post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: My Two Left Feet
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question About Painting My Car

I am going to fix my car in Feb. I am buying all or most of the parts in December. All new and am getting what I guess would be a deal. Since both fenders, hood, all front end moldings, front bumper, back bumper and driver side door needs painting would it be cheaper for me to:

A: Get the entire car repainted same color: Opal Black / Metallic Black

B: Get the entire car repainted: Glossy Black

Over 50% of the car needs painting anyway so I figured why not just have the whole thing repainted.

Opal Black is an expensive color mix. If I'm not mistaken its almost $350 a pint, at least that's what a body shop guy told me when he saw the color and told me what they would have to do to get an exact color mixture. I figured well if this is so maybe repainting the car Jet Black, full gloss would be cheaper to mix. Any thoughts?

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybydesignw210 View Post
Any thoughts?
Stay with your original colour. Your car will scream "repaint" every time you open a door or the trunk or the hood and you see the original colour in the door jam or on the underside of the trunk/hood. Not only that, but it will also be easier to colour match in the future. If you ever got dinged in the parking lot or got into another accident (and I hope you don't), when the car goes to the body shop they'll just look at the colour code on the door and mix paint to match. When they spray your car, it wont match properly
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlomon View Post
Stay with your original colour. Your car will scream "repaint" every time you open a door or the trunk or the hood and you see the original colour in the door jam or on the underside of the trunk/hood. Not only that, but it will also be easier to colour match in the future. If you ever got dinged in the parking lot or got into another accident (and I hope you don't), when the car goes to the body shop they'll just look at the colour code on the door and mix paint to match. When they spray your car, it wont match properly
Thanks you, the parts I'm buying are coming primed, but are you saying they will just spray over the original paint when I request to just paint the entire car? I thought they would sand the old paint off.

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Do not change the color. Your resale will be even lower if you do. Can you just ditch the car and get another one? Wrecked and rebuilt cars are worth nothing on the used market since nothing is ever put back right. Your asshole bodyshop guy if feeding you a line regarding the paint price. My suggestion is if you have to keep the car repair onyl what is needed and sell it individually ASAP before everything repaired breaks.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Do not change the color. Your resale will be even lower if you do. Can you just ditch the car and get another one? Wrecked and rebuilt cars are worth nothing on the used market since nothing is ever put back right. Your asshole bodyshop guy if feeding you a line regarding the paint price. My suggestion is if you have to keep the car repair onyl what is needed and sell it individually ASAP before everything repaired breaks.
Thanks Shane, I was actually hoping you would chime in cause you know a lot about cars. Unfortunately I have to keep the car, the insurance company denied me because of a technicality of which they are proposed to be right on. It is still under investigation on how they ended up changing my billings due date even after I made a payment over the phone. I'm waiting for all my records to be mailed to me from them.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybydesignw210 View Post
Thanks you, the parts I'm buying are coming primed, but are you saying they will just spray over the original paint when I request to just paint the entire car? I thought they would sand the old paint off.
They remove any paint on exterior surfaces, but might not paint things like the inside of the trunk and the door jams, the places that are "hidden" when the doors are closed. Most shops are going to charge you extra for that work because there is a lot more labour involved. I would expect that extra labour to more than offset any savings in paint cost.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Cool thanks for the help guys

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 02:09 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Why not paint the car yourself? Get some cans from Pep Boys and have at it. I did that and got better results than a pro would have done and let's not talk about the $$ he would have charged me.
I had rust spots in the wheel well arch and on the passenger side fender. I sanded them; I put a metal mesh on the fender because the rust went right through; treated the rust with jelly, put some bondo, sanded some more, primed, sanded, put some more bondo, sanded, primed, put four coats of black and two coats of clear, wet sanded, buffed and voila. Cost $30 worth of material. Savings $1,600 (quoted) - 30 = you do the math.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Why not paint the car yourself? Get some cans from Pep Boys and have at it. I did that and got better results than a pro would have done and let's not talk about the $$ he would have charged me.
I had rust spots in the wheel well arch and on the passenger side fender. I sanded them; I put a metal mesh on the fender because the rust went right through; treated the rust with jelly, put some bondo, sanded some more, primed, sanded, put some more bondo, sanded, primed, put four coats of black and two coats of clear, wet sanded, buffed and voila. Cost $30 worth of material. Savings $1,600 (quoted) - 30 = you do the math.
Where you the one who posted the pics of the DIY paint job? If so you did a great job. Im sure your right, but I couldn't repaint an entire car on my lonesome. It needs body work anyway so I might as well just have them do it all. The only part where I would be saving money and also knowing the parts are new and not used is buying them myself and then bringing it to the shop. I figured I'd be saving a little over $1,000 buy doing this, because I am getting the parts at a whole sale cost retail would be twice that. For instant, I have been quoted $150 for 1 fender, I am spending $70 new and primed.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
2 parts. (A)Claims coverage denied!!!??? (B) Fixing it to be perfect.

Have I missed something here?

Are you telling me the Insurance company denied your claim because they claim you were not covered under the collision (less your insurance deductible?) because the billing dates got changed or something?

If there is something like that going on, (a claims coverage question) the question that comes to my mind is if they are acting in bad faith...

Do they claim your collision policy was not in force or effect at the time of the date of loss? Is it not up to them to supply convincing reasons why you were out of trust, or not covered? Are they not supposed to inform you in writing that you are no longer covered, or do they wait till you have a wreck then deny you coverage? Sounds like it could be bad faith.

That is California insurance law, you need to dig a little here, we have an Insurance commisioner, a Dept of Consumer Affairs, and watchdog agencies.

I am getting a subtext here that you may think you have been denied coverage, and so now you are trying to fix your car cheap, because of that; please say I misread something.

Fill us in - what is missing here?

As to the car, it should be repainted in its original color. Cars can sometimes be "saved" from being a total loss by using second hand parts; for example in your case, a HUGE bundle could be saved by putting a used "front clip" (front end consisting of bumper, headlights, valances, hood and fenders, ect.) taken from a junkyard, and bolted on to your car.

Excuse me for sounding a little racist, but in my California experience, I have found some of the VERY best body and paint work on cars to be done by Hispanic and Mexican workers and shops.

For some reason, a high percentage of these people are real professionals, magicians, artists, and really quality workers, at discounted prices, especially compared to run of the mill body shops and dealer body shops, where pride in the workmanship is much less.

Proof of it can be seen in the beautiful body, custom and paintwork seen on the "Lowrider" machines everywhere in Southern California. It is a form of "Orgullo" (pride) to show off the car in a state of beauty, as nice as it can look.

Make your car an "orgullo" candidate, I am sure carefull shopping and asking around will find you a great body and paint shop to work with, especially since you are so fortunate to be right there in the heart of it all, Southern California, near the border too, where theree should be no shortage of great, Mexican and Hispanic owned body shops around everywhere..

I don't know how handy you are about prepping the car, for painting, but if you remove all trim yourself, have the car sanded ahead of time, and a good used front end clip ready, all the body shop would have to do is spray the car and button it all up.

You would save a FORTUNE approaching it that way.

This whole thing could cost you a LOT less than you think it would, to have it back on the road in its original color, if you approach things carefully and cannily...

good luck....

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<

Last edited by cascade; 11-14-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in