Leno fires most staff.....Last day for laid-off 'Leno' workers - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Leno fires most staff.....Last day for laid-off 'Leno' workers

Last day for laid-off 'Leno' workers

120 staffers leave with Christmas bonuses

Today was the last day for most of the 120 staffers on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," who left with an early Christmas bonus check and no guarantee of a job when the strike ended.
"Do we have a job when the strike ends? That's what everyone keeps asking," one former staffer said. "They've guaranteed no one a job. They just keep saying, 'The letter explains it."

That letter is a notice from NBC's human resources department that says, "If your services are needed, we will contact you."

Sources said that while some higher-level executives received severance packages, other staffers received only Leno's traditional bonus of $100 times the number of years the staffer has been on the show.

Writers were not included in the bonuses, but one writer emphasized that "he's not being Scrooge. He just wanted to get the staff taken care of first. I can't emphasize enough how generous Jay is."

Others were less forgiving.

"We haven't heard from him since the second or third day of the strike," the former staffer said. "He called on speakerphone while we were in our daily meeting and said, 'Don't look for other jobs , no one's going to lose their house, we'll get though this.' Two weeks ago, we got the heads up that we had two more weeks (of pay) and that's it. Everyone wondered, 'Is Jay going to come through?' And nothing happened. Conan makes less and he said, 'I'm going to pay for my people.' "

Still on the payroll are the exec producers and a skeleton crew to answer phones. Leno was not on hand for the layoffs. Instead, Leno's assistant notified the staff yesterday that they would get their Christmas bonus early. Leno's bonuses usually go out the week before Christmas.

"People are devastated today because we thought that he meant something more than an early Christmas bonus," another said. "A lot of people didn't look for other work, based on Jay's assurances."

Last day for laid-off 'Leno' workers - Entertainment News, TV News, Media - Variety
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:08 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Lifetime Premium Member
I don't watch the show but I check out all his car videos and from what I can tell, he seems like a very normal stand up guy.
He's in a tough position between upper management and the crew and by all right's does not owe them an explanation at all really.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Screw these guys. If they don't want to work, they shouldn't expect to have a job when they decide to change their mind. Boo, hoo, effin hoo -- poor $200K/year writers can't make ends meet.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
^^^^Not really taking about wirters here talking about the 120 staff he laid off at his production company.

TK, I felt the same way but read what I posted, if you tell someone they are not going to loose their job, they do not go out and look for one, and then get laid off seems like he opened himself up for a lawsuit in the long run.....
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
VVVVV
Attached Images

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
^^^^Not really taking about wirters here talking about the 120 staff he laid off at his production company.

TK, I felt the same way but read what I posted, if you tell someone they are not going to loose their job, they do not go out and look for one, and then get laid off seems like he opened himself up for a lawsuit in the long run.....
But production of the show came to a screaming halt because of the writers. The writers should pay these other guys, it would only be fair.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:24 PM
worst mod in BW history

Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post

Again, he does not seem like the Hollywood type. I'm sure he was very uncomfortable in his position and ultimately the decision is not his anyway.
I've been in very similar positions with new owners wanting to clean the house of my people that had been with me for years. At some point these people have to take their own initiative. One thing for sure, unions suck for everybody but the leaders who usually exploit their position.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
^^^^Let's see wht he does when the 1st lawsuit is filed by the non-rehires......

Don't get me wrong, wife and I catch his show when we can, we like it. CNBC airs 2 out of 5 his shows each week on the weekend but my feeling has always been a man's word and his handshake means alot more than a signed contract any day, he gave his word, but to some here a man's word does not mean much.........
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
VVVVV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leno2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	151924  

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
^^^^Notice to anyone doing business with Cmitch, get it in writing preferably with a thumbprint in his own blood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in