Olds Toronado - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 11:05 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Toros are good buys and not really in hot demand. Maybe they will be later, as the first gen Rivs are starting to finally be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Get it! I bought a new '68 Toronado (tan/beige) when I was in graduate school and I loved it. At the time it was not only elegant, it was fast and very powerful. Mine had a 440 cubic inch engine--I think 400 hp--and it cruised all day long at 100+ mph. As I recall it weight close to 5k lbs. and even on the steepest, icy hills, it was like a tank. I recall going up a very steep and icy hill, pulling a U-Haul trailer and never broke traction. I had to actually weave in and out of other cars that were sliding down the hill and sideways in front of me. People looked at me like WTF! How's he doing that?

I can't recall what I paid, but I think it was like $4,800?? I sold it in 1970 for about $3,500, I think. Then I bought a new 280SL, which was also an incredible car though very different, obviously. I paid about $8,500 and sold it ten years later for $16,500!

I don't think you will be disappointed w/ the Toro. I bought it because my favorite TV detective (Manix) drove one and it looked sooo cool.

I found one on eBay: eBay Motors: Oldsmobile : Toronado (item 280174105551 end time Dec-06-07 13:58:05 PST)
That's good information and thanks for the link too!

From what I have read so far, they had either the 425 or 455 cu engine, making 385/375 HP.

Despite Shane's wisdom on the colours, I like the green/green combo and the fact that it does not have one of those vile vinyl roofs is a real plus point. It certainly doesn't look like it's been fiddled so I think the 49xxx miles in gen, which makes it quite a reasonable price I guess. I'm a bit busy today but I will try to take a test drive tomorrow and also some photos.
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 11:52 AM
~BANNED~

^Well I have one greeen car too, the '69 fleetwood. I stole the poor thing and it was the best original condition fleetwood of that era I have ever seen to date. If the original paint wasn't so nice it would have already gone black.
post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 12:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle View Post
That's good information and thanks for the link too!

From what I have read so far, they had either the 425 or 455 cu engine, making 385/375 HP.

Despite Shane's wisdom on the colours, I like the green/green combo and the fact that it does not have one of those vile vinyl roofs is a real plus point. It certainly doesn't look like it's been fiddled so I think the 49xxx miles in gen, which makes it quite a reasonable price I guess. I'm a bit busy today but I will try to take a test drive tomorrow and also some photos.
Be sure to double-check the mileage: It could be 149,xxx... If the odometer rolled over once.

Don't believe everything you think
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:28 PM
It Is What It Is, Dude

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1978 107.024 RIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
DR, As a sophomore in high school I took my license exam in a '70. It was a Toronado GT, with the 455cid W30 package good for 400HP and gobs of torque. The transmission is essentially a modified TH400. The tailhousing is adapted for the FWD drive gear set, but the internals are all Turbo 400, one of the strongest automatics GM ever built. The GT was, and some of the others may have also been, a limited slip type posi-trac axle. It could, and quite often did, dual front wheel burnouts the full length of the school front. The handling at speed was amazing, and on the winding roads of the foothills east of our town I could easily out handle and drive away from 'Cudas, Mustangs, etc. I've got a high school career's worth of 'Toro Tales of Speed and Debauchery'.

1970 Oldsmobile Toronado GT - For Sale

Last edited by isthisdave; 11-19-2007 at 08:16 PM.
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:42 PM
~BANNED~

HERE IS AN OLDSMOBILE THAT IS AT A LOW AND MOST LIKELY A GENUINE RISING STAR...

eBay Motors: Oldsmobile : Cutlass (item 150185052516 end time Nov-28-07 19:10:47 PST)

Considering you brag about never washing your cars, this poor paint, low mile, non rust belt Hurst ought to do the trick. This is a car you cannot lose money on. Drive it 1k miles or less a year and garage it. That is all you have to do. If you need help shipping I have some contacts as many of my collector cadillacs have gone to europe. It gets decent mileage and is a nice medium size. Collectors are scooping them up.
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:47 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Dog-dick Red interior. Wow!

post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:55 PM
~BANNED~

A toronado year that is an unabashed classic, but not the first year ('66) but a carry over year. This is better for refinement and durability but worse since the dead headed (and majority very sadly) collectors always want first and last years of any desirable body style. The buy it now is ridiculous and the seller has a mixed reputation at best, but this is the year and one of the color combos that sets the difference between the winner and an also ran. This one looks really good in photos (+2) but I would view it in person given the seller. This is NOT a driver. Just a very few hundred miles a year on beautiful days only, and not amid any type of congested traffic. Someone has spent a considerable amount of time, money, and effort not to have it all wasted by someone who just doesn't appreciate cars at the level this one has been saved and brought back to.

eBay Motors: Oldsmobile : Toronado (item 300172943029 end time Nov-26-07 14:42:37 PST)
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:55 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill View Post
Dog-dick Red interior. Wow!

^ignorant
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:57 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I can't believe this junk is coming back.
I should have kept my 1980's K car coupe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in