POLL: Romney breaks out 15-point lead over Giuliani in NH... - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 03:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When it looked like Romney had a chance to sit in the White House I decided to get a copy of the Book of Mormons just to see what these people believed. As you can imagine Bangkok book stores don't stock this stuff....so I went on the Mormon web site in the US and asked for a copy of the book. A few days later I got a phone call from a Mormon missionary here in Bangkok; he said he and his partner would deliver the book the next day.

I was prepared. I asked my wife to invite two of her girl friends over so that the three women would be in the apartment when the missionaries arrived.

The two missionaries arrived....dressed in white shirts, black pants, black belts and black shoes...carrying black shoulder bags. After they sat on the couch one of them handed me the book and asked what questions I had about the faith. I told them that I liked their concept of polygamy and introuced the three women with whom I lived. I told them that here I could, unfortunately, have but one wife.

We parted on a sour note.

Anyway, they left their book....and it makes scary reading (if you think normal Christianity is weird....just try lying on top of it a layer of Mormonism):....Christ in Missouri, gold tablets and magic glasses, weird underwear, American Indians at the crucifiction).

I sort of hope Romney gets the nomination....that way the world's microscopes and telescopes will be turned on this strange cult. And, once the rest of the world is made aware of the strange quirks of Mormonism maybe a lot of people will do a reread of Genesis [talking snakes, Eve made from Rib of Adam, Noah's boat, universe in 6 days followed by a worn out God on the 7th, etc.).

2009 BMW Z4, 2014 MB 300S BLUETEC HYBRID, 2005 MB SLK 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 03:53 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkscrew View Post
We parted on a sour note.
Which juice did they not appreciate the lime juice or lemonade that you served or the forbidden juices........
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 03:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat View Post
Which juice did they not appreciate the lime juice or lemonade that you served or the forbidden juices........
I gave them water. Are Mormons not allowed citrus juice? I know they avoid alcohol, tea, coffee and smokes.

Religion is so weird (too bad it is not just only funny bits that stick out).

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:09 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I highly recommend Krakauer's "Under the Banner of Heaven." A fantastic book about Mormonism. What wackos, it's amazing.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 06:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerkebi View Post
I highly recommend Krakauer's "Under the Banner of Heaven." A fantastic book about Mormonism. What wackos, it's amazing.
Just reading from their wacky book is enough:

This is from the Skeptics Annotated Web Page (Google it....they also do one on the bible and the koran)...this bit is just about the Mormans first chapter....about some weird angel who Smith came to see him. Anyway, it quotes and questions this fiction in re science and history:

Science and History in 1 Nephi

"I make a record in the language of my father ... the language of the Egyptians." That's a strange language an Israelite around 600 BCE to write in! There is no evidence of the use of Egyptian writing in pre-Columbian America. 1:2

It only took Nephi and his family three days to travel from Jerusalem to the Red Sea. (A distance of 250 miles) 2:6

Nephi named a "continually running" river that flowed from Arabia to the Red Sea after his son Laman. But there are no permament rivers n Arabia, and there hasn't been since the Pleistocene. 2:8

God made the New World just for Nephi and his family. (For though it had been occupied by the Native Americans for tens of thousands of years, God made it for Nephi, not for them.) 2:20

Laban's sword blade was made of steel, long before steel existed. 4:9

Laban's servant figured Nephi was Laban and that he spoke for the church. What church? The Jews in 600 BCE didn't have churches, did they? 4:26

Nephi sees "many cities" settled by the Nephites in the New World. Yet no evidence of them has ever been found. 12:3

A round brass ball "of curious workmanship" leads Lehi through the wilderness. A compass, perhaps? But compasses didn't exist in 600 BCE. 16:10, 16

Nephi breaks his bow, "which was made of fine steel." But the technology for making steel did not exist in 600 BCE. 16:18

They come to a place that they call Bountiful, "because of its much fruit and also wild honey." But the Arabian coastline does not abound in fruit or honey, and hasn't for many thousands of years. 17:5

"We did work timbers of curious workmanship." But where did Nephi get the lumber? There are very few trees in the Arabian desert. 18:1

Nephi used a compass to navigate with about 1800 years before compasses were discovered. 21

After arriving in the New World, Nephi and company planted all of the seeds that they brought from "the land of Jerusalem" and "they did grow exceedingly." Yet there is no evidence that Near Eastern crops ever grew in the New World
in pre-Columbian times. 18:24

Nephi found cows, horses, oxen, asses, and goats and goats when he arrived in the New World in 590 BCE. Yet none of these domesticated animals existed in North America before the Europeans brought them over 2000 years later. 18:25

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 06:29 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
^^^^All sounds as though they were ahead of their time, seems something to really devote your heart and soul to and hand the most Presidency of the USA to one these followers. Maybe they could help out the US of their coming financial disaster........
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 07:01 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I really thought he was smart too, but I could not believe how clueless he seemed to be from his rambling, ill informed, and simple-minded diatribe that morning. I will admit that I disagree w/ him on most issues, but I was sincerely shocked at his comments and the way he seemed lost on the subject. Perhaps his staff didn't prepare him properly or perhaps he misunderstood or simple wasn't listening to what the Chairman said, but I honestly expected much more from him. I looked for a transcript because I think you would have been disappointed but for some reason it is unavailable. I found several old Q&A's on YouTube but Paul seems to have managed to keep that one out of the public view. For good reason...
I'll have to look for it on YouTube when I get a chance. I'm sure the vid is forthcoming if it isn't there yet.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
So much for Romney’s faith not being an issue.

Jay, you’re opposed to Ron Paul because your GOP party bosses told you to be; Paul is a threat to the Republican establishment. They fear Paul will break the trance the neocons have over the rank and file and return the party to the ways of Goldwater (cue angels singing) which means, among other things, getting out of Iraq.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
I'll have to look for it on YouTube when I get a chance. I'm sure the vid is forthcoming if it isn't there yet.
After nanoseconds of tireless effort, I found this for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAwvlDJgJbM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTBrJNipytg

http://dailypaul.com/node/6444

Here's why some of them say "Again"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSs69qNJ5oc
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Jyahawk, if that's your idea of a blithering idiot, your standards are substantially higher than mine. Dr. Paul wants to eliminate the Fed, and has no trouble at all explaining his reasons. I know that your world revolves around the NYSE, but there really is a bigger picture out there.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in