post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ex-Bush Spokesman’s Tantalizing Snippet on C.I.A. Leak

Scott McClellan, the former White House press secretary, denied in September 2003 that Karl Rove had revealed the identity of a C.I.A. agent. (Photo: Ron Edmonds/Associated Press)

The hints of intrigue and betrayal at the trial of I. Lewis Libby Jr. over the leaking of a C.I.A. agent’s identity grew even more intriguing today as a snippet made the rounds from the forthcoming memoir by Scott McClellan, who was President Bush’s chief spokesperson in 2006.

In the 121 words released by the book’s publisher, PublicAffairs, Mr. McClellan appears to hold President Bush partially responsible for statements to the White House press corps in 2003 that later proved to be inaccurate — that Karl Rove, senior counselor to the president, and Mr. Libby, vice president’s chief of staff, never leaked the identity of the agent, Valerie Plame (emphasis added):
The most powerful leader in the world had called upon me to speak on his behalf and help restore credibility he lost amid the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. So I stood at the White house briefing room podium in front of the glare of the klieg lights for the better part of two weeks and publicly exonerated two of the senior-most aides in the White House: Karl Rove and Scooter Libby.

There was one problem. It was not true.

I had unknowingly passed along false information. And five of the highest ranking officials in the administration were involved in my doing so: Rove, Libby, the Vice President, the President’s chief of staff, and the President himself.
How exactly was the president involved? Did he take part in a cover-up? Will the next few sentences in the book explain the role of each official? Well, until more of the 400-page book is released, we are left with only a tantalizing bit of fodder for close watchers of the C.I.A.-leak story line to chew on.

If Mr. McClellan is the first senior administration official to implicate President Bush in the scandal, we’ll definitely know by April 2008, when the memoir is due to hit store shelves. But something tells The Lede that this won’t be the last little taste of the book that the publisher will, um, leak to the press.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 03:21 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Yeah now he tells us, riiiiight

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 05:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Let the SPIN CYCLE begin.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
It's gonna run outta gas, book doesn't come out until next April.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
"Under conspiracy statutes, individuals can be charged with conspiring to defraud the government if there is an agreement between two or more individuals to obstruct the law, if there is an overt act to further that agreement and there was intent involved.

Such agreements often are referred to as "Klein" conspiracies, based on a 1957 case that involved manipulating funds to conceal the true nature of a financial transaction from the IRS."

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 07:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
"Under conspiracy statutes, individuals can be charged with conspiring to defraud the government if there is an agreement between two or more individuals to obstruct the law, if there is an overt act to further that agreement and there was intent involved.

Such agreements often are referred to as "Klein" conspiracies, based on a 1957 case that involved manipulating funds to conceal the true nature of a financial transaction from the IRS."
But let me guess, if one of the two co-conspirators is the boss [the Decider] and the other a subordinate [Scottie] would it be an "agreement" or would it be an order and therefore avoid the ol conspiracy conundrum.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 08:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Scott McCellan was always dumber than a box of hammers. I would think Mr. Waxman and his subpeonas may take an interest in this.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
But let me guess, if one of the two co-conspirators is the boss [the Decider] and the other a subordinate [Scottie] would it be an "agreement" or would it be an order and therefore avoid the ol conspiracy conundrum.
We have "Rove, Libby, the Vice President, the President’s chief of staff, and the President himself" on the table. Take your prick, I mean pick.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in