Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Keeping The Faith

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7053157.stm

Chime in - where's God in your part of the U.S. (or indeed, the world)?
The US may be one of the most religious countries in the West but is it undergoing a period of doubt.
A few days ago, I attended a memorial service for a friend who died far too young, of throat cancer. The service was held at a history museum, and it was packed - standing room only.

What was curious, initially, was the lack of any reference to religion. My friend had left a final set of instructions: he wanted to be remembered first as a husband to his wife of more than 20 years, and second as a citizen of his city, and third as a lover of history.

During the tributes, there were many references to how the past can inform our decisions in the present. There were nods to reason and friendship and love.

The closest anyone came to mentioning God or spirituality was when someone told the widow, as an aside, that you often visit the deceased through dreams - when they can appear at no particular prompting.

Even if the formal religion was absent, the habit of expressing a hope for spiritual optimism remains. The secular funeral is still somewhat of a novelty, at least to me.

But it may be something that we see more and more of in the future - particularly on the West Coast, the most unchurched part of the United States.

It may be daring to say it but America seems to be experiencing an atheist moment. Although "In God We Trust" was declared the national motto by an act of Congress more than 50 years ago and has been stamped on the currency for longer than that, some considerable doubt has developed of late.

If you look at the bestseller list over the last year, you'll find a number of books on atheism - to the surprise of the publishing industry.

God has always moved in not-so-mysterious ways when it comes to the literary world. He can sell books, especially ones that foretell an apocalyptic ending just around the corner.

The so-called Left Behind books, a series of novels envisioning the Rapture, when the good are separated from the evil in a fiery judgment day, sell in the millions. They are not for the faint of faith.

Another genre, self-help books that invoke God for the sake of making money, losing weight or finding a date, have a permanent home on the bestseller list. God is kept very busy with this segment of the market.

But until this year, there was thought to be little support - or audience - for tomes by the anti-religious. Several books changed that.

On the academic side, we have God: The Failed Hypothesis by Victor Stenger and Nothing: Something to Believe In by Nica Lalli.

The three most popular books are God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by the newly-Americanized Christopher Hitchens, The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris.

These bestsellers are not cursory academic surveys; they are full-bore polemics against religion, challenging the very idea of God.

Hitchens, with his quick wit and his quiver of quotes from long-dead British luminaries which he carries over from his schoolboy days in England, seems to be having the most fun and the most effect.

You could call him the Pied Piper of non-believers. He makes it a point to debate with a cleric in every city he visits, and is a frequent guest on conservative and religious radio stations.

The premise of his book is that while religion may have served people well in the age of ignorance, now that science can explain the world there is no reason to attribute the sun, the moon and forces like gravity to higher beings.

As he says, the nine-year-old knows more about the natural world now than the leading scholars of a thousand years ago. What has rankled his critics most is his suggestion that religion is usually a force for bad.

elievers point out that people of faith have been at the forefront of significant improvements in human rights and in caring for fellow humans over centuries - everything from abolition of slavery to the civil rights movement in this country, to church-led efforts to reduce starvation and disease in less-developed countries.

I ran into Hitchens not long ago at a book festival where he was jousting away and getting rich in the process. He looked just as the New York Times Book Review had described him: "A village atheist standing in the square trying to pick arguments with the good citizens on their way to church."

I asked Hitchens why he thought his book had such a sudden rise to the top of the bestseller charts when polls show that - at most - barely one-half-of-one-percent of Americans call themselves atheists.

He said that the polls were misleading. There is a large and fast-growing segment of the population that is lapsed or well onto its way to atheism but is afraid to admit it.

"If you're a lapsed Catholic," Hitchens told me. "You're part of a very large and fast-growing group."

Many of those people, of course, might be agnostic rather than atheist?

Revulsion at zealots

More than anything, people without faith hate the description of them as empty or soulless. They have long been singled out for a special kind of hell.

The constitution of the state of Texas, for example, allows discrimination against atheists in employment or jury duty - provisions that have been nullified by federal laws.

And even my mother used to lower her voice in the kind of whisper reserved for people with terminal brain cancer when she described a neighbour as.... an atheist.

Non-believers say they have also been aided by the revulsion of fair-minded Americans to the religious zealotry behind the September 11 attacks and the subsequent violence on behalf of radical Islam.

The latest round of atheism books point to countless wars, slaughters and massacres done in the name of My God is Better than Your God. The 9/11 attacks got people thinking about what sort of God could be summoned for such awfulness.
Much more at the link - interesting read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Does a preponderance of faith in the ethereal represent anything other than a lack of faith in everything else?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I would venture to say the Catholic Priest molestation scandals, Jim Bakker, Jimmy Swaggart, the Baptist preacher found dead in a wet suit with a dildo up his sphincter are many of the reasons the public has become disenfranchised with religion in general. Personas such as Billy Graham are a dying breed being replaced with the likes of Kenneth Copeland and Creflo Dollar. Simply put: The more money you have, the more they're going to 'care' about your soul.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

And let's not forget a self-proclaimed born-again christian president inciting our nation into an act of wanton mass murder. No conflict there......

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Certainly, the trend religion has taken towards being entertainment franchises has validated and galvanized my opposition to them.

There are several 24 hour evangelical television networks. I know of companies that build these monstrous Baptist churches, and they are each well into the 8-figure range. Every time I see one go up, I wonder how much good could have been done with the money required to erect such a non-Christian edifice. Do not Christians observe the 7 deadly sins, to include greed, pride, and gluttony?

Newer churches are disconnected from any larger organization, and are all about entertainment. "Lifechurch.tv" for example, sets up franchises - the sermon comes from a central HQ, and everyone else is basically in an auditorium watching it on what amounts to very expensive Pay Per View. I've drooled over the sound reinforcement equipment these joints put in place. It's not every day you get to put your hands on mixing consoles that feed hundreds of thousands of dollars and watts of very high end audio gear.

The suspension of disbelief is becoming increasingly difficult for religious organizations to maintain among their flocks, largely because it's dangerous and expensive for the people who do so. They have to question everythiing - even things they never imagined could warrant scrutiny. It's only a matter of time before the spotlight shines on religion. When it does, just wait and see how the rats scurry away.

That said, I still don't see the sense in declaring "There is no God." What a sad existence it would be.

Last edited by Qubes; 10-22-2007 at 02:36 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:36 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I have faith in aapl

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:36 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
"- at most - barely one-half-of-one-percent of Americans call themselves atheists".

Scary.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

I recall waking up one christmas morning to discover solid evidence that Santa Claus had paid a visit during the night while I slept. There was a bevy of new presents under the tree, and a half-consumed glass of milk next to some cookie crumbs on a counter top. This was solid evidence that pointed to an obvious conclusion that a 300-lb man in a bright red suit who had parked a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer onto my roof, had managed to drop through a chimney barely wide enough for one leg and deposited a truckload of presents in my living room before enjoying a snack, all without leaving a single trace of soot in the house or betraying how he could have possibly made it back to the roof without the aid of an industrial crane.

I only mention this story, because I have never seen similarly compelling evidence to indicate the existence of the object of all this Western faith. And please keep in mind, I bought the Santa Claus thing hook, line and sinker.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:54 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
And when I was a kid, it was purely sound economic policy to believe in the tooth fairy.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 02:58 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
my cats and dog think that i am God

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in