of their homes, said Abby Kershaw of Oregon Emergency Management.

Pacific Power reported 40,000 homes without power in Oregon, and it could be days before electricity is fully restored, the utility said. Transmission poles 100 feet tall were toppled, and large sections of lines lay on the ground.

"The ground is saturated from intensive rainfall and trees are leaning into power lines and dropping to the ground," the utility said in a statement.

More than 80,000 people lost power in Washington, Gov. Chris Gregoire said.

The Weather Service issued flood warnings in Oregon for seven coastal rivers and two inland. The storms curtailed state government functions, as driver's license and employment offices in Columbia County filled with flood waters.

In southwestern Washington, one man died when a tree fell on him as he was trying to clear one that had been toppled, said Grays Harbor County Sheriff's Detective Ed McGowan. Another died of a medical problem after the power went out, he said.

The Chehalis River was expected to crest at nearly 75 feet Tuesday, which would put Interstate 5 under about five feet of water, said state Transportation Secretary Paula Hammond said.

"There's nothing. You can't get in or out," homeowner Yvonne Powers said in the southwest Washington town of Pe Ell, on the Chehalis.

In Olympia, the rain turned a small creek into a roiling, muddy surge that tore through a wall at the Ranch House BBQ. Tables and booths were strewn across the street, and a storage shed was pushed about 300 feet away.

Christy Romo, who lives just uphill from the restaurant, said she could hear the floodwaters coming and started packing before the first floor of her cabin was inundated.

"I knew I wouldn't have much time," Romo said. "I heard a bang, and then saw the water rising quickly."

The high winds snapped a 206-foot Sitka spruce that had shared honors with one in Washington for the nation's largest. It had attracted 100,000 visitors a year.

People in the Midwest began bracing for the Northwest systems to move their way even as they dug out from a storm that hampered travel over the weekend. That system moved into the Northeast on Monday and has been blamed for more than 15 deaths, mostly in traffic accidents.

A weather-related pileup on New Jersey's route 3 killed two people, including Jennifer Alexander, a dancer for the American Ballet Theater, officials said.

School was canceled or classes delayed from New York to Maine as highways turned slippery and wind gusted to 40 mph. Ice storm warnings were issued for Massachusetts and Connecticut, and winter storm warnings were in effect in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and northern and western New York.

Still, the winter weather spelled success for ski areas in New England that suffered through an abysmal winter last year. In Vermont, 7 inches of snow welcomed skiers and snowboarders Monday morning.

"It's not snow. It's white gold," said Christopher Francis, innkeeper at Ye Olde England Inne, a 30-room establishment in the shadow of Stowe Mountain Resort.

Powerful Storm Batters Pacific Northwest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 07:24 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Yes...
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Membership withdrawn by request

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
cool
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Cruise Control

Lifetime Premium Member
Here's a shot of what is/was one of the busiest intersections in West Olympia--yes, those are submerged cars in the middle of the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooper_Point_1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	152432  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
^^^Holy Shit Z, hope you and your's are ok.......
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Cruise Control

Lifetime Premium Member
I have a fine looking young lady staying with me indefinitely, 'cause she can't get back to her place South of here. I-5 is totally fucked, and looks to remain that way...indefinitely. My old farm down that way, could very well have completely washed away by now. It's a mess.

OLYMPIA – Flooding on I-5 in Chehalis has forced WSDOT to close the freeway to all traffic and forecasted high winds have floating bridge crews on high alert.

I-5 will be closed from exit 88 near Grand Mound (approximately 20 miles south of Olympia) to exit 68 (11 miles south of Chehalis) due to flooding. The freeway will remain closed for at least 36 hours and likely longer while crews wait for the Chehalis River (at milepost 77-79) and Dillenbaugh Creek (at milepost 74) to recede. This is the first complete freeway closure due to flooding in this area since 1996.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Z, you know this is the work of Neo-Fascist

Seriously I hope you are doing okay.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoseyman View Post
Z, you know this is the work of Neo-Fascist

FTL will give us a full update on these developments once all the faux are in regarding this storm and how Cheney steered the storm and Bush and made another fortune off of it.......DEVELOPING.......
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Cruise Control

Lifetime Premium Member
I'm pretty sure that's an impeachable offense...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:17 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Zeitgust

"I have a fine looking young lady staying with me indefinitely, 'cause she can't get back to her place South of here. I-5 is totally fucked, and looks to remain that way...indefinitely".

That's certainly a worthy middle-aged update to the old 'Oh deary me, we've run out of gas- we'll have to stay here all night' routine. Kudos for the organisation required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in