Have you ever written a pithy letter to the editor of a national periodical and had it printed in a subsequent issue? I wrote one once that never saw the light of printer's ink and haven't tried since. Perhaps some of you have had better luck. Too bad, cuz it all starts over right here. To all you pundits, wags and generally fart smellers, here's the challenge.
Write a letter to the editor of one of the big three monthly auto magazines; Car and Driver
, Road & Track
or Motor Trend
. I picked these three because these are the ones that show up in my bathroom every month. If your letter appears first, you will win a major award to be determined later or maybe just bragging rights.
The letter can be to any of the three publications and on any subject you wish. Personally, I'd keep it related to cars but that's just my "not outside of the box" thinking.
You might have a better idea.
Rules? You bet.
1. You must post the gist of your letter in this thread, along with the name of the magazine(s) to which it was submitted, prior to its publication to establish its authenticity. Don't print it word for word because I don't think they will print a letter that is not original and if they do any type of research, they could Google it and find it here, preventing it from being posted. Call me paranoid but I don't want someone to lose due to the rules.
2. The first letter posted IN the magazine wins. It doesn't matter if you post here first before some one else and your letter makes it into the issue that follows the issue theirs appeared in.
A January issue letter will beat a February issue letter. Period.
3. In the event of a tie, there will be several tie breakers.
- If you manage to work in any of the following "Special" words, 'Benz', 'World', 'Off' or 'Topic', your letter will take precedence. Any one of these words will beat no words. Two words will beat one word and so on.
- If the number of words is equal, the "Special" words will be assigned a numerical value. The highest point total wins.
Benz = 4 points
World = 3 points
Off = 2 points
Topic= 1 point
- A "Letter of the Month" winner beats any quantity of the special words.
- A "Letter of the Month" containing the "Special" words will beat a "Letter of the Month containing fewer or none of the "Special" words. The same point system will be in effect in the event the quantities are equal.
- A screen name included in the BODY of the letter is the ultimate tiebreaker. That way, Jim or Ed can't win automatically by having their names printed.
- In the event the NONE of these tiebreakers help, maybe someone can start a poll and the winner can be voted on. I dunno.
- I reserve the right to add any other rules that may be needed to cover something I missed.
4. There is no limit to the number of letters you may write or the magazines you may write to.
5. Any side bets on who might win will be the sole responsibility of the bettors.
Or, we can just continue posting here and life goes on as usual.