Keeping The Faith - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 07:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar XJR, 1994 E320(sold)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post

I only mention this story, because I have never seen similarly compelling evidence to indicate the existence of the object of all this Western faith. And please keep in mind, I bought the Santa Claus thing hook, line and sinker.

What kind of evidence would you need to believe? Jesus walked these grounds 2000 years ago. Do you expect him to come see you personally?

My Car WOO HOO...... Now SOLD
New car.... 2001 Jaguar XJR!!!!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 08:44 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
I like the notion of a secular funeral. Hmmm...
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 09:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
Certainly, the trend religion has taken towards being entertainment franchises has validated and galvanized my opposition to them.

There are several 24 hour evangelical television networks. I know of companies that build these monstrous Baptist churches, and they are each well into the 8-figure range. Every time I see one go up, I wonder how much good could have been done with the money required to erect such a non-Christian edifice. Do not Christians observe the 7 deadly sins, to include greed, pride, and gluttony?
Now, coming from the South, the zipper of the Bible Belt you would think that I might see evidence of these large churches of which you speak. Maybe there would be some evidence of their zealous overspending.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
God has absolutely nothing to do with any organized religion.

Pascal Wager is good enough to convince me that God does exist.

What all those sycofants who want your money have to do with God?
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
I recall waking up one christmas morning to discover solid evidence that Santa Claus had paid a visit during the night while I slept. There was a bevy of new presents under the tree, and a half-consumed glass of milk next to some cookie crumbs on a counter top. This was solid evidence that pointed to an obvious conclusion that a 300-lb man in a bright red suit who had parked a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer onto my roof, had managed to drop through a chimney barely wide enough for one leg and deposited a truckload of presents in my living room before enjoying a snack, all without leaving a single trace of soot in the house or betraying how he could have possibly made it back to the roof without the aid of an industrial crane.

I only mention this story, because I have never seen similarly compelling evidence to indicate the existence of the object of all this Western faith. And please keep in mind, I bought the Santa Claus thing hook, line and sinker.
GS, I guess you don't believe in Santa Claus anymore.

Such a pity
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:16 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
I believe in the power of love, Huey Lewis sings it really convincingly.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 07:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine_coon View Post
God has absolutely nothing to do with any organized religion.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. I definitely make the distinction between religious spirituality and organized religion. I think more and more people are loosing their taste for organized religion but are actively engaged in a personal relationship with whatever they consider God to be. I believe that most organized religions are primarily concerned with maintaining/strengthening the organization above all else, and this actually drives people into more personal reflection about what they believe and how they interact with God.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
^ That's agnostic. That's me.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 07:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 85 300 TDT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 94Wagenmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I like the notion of a secular funeral. Hmmm...
I attended a Universalist Unitarian service recently, and it was really quite moving. While taking place in a 'church' - although I don't think it was called that - there was no religious iconography, no crosses, no stained glass. Just a gathering of friends and family, music, and remembrances. Pretty cool, actually. Enough to make this lapsed catholic look into the UUA. And, to the best of my knowledge, no UUA official has ever been caught boogering an altar boy, or accumulating vast wealth or a media empire!

Scott in MD/DC
85 TDT the "Blue Whale"
past: W124 wagon, W126, W202, W201, lotsa VDubs
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlomon View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head here. I definitely make the distinction between religious spirituality and organized religion. I think more and more people are loosing their taste for organized religion but are actively engaged in a personal relationship with whatever they consider God to be. I believe that most organized religions are primarily concerned with maintaining/strengthening the organization above all else, and this actually drives people into more personal reflection about what they believe and how they interact with God.
"Every day people are straying away from the church and going back to God." - Lenny Bruce.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in