Question For A Black Man - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Designo_E320

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Thumbs up My idol and hero!

Ben Carson, MD has been my role model and hero ever since I met him when I was in high school. His book, "Gifted Hands" will answer all questions and I urge everyone to buy it and read it. You won't be able to put that book down until you have finished it so do it over the weekend.
I will definitely be putting my .02 in later on as someone who is neither white nor black, someone from the outside lookin in, although I have to go through a "different" kind of racism in daily life.
Benjamin Carson
Dr. Ben Carson
Benjamin Solomon Carson (born September 18, 1951 in Michigan)[1] is a noted American neurosurgeon. He became the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital when he was 33 years old.

Benjamin Carson was born in inner city Detroit, Michigan, and he has one older brother Curtis. His mother Sonya had high expectations for her sons despite her third grade education and the fact she married at the age of thirteen. She and Benjamin's father divorced when he was eight years old. Sonya pressured her sons to go from the bottom of the class to the top.
When Sonya saw Benjamin's falling grades she was determined to turn around her sons' lives. She limited their time with the television and only let them play outside when all of their school work was done. She also made them read two books a week and then write bookreports on what they had read, even though she couldn't understand most of it due to her poor education.
One day when Carson's teacher brought in a sample rock, Benjamin recognized it and amazed his classmates, causing them to realize that he wasn't as dumb as they once believed. In a year's time he was on top of his class. With his new found thirst for knowledge he studied hard in all subjects, studying not just for the sake of a test or to pass, but to quench his thirst for knowledge. Carson later developed an interest in psychology, and he graduated from high school with honors.
Carson then attended Yale University where he earned a degree in Psychology. From there he went to the University of Michigan Medical School. There his interest shifted from psychology to neurosurgery, and after medical school he went to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. At age 32, he became the hospital's Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery.
In 1987, Carson made medical history with an operation to separate a pair of siamese twins. The Binder twins were joined at the back of the head. Previous operations such as these failed causing both twins to die or only saving one. After 22 hours of surgery with a staff of seventy on hand the operation came out a success.
In 1997 he traveled to South Africa where he led a 70-member team in the successful separation of 11-month old Zambian twin boys, Joseph and Luka Banda, joined at the head. The twins did not share any organs but did share intricate blood vessels which flowed into each child's brain. According to Carson, he had performed surgical rehearsals with a computerized, 3-D virtual workbench that allowed him to visualize computerized reconstructions of the twins' brains. The operation lasted 22 hours. The twins, who are doing well, live in Zambia.
In 2003, he was a member of the surgical team which worked to separate conjoined siblings Ladan and Laleh Bijani. When they asked why he had performed such a risky surgery, he said that he had heard them say that they would rather die than stay conjoined.
Carson has received numerous honors and awards including more than 20 honorary doctorate degrees. He is a member of the American Academy of Achievement, the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans, the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, and many other prestigious organizations. He sits on many boards including the Board of Directors of Kellogg Company, Costco Wholesale Corporation, Yale Corporation (the governing body of Yale University), and America's Promise. He is also the president and co-founder of the Carson Scholars Fund, which recognizes young people of all backgrounds for exceptional academic and humanitarian accomplishments. Carson did a cameo in the 2003 movie Stuck on You (starring Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear) where he dons a surgeon mask to separate the conjoined twins.
Carson was appointed to the President's Council on Bioethics by George W. Bush in 2004.
In addition to being a surgeon, Carson is also a writer who has authored three bestsellers: Gifted Hands, The Big Picture, and Think Big. The first book is an autobiography, and the latter two are about his personal philosophies of success that incorporate hard work and a faith in God. Ben Carson is a Seventh-day Adventist, and an outspoken Christian.
Carson has been married to Candy Carson for twenty-five years and has three sons. He also has a middle school named after him, Benjamin S. Carson Honors Preparatory Middle School.
For the 2006 PBS program African American Lives, Carson, along with other notable African Americans such as Oprah Winfrey and comedian Chris Tucker, had his DNA tested to discover his original African ancestry. The genetic test determined that some of his ancestors originated from the Lunda ethnic group, who are currently located in Angola, Congo, and Zambia.
Dr. Carson has also had success with Trigeminal neuralgia. Using Radio frequency and Glycerine Rhizotomy he has saved many lives from this painful disease noted as "the suicide disease" due to the level of pain.

Last edited by Designo_E320; 10-26-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:49 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben Carson operated on my kid and saved his life, he's my hero too!
Good call Sly!

post #53 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Designo_E320

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Ben Carson operated on my kid and saved his life, he's my hero too!
Good call Sly!
Sly or Designo?
post #54 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:55 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Designo_E320 View Post
Sly or Designo?
His boy is fine but they had to use 3/4 of Professors brain to do the procedure.

post #55 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: My Two Left Feet
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
You dance too
Hey why don't you join my group of dancers and get paid rather than this goody goody volunteering stuff, besides I need an African to complete the Tarzan ensemble cast. Can you stick a fake bone in your nose? The ladies will dig that for sure they love the stereotyping an shit
Drew I would except your offer as sweet as it is, but I would be concerned with you loosing money do to genetics.........

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
post #56 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: My Two Left Feet
I guess this is where OT takes over in a downward spiral as all threads do ha...LOL

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father.
post #57 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Designo_E320

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybydesignw210 View Post
Drew I would except your offer as sweet as it is, but I would be concerned with you loosing money do to genetics.........
post #58 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 04:36 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 01 E55, 01 ML55, and 84 325E
Heritage.org has a good article that I feel is relevant for this discussion.

• The major underlying factors producing child poverty in the United States are welfare dependence and single parenthood.
• Race per se is not a factor in producing child poverty; race alone does not directly increase or decrease the probability that a child will be poor.
• When a black child is compared with a white child raised in identical circumstances, both children will have the same probability of living in poverty.
• Similarly, when whites with high levels of single parenthood and welfare dependence (matching those typical in the black community) are compared to blacks, the poverty rates for both groups are nearly identical.
• Black American children are more likely to live in poverty than are white children, primarily because black children are far more likely to live in single-parent families and to be on welfare.

This is not a Black problem. It is a problem with all races. One has to help themself out of poverty. Free handouts only build a since of entitlement in most cases.

It doesn’t help that today’s welfare system in designed to keep you dependant on the system.

It would go a long way in helping the problem if black men would step up and take responsibility for fatherhood.

Last edited by arcaidy76; 10-26-2007 at 04:38 PM. Reason: I can't spell...
post #59 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaidy76 View Post
It would go a long way in helping the problem if black men would step up and take responsibility for fatherhood.
But that is exactly how they behave in Jamaica and in their roots in Africa....

Can't you see the connection?
post #60 of 74 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 05:10 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybydesignw210 View Post
Yeah my genetics predisposition says that I should be a criminal, a thug or basically a wise guy but I managed to fight these urges throughout my life and made myself a respectable and soon to be very popular exotic dancer. Of course none of my family members know what gumba here is doing. Whenever they call I tell them I am still in the education racket and I am working my way to control the state education budget.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in