Pioneering 'heat wave' gun may be used in Iraq - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Pioneering 'heat wave' gun may be used in Iraq

American commanders in Iraq are urging Pentagon chiefs to authorise the deployment of newly-developed heat wave guns to disperse angry crowds or violent rioters.

But the plea for what senior army officers believe could prove a valuable alternative to traditional firepower in dangerous trouble-spots has so far gone unanswered.

Washington fears a barrage of adverse publicity in the suspicious Muslim world and is concerned that critics will claim the invisible beam weapons were being used for torture.

Now the US military directorate charged with developing non-lethal weapons, which has invested more than a decade developing the Active Denial System (ADS), has launched a concerted effort to convince both the public and its own bosses at the defence department of the device's merits.

"With brand new technology like this, perception is everything," said Col Kirk Hymes, a former Marine artillery officer who heads the directorate.

He added that tests were almost complete and the first ADS, also known as the Silent Guardian, could be deployed early next year if the Pentagon allows. The decision is so sensitive that it is expected to be made personally by the defence secretary, Robert Gates, who sent senior representatives to the demonstrations.

Raytheon, the company contracted to manufacture the prototype, has also received interest from several undisclosed European countries. The machine displayed last week cost about $10 million to build, but the directorate believes that the ADS can be put into production for $2-$5 million (£1-2.5 million) per device.

Col Hymes told observers at a demonstration that the system was a safe and effective alternative to plastic bullets, which can cause injury and sometimes death and are effective only up to 75 metres.

The heatwave weapon can, by contrast, target troublemakers from 750 metres. It works by dispatching high-powered radio waves from a vehicle antenna, similar to a satellite television dish, causing the molecules in a target's skin to vibrate violently, creating a burning sensation.

"We are pretty good at shouting and intimidating people and we have been perfecting the art of lethal warfare since Cain and Abel," he said. "But in places like Iraq we are re-learning that we need a response in the spectrum between shouting and shooting. The ADS provides this."

But he added: "This is not something we want to roll out and deploy and surprise people. We know we need to educate the public."

In fact the development of the weapon only became public after the Sunshine Project - a Texas-based group that campaigns against biological and chemical weapons - pushed for disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.

The group's director, Edward Hammond, said: "If we are not prepared to use it as a crowd control technique on our own citizens, then we really shouldn't be using it in Iraq either."

Marc Garlasco, a former Pentagon intelligence officer who is senior military analyst for the Human Rights Watch campaign group, was among those invited to feel the device's impact at a recent demonstration.

He said: "If I had the option of being shot by a bullet or this, I would choose this - but still not enough is known about it. This is novel technology. We're talking about bringing science fiction into reality and it's critical to have open discussion."

He added: "People understand what happens when you get shot with a gun, but with the "pain-ray" there's still uncertainty. When it's used, the military is going to have to deal with a public backlash because I'm sure there will be claims of medical problems by the people it's been used upon, real or not."

"We are talking about young soldiers having this in their hands. If we upset the civilian population in Iraq, whether by killing, by torture or by misusing this, it will have a strategic effect on the US's ability to execute effective operations."

Col Hymes said that all ADS operators were given a six-week training course that covered sophisticated crowd control techniques as well as handling the technology.

The Article, Pictures and several other links regarding this technology at this link:
Pioneering 'heat wave' gun may be used in Iraq - Telegraph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post

In fact the development of the weapon only became public after the Sunshine Project - a Texas-based group that campaigns against biological and chemical weapons - pushed for disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.

The group's director, Edward Hammond, said: "If we are not prepared to use it as a crowd control technique on our own citizens, then we really shouldn't be using it in Iraq either."

The Article, Pictures and several other links regarding this technology at this link:
Pioneering 'heat wave' gun may be used in Iraq - Telegraph
We should not have used atomic weapons to end WWII until they had been used on one or two of our own cities, first.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
We should not have used atomic weapons to end WWII until they had been used on one or two of our own cities, first.
You are right, think I will write to my congressman and suggest Baltimore to be a trial city for this new technolgy........
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 08:30 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Fried Iraqis... hmmm that's going to win some hearts an minds
Life is cheap!

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Fried Iraqis... hmmm that's going to win some hearts an minds
Life is cheap!
In my letter I could recommend your neighborhood to keep the crime rate down...which area did you say you lived in.........
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
You are right, think I will write to my congressman and suggest Baltimore to be a trial city for this new technolgy........
Better get right on that. That old technology seems to be working as well as it ever did.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 08:49 AM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
In my letter I could recommend your neighborhood to keep the crime rate down...which area did you say you lived in.........
My neighbor one house down is from Jakarta and last night we all had an early Thanksgiving dinner together. I guess if an Indonesian princess is willing to move next door, it ain't so bad of a neighborhood.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
^^^^Those Indonesian prnicesses are a dime a dozen, my American lawyer here (who has the right (which is rare for an expat) to argue in front of Indonesian judges and has lectured the Indonesian supreme court) is married to one as well as a couple of other freinds of mine. We have a lot of princesses here, Indonesians love to fuck.......
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow View Post
Better get right on that. That old technology seems to be working as well as it ever did.

Yeah baby Krakatoa is nothing compared to the Moma of the 1800's, don't let it scare you away and cancel your travel plans coming here........
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 09:12 AM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
^^^^Those Indonesian prnicesses are a dime a dozen, my American lawyer here (who has the right (which is rare for an expat) to argue in front of Indonesian judges and has lectured the Indonesian supreme court) is married to one as well as a couple of other freinds of mine. We have a lot of princesses here, Indonesians love to fuck.......
That's good to know but I think I am too late; I gave her some courtesy tickets for my show

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in