Woh, I heard bad things about UK health care from the guys here but DAMN..... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Woh, I heard bad things about UK health care from the guys here but DAMN.....

A surgery meant to reverse a colostomy on a Dover man went horribly wrong last year, resulting in fecal mater being discharged from his penis and urine passing through his colon, according to a lawsuit filed in Superior Court.

During the procedure, the suit alleges doctors at Kent General Hospital improperly stapled the colon to the bladder instead of the rectal stump. This left the patient with diarrhea, as well as gas and liquid stool passing from his penis.

The man was taken to Christiana Hospital 12 days later to have the procedure corrected, but not until after much suffering and embarrassment as well as "disfigurement and disability," the suit claims.

It also affected life at home with his wife, who also is suing the three doctors involved in the allegedly botched procedure, Surgical Associates P.A. and Bayhealth Medical Center Inc.

The Dover couple is asking for unspecified damages, as well as costs and interest.

Sex Life was presumably both interesting and messy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:26 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Lifetime Premium Member
#1 is now #2 and #2 is now #1. No biggie.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
Yeah it affected ther sex life, bet she did swallow after that little procedure........
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:30 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
"Woh, I heard bad things about UK health care from the guys here but DAMN....."

Reading and comprehension proving difficult for you again is it? Source?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
Here you go guys found an even bettter story on this UK health care

A surgery meant to reverse a colostomy on a Dover man went horribly wrong last year, resulting in fecal mater being discharged from his penis and urine passing through his colon, according to a lawsuit filed in Superior Court.

During the procedure, the suit alleges doctors at Kent General Hospital improperly stapled the colon to the bladder instead of the rectal stump. This left the patient with diarrhea, as well as gas and liquid stool passing from his penis.

The man was taken to Christiana Hospital 12 days later to have the procedure corrected, but not until after much suffering and embarrassment as well as "disfigurement and disability," the suit claims. It also affected life at home with his wife, who also is suing the three doctors involved in the allegedly botched procedure, Surgical Associates P.A. and Bayhealth Medical Center Inc.

Bayhealth Medical and Surgical Associates, where the three doctors practice, declined to comment.

Dr. Scott D. Goldstein, director of colon and rectal surgery at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, said he had not seen the suit and is not familiar with the specific case. He said this type of surgical error has been documented before, "but it should be rare as hen's teeth."

Goldstein said colostomy removals can be difficult and tedious procedures in which the bladder can get in the way. Adding to the difficulty, Goldstein said, are anatomical changes caused by the initial surgery.

"These structures are very close to one another," Goldstein said. "But it shouldn't happen. I can't say more than that."

In a colostomy, part of the colon is brought to the surface of the abdominal wall, leaving the patient with an opening called a stoma. After a colostomy, feces leave the body through the opening and are collected in a bag attached to the person's abdomen.

Not all colostomies are permanent. A temporary colostomy is used when part of the colon needs to heal, usually after surgery or trauma. Once the colon heals, the colostomy is reversed by reconnecting the two ends of the colon. This should return bowel function to normal.

But that's not what happened to the Dover man.

According to the lawsuit, he was admitted to Kent General Hospital on Oct. 19, 2005, complaining of abdominal pain. A few days later, one of the doctors named in the suit performed exploratory surgery and drained a suspected abdominal abscess.

But the patient continued to have pain and returned to the hospital a week after being discharged from the first surgery. Doctors performed a CT scan and diagnosed him with a condition that required a temporary colostomy.

The man returned three months later to have the colostomy reversed, a procedure that was performed by the other two doctors named in the suit and a physician assistant, according to the suit.

This is where the mistake occurred, the suit alleges.

"As a consequence of the error," the suit claims, "fecal matter and urine were mixed and diverted so that fecal matter entered the bladder and was discharged through the urethra and urine was discharged through the colon."

The man was admitted to Christiana Hospital nearly two weeks later, where doctors performed a temporary fix to allow the inflammation to go down. He returned to Christiana Hospital July 28, 2006, and Dec. 11, so that the problems could be permanently fixed.

He continues to suffer weakness, as well as injuries because of the multiple surgeries, according to the suit.

The Dover couple is asking for unspecified damages, as well as costs and interest.

delawareonline ¦ The News Journal, Wilmington, Del. ¦ Colostomy reversal botched, suit says
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:49 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
Here you go guys found an even bettter story on this US health care

delawareonline ¦ The News Journal, Wilmington, Del. ¦ Colostomy reversal botched, suit says

Trouble with reading or geography? Wanker.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:56 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
How much money you got is how much care you typically receive. Sad.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 10:16 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle View Post
"Woh, I heard bad things about UK health care from the guys here but DAMN....."

Reading and comprehension proving difficult for you again is it? Source?
yeah its common practice here in states .for example i took my car for oil change at firestone (Preston rd/summerside) after 45 minutes they came back and told me that didn't stock the filter to my car .btw at this point they had drained the oil and removed the filter.
2nd occasion took my car for oil change to cnederala oil change. They came and ask me if they car has an oil filter and if so where is it.
My aunt had gone to the doctor for some surgery and the lady who was preparing her for surgery marked the wrong side. God for her she was awake and told that its the other knee which has the problem.

saudi is in some cases is even more bad.
my father lost his car when this yemmini took out the oil and forgot to put new oil back.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
^^^^Heh Heh Whoa seems the fish are biting today, they are practically jumping in the boat, got a couple of big mouth bass hooked and reeling them in slow.........
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 04:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
^^^^Heh Heh Whoa seems the fish are biting today, they are practically jumping in the boat, got a couple of big mouth bass hooked and reeling them in slow.........
heh, heh......Good catch! heh, heh.......are we looking at grilled, fried or steam! heh, heh.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in