post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: My Two Left Feet
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Should I learn how to Speak Spanish?

I've been meaning to inquire this here and would like your opinion. As many know I live in San Diego. During the fires we had a family from Fallbrook stay with us for three days of whom don't speak any English at all. When the ladies son came to the fridge while I was looking for something to eat, he just looked at me. Judging by his look, I thought he was thirsty so in an attempt to communicate, I asked. "Are you thirsty"? He replied with the same look on his face. So, I gave it another try, "El Drinko", he shook his head yes, and I grabbed him something.

My roommate jokingly criticized me and everyone else in the house thought I was joking, but the kid got his drink and I didn't know what to ask.

Just now on a small break, 1 of 2 what seemed to be Mexicans asked me for a smoke, I gave him one, and then one of them proceeded to ask me about my SideKick 3 PDA. I had a small idea what he was asking and answered "Thress". I guess he wanted to know if I would sell it to him for $200. I said no, but he had a long conversation about it of which I couldn't make anything out but the fact that he wanted to buy it off me.

Now, because of where I live should I learn how to speak Spanish and better communicate with a growing population or do you think I can skave by with out one day offending some one? I took Spanish classes when I was younger but for some reason can only say a couple of words.

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Well, you know, it is your country and your language, and they ought to speak it exclusively if they are there, and you ought not have to accomodate them, so if you'd rather not learn any of it, I am all with you.

Yet, the reality of it is that you are pretty close to the border down there, and you are as you know over run with people there, with immigrants, legal or illegal, that are unable and/or unwilling to learn English, and it can help a LOT if you can speak Spanish. In a way it opens a whole new world to you, even if you can only say a little, restaurant Spanish.

I know a little as I was married to a Peruvian, and visited down there a bunch of times where hardly anyone knows English. In places like that, with "total immersion" for a month or so, you learn pretty well, enough for the basics anyway.

The verb tenses are hard, (pluperfect and all of that) but the rest isn't too bad. It is fairly like english, and many words that end in English in "-tion" are identical in Spanish except in "-cion" (situation = situacion, etc.)

The people are pretty kind and friendly and they really love it if you try to speak Spanish.

Especially the Latina girls!!!! "Con permiso? = May I?" "Quisieras bailar? = Would you like to dance?" "Necesitas algo? = Do you need anything?" etc

It might definately be worth the effort.

Start with Por favor (please), Gracias (thank you) Digame mas despacio (Say it to me slower) and you will be on your way.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If you're selling something to them (e.g. capitalizing on their presence rather than condoning or condemning it), you should learn the language. I take issue with it, but that's the reality.

Otherwise, I think the onus for learning a foreign language is on the foreigner. I'd no more go to Spain or France unprepared to speak the language, than I would expect them to come here and have a very good time of it.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Irregardless of what those negative Nellies think, you'll find that learning another language enriches you both intellectually and culturally. There is no intelligent reason not to learn another language--gopher it!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 11:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If I lived in San Diego I would do everything I could to learn Spanish as quickly as possible. It is in YOUR best interest. You live in a state that has a rich Spanish culture and thousands of businesses where many of the folks only speak Spanish. Why limit YOURSELF.

When I was in Santa Cruz I needed to ask directions a couple of times because apparently Santa Cruz believes that, off the main road, signage to points of interest are not ascetically pleasing and it required my somewhat broken Spanish to get the correct directions [but I did get them].

I learned in NYC that Whiteboy from the South was a distinct minority and that more times than not, English was not the primary language so I had as many people as possible helping me learn their language. One restaurant had a Cuban waitress. She taught me Spanish, I helped her get her GED. Another had a Russian server, same deal. I got to teach simple history, math, English and civics and I got to learn very basic Spanish, Russian, Vietnamese and Hindi.

As an aside we also talked religion so I got a pretty good immersion in Hindu, Buddhism, Judaism and Muslim concepts. They got to find out that all Southerners who happened to be recovering Baptists were not out to convert them.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Great advice guys, thanks. I too feel I should learn. I am a very helpful guy and could be more so if I can communicate in other languages. I dated a Japanese girl of whom started to teach me Japanese, the same goes for the 2 German girls I've dated. I was good at reading Dutch and learned how to communicate with her mother when she visited. I lost most of both when we separated but feel Dutch was way more easier to learn then Spanish for what every reason. I will look more into it. I plan on going back to school next year and feel I should take Spanish as a course.

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 12:41 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Learn to speak with Da' cia, she is cute and you will get more for your invested time

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Learn to speak with Da' cia, she is cute and you will get more for your invested time
LOL, she's not Spanish.....LOL

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 03:01 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybydesignw210 View Post
LOL, she's not Spanish.....LOL
That was not the point

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 03:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: Baby
Sly, I am with you. I think it would be advantageous to speak Spanish. It's really the only way to stay empowered over them wetbacks.

Last edited by yoseyman; 11-12-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in