post #71 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Fluff: YouTube - Ron Paul on Federal Reserve, banking and economy

Substance: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
In fact, there are so many thousands of Ron Paul videos up there now, it's difficult to find specific ones. Try this one, it is a 20 minute interview by some real live on-air economists in 3 parts. You may want to skip Part 1 (generalities and politics), and go right to Parts 2 & 3. If these don't answer some of your questions, blame the interviewers. Dr. Paul will directly answer any question put to him to the best of his ability. You will also find other videos on the same topic listed right there.

YouTube - Part 1 Congressman Ron Paul on The Korelin Economics Report

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #73 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Great minds think alike.
post #74 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 06:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
In fact, there are so many thousands of Ron Paul videos up there now, it's difficult to find specific ones. Try this one, it is a 20 minute interview by some real live on-air economists in 3 parts. You may want to skip Part 1 (generalities and politics), and go right to Parts 2 & 3. If these don't answer some of your questions, blame the interviewers. Dr. Paul will directly answer any question put to him to the best of his ability. You will also find other videos on the same topic listed right there.

YouTube - Part 1 Congressman Ron Paul on The Korelin Economics Report
Those were pretty interesting. As you have seen from many of my previous posts I do agree with much of what Paul has to say about the economy and some of his 2006 predictions have been pretty accurate.

I was truly intrigued as to why he had such a thing against the Federal Reserve and their role in the economy but these videos cleared part of it up.

While he has a good grasp of some elements of the economy, his understanding of what all the triggers inflations is somewhat biased toward his perception that the FED and Congress devalued the Dollar [thus being the primary cause of inflation in some unconstitutional manner. He is right and wrong. Right that they have a role in that inflation, wrong that it is unconstitutional. It is, as the Constitution says their job.

A couple of nits [but you guys would not expect any less detail]
I would have been happier if that interview had been by REAL Economists instead of the Korelin Economic Report which is run by Al Korelin [MBA-Finance] and Paul Warren [Talk Show Host] TalkStar - Al Korelin . The Korelin Economic Report is a canned program that is focused on selling Gold and other fixed assets and historically seems to have a vested interest in trashing the Fed and the US Federal Reserve Note [Dollar Standard vs Gold Standard] The Korelin Economics Report

I would have also preferred to have seen a host that actually questioned Dr. Paul instead of treating him like an old friend and former gold trading client.

I still did not see a single thing that talked about a plan for the future, a blueprint or even outline of what Dr. Paul would do if he became President and tried to remove the Federal Reserve, move the Dollar back to the Gold Standard [the financial earthquake that attempt would cause Worldwide would be staggering] or disassemble the IRS.

What I saw was a very good prognostication of what we have playing out right now in housing, credit and the dollar, a very strong opinion that the paper standard is bad yet no path to a solution.

I have known all along he is the smartest guy on the Republican side and that shows but I still have not seen a single piece of detail of what to do after step 1. That worries me. We need steps 2-100.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #75 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 06:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
^ I know you're no stranger to e-mailing or phoning politicians. I think it'd be very interesting to see him have such a discussion - in person, or via e-mail - with you.
I got pissed not being able to track down information that I wanted so this is now in the works. Amazing what an email with specifics will do.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #76 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
^ Why does that sound so familiar....
post #77 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
You are asking for a level of explanation and detail from the man that no presidential candidate provides. I would venture to say that, outside of Dennis Kucinich (who may be his equal in this regard), Dr. Paul is the most consistent and direct in regard to his message, his ideology and his responses to direct questions of all the candidates, and that if asked the questions you want asked, he would answer them to the best of his ability, rather than sidestep them. Of all the presidential candidates, I believe Dr. Paul would also be the most likely to give you an honest "I don't know", and I like that a lot.

I'm sure he has ideas, the man is no dunce, and has played this game for nearly 20 years, but I rather doubt that he has a firm notion of who or what his base would be on Capital Hill, other than the handful of pols who consistently side with him on most issues. That really doesn't trouble me at all. Worst case scenario is that the Dems and GOP rally together to create the biggest political stalemate in the history of our nation in regard to domestic affairs, thus ending the ridiculous partisan bickering and runaway spending in one fell swoop. In the meantime, foreign policy and military operations come right in line with my own views. All in all, I see a Dr. Paul presidency / Democratic congress as a fine pairing that could go a long way toward healing the damage inflicted upon our nation and the world by the current administration.

Take a look and see if there are any Ron Paul Meetups anywhere in your area in the near future. I have a feeling you would enjoy the experience, and you might even get a chance to ask him a question or two yourself.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #78 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 06:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
You are asking for a level of explanation and detail from the man that no presidential candidate provides. I would venture to say that, outside of Dennis Kucinich (who may be his equal in this regard), Dr. Paul is the most consistent and direct in regard to his message, his ideology and his responses to direct questions of all the candidates, and that if asked the questions you want asked, he would answer them to the best of his ability, rather than sidestep them. Of all the presidential candidates, I believe Dr. Paul would also be the most likely to give you an honest "I don't know", and I like that a lot.

I'm sure he has ideas, the man is no dunce, and has played this game for nearly 20 years, but I rather doubt that he has a firm notion of who or what his base would be on Capital Hill, other than the handful of pols who consistently side with him on most issues. That really doesn't trouble me at all. Worst case scenario is that the Dems and GOP rally together to create the biggest political stalemate in the history of our nation in regard to domestic affairs, thus ending the ridiculous partisan bickering and runaway spending in one fell swoop. In the meantime, foreign policy and military operations come right in line with my own views. All in all, I see a Dr. Paul presidency / Democratic congress as a fine pairing that could go a long way toward healing the damage inflicted upon our nation and the world by the current administration.

Take a look and see if there are any Ron Paul Meetups anywhere in your area in the near future. I have a feeling you would enjoy the experience, and you might even get a chance to ask him a question or two yourself.
I agree completely with the above. Makes perfect sense. I have not been trying to say the guy is wrong, just pointing out that if someone is going to try and take the Country into a new direction [IRS, Gold Standard, etc] it would be mighty fine to have a really good map and plan to insure that person knew what they were doing before hooking up with them. I watched too many glassy eyed folks hook onto W's coattails without looking at the details back in 1999 and it was a trend that I would not like to see repeated.

As for meetups, I did not see that link. I went to the state links and noted that Kentucky did not have an update in a while. I did, however tag a friend in Florida that has been bombing my email so I called and she hooked me up with a dc staffer who is forwarding an email. Most likely it will go into the virtual shredder but maybe not.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #79 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
While he has a good grasp of some elements of the economy, his understanding of what all the triggers inflations is somewhat biased toward his perception that the FED and Congress devalued the Dollar [thus being the primary cause of inflation in some unconstitutional manner. He is right and wrong. Right that they have a role in that inflation, wrong that it is unconstitutional. It is, as the Constitution says their job.
Just one small point, congress did not devalue the dollar. The Fed did, and neither congressional permission, nor oversight were required for them to do so. Dr. Paul takes issue with the fact that congress chose to shirk its constitutional responsibilities by creating the Fed in the first place.

post #80 of 91 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus

(Thread Starter)
mcbear, have you ever heard of Mike Folkerth? He is a self-described economist and a fan of Dr. Paul. The link below points to a brief article, and invites online discussion and questions. Just thought you might want to engage the fellow regarding a couple of your points..

Ron Paul and The Gold Standard:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in